Jump to content
ElderKoala

Escaping the "Belly of the Beast"

Recommended Posts

So, I'm working on a Rival... possibly Nemesis that will use a Grasp / Bite / Swallow attack.  Biologically, let's use the Sarlacc for comparison.  Once it swallows you, you're going to starve to death long before it digests you. 

I was thinking of an Escape? ability?  Maybe?  Athletics (3) or Weapon (2 Advantage or 1 Triump) to escape.  The trick is being eaten by the bad guy isn't the problem.  It's while you're in its belly you can't stop what the rest of it is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what the exact creature is. How big it is, what the nature of it is. Just a big monster that swallows whole? You'd need to cut or push your way out. Some kind of magical being? It may require other methods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A giant, saltwater crocodile modeled after gummy crocodile.  About the size of a School bus.  It's hide is rock candy, it's teeth are shattered jaw breaker frags.  It's innards are that sloshy gusher candy fill stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their first real adventure is going to be going up a Candy Maker akin to Willy Wonka driven mad by Elridtch Influence.  Mini-boss one is the Saltwater Crocodile.  So, the biologicals still work in these mad creations, but they're candy based. 

31 minutes ago, ESP77 said:

Eat your way out?

That'd be the defacto "You failed to get out during the scene, eventually, you manage to claw and bite your way out.  You gained 7 lbs and have early onset diabetes, but you're finally free."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I adore this monster so much.

Resilience could be an option. It's not your skill or strength, it's how long you can hold out. After all, gummy candy isn't very strong (unless it's cold). Have to succeed at a Resilience roll to get to the hide, then Athletics to bust through the skin. Alternately, a harder resilience roll to go out the *ahem* back door

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ElderKoala is going to be GM'ing the best 'fun with a capital U' sessions, I like the idea of putting some fun/comedy into the RPG environment, they'll have to speedily reprint the core rule book with a new Part III Chapter 4:Tones section 'Playful humour and comedy' as silly can actually be quite sensible as I can imagine some of ElderKoala's ideas being a LOT of fun to play. This silly fun style of play is quite appealing. And so ideal for a narrative system as they lend themselves better to creative problem solving/outcomes perhaps even more than some other tones.

 

Even enjoyable fails, for the candy based monster's lunch situation, "well I'm just going to die a horrible sticky death. But I'm going to die it with the sweet tastes of lemon sherbet, chocolate mint, gummy cola bottles and all those other favourites. Because even though I can't get out I can make the most of my demise by licking my candy prison 'til it's game over."

 

Makes me think some easter eggs from the realms of RPG's and their inspirations would be fun for comic play:

Gelatinous Cola Cube, Gelatinous Ice Cube, Gelatinous Ice Cream Cube, G (o)M-inous Dice Cube, Gee-enius Puzzle Cube, Gelatenous cube root of 27, Deus Ex Machina (which is an actual Deus Ex Machina of course, if I was doing a steampunk I'd be so tempted to put in an 'a contrived plot device' item), (again best suited to steampunk): a clockwork games master, Easter Egg (a subtly placed item in a game or creative setting that makes witty often comical or tongue-in-cheek reference to something in another creative or real setting) or maybe just a chocolatey treat nom nom nom

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Easter eggs et al / ate all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

I think ElderKoala is going to be GM'ing the best 'fun with a capital U' sessions, I like the idea of putting some fun/comedy into the RPG environment, they'll have to speedily reprint the core rule book with a new Part III Chapter 4:Tones section 'Playful humour and comedy' as silly can actually be quite sensible as I can imagine some of ElderKoala's ideas being a LOT of fun to play. This silly fun style of play is quite appealing. And so ideal for a narrative system as they lend themselves better to creative problem solving/outcomes perhaps even more than some other tones.

 

Even enjoyable fails, for the candy based monster's lunch situation, "well I'm just going to die a horrible sticky death. But I'm going to die it with the sweet tastes of lemon sherbet, chocolate mint, gummy cola bottles and all those other favourites. Because even though I can't get out I can make the most of my demise by licking my candy prison 'til it's game over."

