Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FranquesEnbiens

Initiative One Episode 6: The Kari Wraithstalker Faction Review

Recommended Posts

We changed our minds at the last minute and decided to do a faction review episode instead. Definitely still send us your Store Champs info, but we are going to record that next time. For Episode 6, we review the Kari Wraithstalker faction (and we probably talk about some other Daqan units as well). It's a look at units, upgrades, common builds, and a few new ideas we had while discussing. We also speculate on the Outland Scouts and what they might do once we get them.

Let us know what you think - what do you play as Daqan, have you tried anything we mentioned, and what do you like about the faction? We hear some of you think Rune Golems need a fix - what's up with that?

Enjoy the episode!

http://initiativeone.libsyn.com/website/episode-6-the-kari-wraithstalker-faction-review

Facebook: @InitiativeOne

Email: InitiativeOnePodcast@gmail.com

Edited by FranquesEnbiens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the episode. I'm just getting into Runewars (have bought a couple of core sets and 8 expansion boxes so far) but actually made my first Daqan list a week or so ago which included a 2x3 Oathsworn with Wind Rune and Raven Tabards :) 

I also added Moment of Inspiration but, having listened to you, I'll take it out so I've got space for Fortunas Dice on Kari

 

http://tabletopadmiral.com/runewars/human/p023uEMu28u2fu24p053uEMu07uEMuEMp0f1u0ep0e1uEMu31p061uEMu06

 

 

 

Edited by Suhawk75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great rundown! 

Something I've been trying to make work on Spearmen is the Eagle Banner Bearer. I play against a lot of Carrion Lancers, and those can tie up Spearmen all day, so the ability to bank 2-3 Inspiration and instantly blow one up is VERY appealing. Even against Death Knights, I'm happy to trade two tokens for a Knight. Of course it's a figure upgrade with 1 Defense so that's a glaring hole in the strategy, and you can't take it until the 6-tray unit so you'd better have another plan for the unit. Feels like a card that doesn't quite work yet, but worth keeping an eye on.

Another very interesting thing to do with Scouts is Unstable Geomancer. They deploy last, so you can pick the juiciest target, then advance and (runes permitting) start unleashing earthquakes as early as turn one! It's a suicide bomb, but has the tools to apply pretty surgically.

I really like Forged in Battle on 3x2 Oathsworn. There's very little competition for that Champion slot, and the timing tends to kick in as they take casualties to keep them relevant. My experience is once they get stuck in they die pretty quick, so keeping their offensive power up really extends their usefulness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great episode, pretty spot on with most of your assessments. Surprised no one had seen the Wind Rune Cav before down there, definitely adds some flexibility if you have the points.

I was kind of shocked no mention of Lance Corporal?  Maybe it’s just not in the NC Meta but we have a similar Daqan discussion ironically going on concurrently over in Tactics https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/269151-daquan-troop-comfigurationscombos/

but the versatility Lance corporal offers Spearmen is huge, and he’s even slightly less fragile than CWM.  I would certainly argue my 6 points is better spent there for its utility on spearmen (provided you have a way to ready it) than wind Rune on my Cav.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 8:55 AM, Suhawk75 said:

Thanks for the episode. I'm just getting into Runewars (have bought a couple of core sets and 8 expansion boxes so far) but actually made my first Daqan list a week or so ago which included a 2x3 Oathsworn with Wind Rune and Raven Tabards :) 

I also added Moment of Inspiration but, having listened to you, I'll take it out so I've got space for Fortunas Dice on Kari

 

http://tabletopadmiral.com/runewars/human/p023uEMu28u2fu24p053uEMu07uEMuEMp0f1u0ep0e1uEMu31p061uEMu06

 

 

 

Glad to see another newer player getting in, and thanks for the listen! How are you liking the Daqan so far? 

Cool that you figured out the Wind Rune - I am going to try it out over the next couple weeks when I can get some games in. 

Moment is great, no doubt, but see how you like the Fortuna's - like we said, it makes Kari just fantastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 2:28 PM, Bhelliom said:

Great rundown! 

Something I've been trying to make work on Spearmen is the Eagle Banner Bearer. I play against a lot of Carrion Lancers, and those can tie up Spearmen all day, so the ability to bank 2-3 Inspiration and instantly blow one up is VERY appealing. Even against Death Knights, I'm happy to trade two tokens for a Knight. Of course it's a figure upgrade with 1 Defense so that's a glaring hole in the strategy, and you can't take it until the 6-tray unit so you'd better have another plan for the unit. Feels like a card that doesn't quite work yet, but worth keeping an eye on.

Another very interesting thing to do with Scouts is Unstable Geomancer. They deploy last, so you can pick the juiciest target, then advance and (runes permitting) start unleashing earthquakes as early as turn one! It's a suicide bomb, but has the tools to apply pretty surgically.

I really like Forged in Battle on 3x2 Oathsworn. There's very little competition for that Champion slot, and the timing tends to kick in as they take casualties to keep them relevant. My experience is once they get stuck in they die pretty quick, so keeping their offensive power up really extends their usefulness.

I like both those ideas - Eagle Banner seems like it has the potential to be really strong if you can leverage it well. I have never found cause for any of the Daqan wizards yet, but there is definitely some unexplored territory there that the scouts might make for some interesting strategy with. 

Forged in Battle looks like it's going to be super good on cav, I can't wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, jcshep19 said:

Great episode, pretty spot on with most of your assessments. Surprised no one had seen the Wind Rune Cav before down there, definitely adds some flexibility if you have the points.

I was kind of shocked no mention of Lance Corporal?  Maybe it’s just not in the NC Meta but we have a similar Daqan discussion ironically going on concurrently over in Tactics https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/269151-daquan-troop-comfigurationscombos/

but the versatility Lance corporal offers Spearmen is huge, and he’s even slightly less fragile than CWM.  I would certainly argue my 6 points is better spent there for its utility on spearmen (provided you have a way to ready it) than wind Rune on my Cav.  

 

 

Thanks - and yeah, we haven't seen really any Wind Rune locally except on Reanimate and Deepwood Archers. 

Lance Corporal is cool for sure, not sure why we didn't think of that during the episode. I haven't put it on the table, but I have several lists with the Lance Corporal that I drew up as ideas. I have just gotten away from Spearmen in general. I think the only thing that kept me from using it was that I was thinking of it in a Spearstar, and I wanted to limit the number of cards that I had to exhaust, but I guess you can use it sparingly enough that it isn't a problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FranquesEnbiens said:

I like both those ideas - Eagle Banner seems like it has the potential to be really strong if you can leverage it well. I have never found cause for any of the Daqan wizards yet, but there is definitely some unexplored territory there that the scouts might make for some interesting strategy with.

I had a game with @Govrek where he was using Greyhaven Channeler to fuel Fire Rune on his 3x2 Heavy Crossbowmen. I was running Bloodfire Witch and 2 Fire Runes myself, so it turned out to be a very firey game with more rune re-casting than I'd ever seen. So that's one use for the Daqan wizards. And it really did help turn the red runes in those games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, FranquesEnbiens said:

Glad to see another newer player getting in, and thanks for the listen! How are you liking the Daqan so far? 

Cool that you figured out the Wind Rune - I am going to try it out over the next couple weeks when I can get some games in. 

Moment is great, no doubt, but see how you like the Fortuna's - like we said, it makes Kari just fantastic. 

I’ve only played one game. Spent loads of time reading, watching and thinking about Runewars but only a couple actually playing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...