 

Makes me think some easter eggs from the realms of RPG's and their inspirations would be fun for comic play:

Gelatinous Cola Cube, Gelatinous Ice Cube, Gelatinous Ice Cream Cube, G (o)M-inous Dice Cube, Gee-enius Puzzle Cube, Gelatenous cube root of 27, Deus Ex Machina (which is an actual Deus Ex Machina of course, if I was doing a steampunk I'd be so tempted to put in an 'a contrived plot device' item), (again best suited to steampunk): a clockwork games master, Easter Egg (a subtly placed item in a game or creative setting that makes witty often comical or tongue-in-cheek reference to something in another creative or real setting) or maybe just a chocolatey treat nom nom nom

I try to aim for a cross between Law and Order and Jerry Springer (best way I can describe it.)  If anyone is familiar with Spycraft 2.0, we ran a campaign where a terrorist cell was planning to ruin a mall christmas event.  Agents went in hot, and legit had to call a gaming time out to recover from the laughing fit when they discovered the terrorists were all legit 'height restricted genetic individuals'(?).  (I know you can't say midget, and Dwarf has the wrong definition here. lol)  One player literally, between laughing fits asked.. "Wait.. you're telling us the terrorists are a cell of ..legit santa elves????"  Yes.  <insert more laughter.>

There are definitely some serious, straight moments.  Bank robber with a ski mask and a 12 gauge.  ...and then there's the "Go check out Harristown.  They were ******* about an earthquake.. (in the middle of Ohio...) and now we can't get them on Radio."  Players drive up to find rampaging bi-pedal Rabbits with re-purposed garden tools as melee weapons ravaging the town while a super intelligent turnip dove in their backseat and demanded "DRIVE **** IT DRIVE!".  Some days you just never know what the universe will throw at you.

Is it me or is Genesys missing rules for grappling??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ElderKoala said:

Is it me or is Genesys missing rules for grappling??

It’s not got a cluster bomb of incomprehensible gibberish if that’s what you mean!

Star Wars has a single talent that allows you to grapple your opponent, it forces them to take two manoeuvres to disengage from you. Beyond that the Brawl skill is all you really need for most situations.

If it’s for some kind of test of strength or a competition then I would use an Opposed Athletics skill challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElderKoala said:

While I'm not looking for theoretical physics-level rules of grappling, I am in need of Initiate, Counter or Control, what you can do if they fail to counter.  Namely so my Saltwater Gummy-dile can go GULP!

Isn't that more swallowing *burp*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 8:36 PM, Richardbuxton said:

It’s not got a cluster bomb of incomprehensible gibberish if that’s what you mean!

Star Wars has a single talent that allows you to grapple your opponent, it forces them to take two manoeuvres to disengage from you. Beyond that the Brawl skill is all you really need for most situations.

If it’s for some kind of test of strength or a competition then I would use an Opposed Athletics skill challenge.

You're right.  I was falling back into the old trap of 1 round is 1 action and 1 action is 1 roll.  Where in Genesys, one roll is a myriad of actions that happen and the result is the combination of all that.  You might take 6 damage from a revolver, but it's not just from 1 bullet.  It's the combination of the glass that cut you from the first bullet, the grazing of the second bullet... etc. combined.  So... TALENTS it is!  (Brawn!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head, and probably horribly unbalanced:

Grappling Master 10XP

May take a Grapple action when engaged with an opponent. Brawl, difficulty 3. If you succeed, the opponent cannot disengage on their next turn unless they succeed at an opposed Brawl check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Talandar said:

Off the top of my head, and probably horribly unbalanced:

Grappling Master 10XP

May take a Grapple action when engaged with an opponent. Brawl, difficulty 3. If you succeed, the opponent cannot disengage on their next turn unless they succeed at an opposed Brawl check.

I was going even simpler.  Skipping the "grapple" part and rolling it into action.

Big Gulp!:  As an Action and a Maneuver, this character may make a [Engaged] Brawn (3) check.  If successful, the engaged character is 'swallowed'.  'Swallowed' characters are considered grappled, may not disengage and may not normally move.  'Swallowed' characters may use the "GET ME THE *BLEEP* OUT OF HERE!* talent ability.  This character may hold two characters at one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

which could literally be the bleep out of there if you don't escape by any other means (ewwww)

 

Fun consequence potential (both in Descent and Genesys) for such 'being lunch' experiences:

However you get out if you do it probably ain't gonna be pretty and it may be the sewers or wherever such final food destination is for the next quest, this could be fun for Descent as a means to determine which quest comes next, although probably done as subtly as that being the next quest location setting. I'm so tempted to use this. Heroes eaten by dragon. What next?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's that... I should include a semi-terrifying monster at the end to make sure the players understand that while it was messed up, the danger is real?  ..and.. wait.. what's that.. there should be an other-dimensional Jello Gibbering Mouther?  Except it should be the size of a metro bus?  Watercolour Dragon, I like you're thinking! 

Then end up 'freed' during the necroposy of the monster after the agency now recruiting them kills it after they weakened it yet still ended up eating them?  I LIKE IT!

Edited by ElderKoala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You folks are awesome and I'll spin up a separate thread with the Wonda Bonkers Candy Factory of Sugar-fed Nightmares with my Works-in-Progress.  Watercolour's "You get excreted into the next mission" has altered my plans quite a bit.  And will serve for a good intro to their agency.  I've changed the Saltwater Gummydile to Gummy-rihana's.  We also have Rock-rantuals (Rock Candy Tarantulas), Salt Water Taffy-o-Wars, and more to come.  (Those Kobolds are going in as oompa-loompas!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since we’re diving heads first down the rabbit hole...

How about a kraken made of licorice?

Dire Gummy Bears?

Battle hardened Christmas elves wielding candy cane swords and sling shots with jawbreaker ammo (obviously we need a special crit results table)?

A wizard that casts Fireball, but no, not the flaming kind!  No, this spell rains down cinnamon candy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need an IP partner so we can churn out loads of stuff for it and focus on it so much we forget what else really matters (everybody's doing it these days).

 

Correction we need several IP's

 

And sugar's being made illegal this year (might not be strictly true) as it's so bad for us so there will surely be a sugar rush (we can use that tagline) of jumping on board our gummy-gravy train

 

*searches 'trending in 2018' (oh the commitment to good comedy)* * decides 2018's actually seeming a bit dull, tries some other searches for ideas *

Brek-exit? Those who want to stay in the belly of the beast vs those who want to leave, politics is always open to bribery opportunities I mean sponsorship opportunities

Other games? Eat Fighter? Legend of the Five Onion Rings? Out of the frying pandroid? Cosmic Space Dust Popping Candy Encounters, Letters from whitechocolate, Twiglet Imperium, Hey that's MY fish finger........

Movies? Maize Runners, dangerous giant corn (not to mention the unisweetcorns) is all over town; Winorlosechester; Piescraper, ..... see we're already on to a winner

TV? Star Tuck? The Walking Fed (mind you, name may confuse, may not be obvious it's as in food)? Twin Sweets, Big Licorice Lies.

And of course food itself- sugar rush mice, pastanimals, crispy were bears, funny chocolate bunnies, not so sweet animal sweets, hot dog sausage dog, marzipanimals,

has to be something for what the governing powers could be but not come up with anything, also

Quotes: "You could have a mounted regiment riding animal crackers" Indeed- would have to be a regiment of egg soldiers (defenders/ hero rescuers of Humpty Dumpty perhaps)

"Those Kobolds are going in as oompa-loompas!" Kola bowla kolabolds

 

 

 

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
kolabolds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×