Larry Ho-Teep

Muskets and Lock guns for a Fantasy Musketeers setting

I have the intention of running a game in a fantasy musketeers setting with swashbuckler fighting, Royal Court intrigue, foreign nation espionage, and some magic (and pirates). So, I need some Muskets and Lock Pistols, which are not in the Genesys core book. I have found those weapons instead.

Name

Skill

Dam

Crit

Range

Encum

Price

Rarity

Special

Bow

Range

medium

Unwieldy 2

Crossbow

Range

medium

Pierce 2, prepare 1

Light pistol

Range (light)

short

Revolver

Range

medium

Accurate 1

Hunting rifle

Range (Heavy)

long

Accurate 1, limited ammo 2

Name

Skill

Dam

Crit

Range

Encum

Price

Rarity

Special

Musket

Range

medium

Accurate 1,  Prepare 1

Lock Pistols

Range

short

Accurate1, Prepare 1

Does it seem right? How would you improve it? Thanks for your comments.

13 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

I would use the Limited Ammo quality for the musket and pistol as well. That way it takes two manoeuvres to be ready to fire (if the weapon isn’t loaded)  then another manoeuvre between each shot.

It should take 2 maneuver, I agree. Is there such a thing as Prepare 2? 

Yes there is, but the thing is Prepare isn’t really designed for reloading a weapon slowly, it’s more for preparing the overall weapon for use. As an example look at the bipod and tripod attachments in the weapon attachment section, both of those add the Prepare quality to a weapon because they both need to be set up.

For a weapon that needs to be reloaded after every shot the Limited Ammo quality does the best job. Now what you can say is that reloading these weapons takes two manoeuvres instead of the usual one.

My suggestion is that with an unloaded weapon you need two manoeuvres to be ready to fire the first shot. Then if you don’t move too much your already prepared so only have to reload between shooting thanks to the Limited Ammo. If you do move then you have to pick up all the extra bits needed to reload the weapon and move them with you, thus requiring another Prepare manoeuvre.

Basicly is giving an incentive to not moving around with a musket/pistol.

The damage does look somewhat low for a .5 to .75 cal ball.

Range seems fine to me. 

I'd increase Encumbrance by 1 relative to the modern equivalent. 

I wouldn't deem a smooth-bore  "Accurate", rather the opposite.

10 minutes ago, Larry Ho-Teep said:

In fact, there is. But, is it wise making attacking each round strenuous? I do like Prepare 1; I would change it to Limmited Ammo 1, only if the acquistion of ammunition were arduous.

4 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Yes there is, but the thing is Prepare isn’t really designed for reloading a weapon slowly, it’s more for preparing the overall weapon for use. As an example look at the bipod and tripod attachments in the weapon attachment section, both of those add the Prepare quality to a weapon because they both need to be set up.

For a weapon that needs to be reloaded after every shot the Limited Ammo quality does the best job. Now what you can say is that reloading these weapons takes two manoeuvres instead of the usual one.

My suggestion is that with an unloaded weapon you need two manoeuvres to be ready to fire the first shot. Then if you don’t move too much your already prepared so only have to reload between shooting thanks to the Limited Ammo. If you do move then you have to pick up all the extra bits needed to reload the weapon and move them with you, thus requiring another Prepare manoeuvre.

Basicly is giving an incentive to not moving around with a musket/pistol.

Movement does not necessarily disrupt Preparation; "At your GM’s discretion, moving with the item, being knocked prone with the item, or other disruptions may require the user to perform the preparation maneuvers again before using the item."

1 minute ago, Grimmerling said:

Movement does not necessarily disrupt Preparation; "At your GM’s discretion, moving with the item, being knocked prone with the item, or other disruptions may require the user to perform the preparation maneuvers again before using the item."

Very true, your gm is in charge. The point being that wether you fire the weapon or not you may need to make another Prepare manoeuvre.

35 minutes ago, Larry Ho-Teep said:

There was a whole thread on musket type weapons not long ago

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/268073-muskeet-and-similar-gunpowder-weapons/

with a bit of an argument (in which I was wrong) over what prepare was meant to represent and it was pretty much shown that prepare covers weapons that need to be set up, but then can be fired every round, while limited ammo and other traits are needed to cover things that need reloaded after each firing. 

1 minute ago, Richardbuxton said:

Very true, your gm is in charge. The point being that wether you fire the weapon or not you may need to make another Prepare manoeuvre.

Quite, and reasonable at that, especially when those GM defined conditions are exactly the ones usually rendering a pre-loaded muzzle-loader inoperable, e.g. wet powder, dislodged ball &c. 

My sole objection to Limited Ammo instead of Prepare is the small technicality, that former quality does imply keeping track of ammunition. One of my maxims as GM is: Track not, what is not worth tracking. 

When I think of it; I might've just violated another maxim of mine: Argue not, what makes no difference.

5 minutes ago, Grimmerling said:

My sole objection to Limited Ammo instead of Prepare is the small technicality, that former quality does imply keeping track of ammunition.

That was my problem with limited ammo too. 

Really seems like there needs to be an additional trait called “Reload X” that combines the two. Requires X maneuvers to load the weapon after firing, but the ammunition is small and inexpensive enough to not need tracking. 

Or the Ammo comes in an unmeasured quantity contained within a bag. You are considered to always have a supply of shot and powder when you have that bag... until you roll a Despair and find only one more ball in there!

Just because you are counting the Ammo inside the weapon doesn’t mean you have to count all the Ammo you carry.

Eg: Over and under shotgun: Limited Ammo 2, But I have a box of cartridges.

9 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Or the Ammo comes in an unmeasured quantity contained within a bag. You are considered to always have a supply of shot and powder when you have that bag... until you roll a Despair and find only one more ball in there!

Just because you are counting the Ammo inside the weapon doesn’t mean you have to count all the Ammo you carry.

Eg: Over and under shotgun: Limited Ammo 2, But I have a box of cartridges.

Why then, I wonder, does the crossbow have Prepare, not Limited Ammo? 

I have been wondering that myself. What I think FFG wanted was for a Crossbow to require a bit more time to use, but that reloading is not as slow as a full manoeuvre. If you’re stationary then using a crossbow can be similar speed to a bow, but if you’re on the run then you need to put more of your effort into using a crossbow vs a bow.

1 hour ago, Grimmerling said:

I wouldn't deem a smooth-bore "Accurate", rather the opposite.

True, but there must be a reason people stopped using bow and crossbow. And a musket must be awful compared with modern technology. Still thinking about the sweet right balance. 

In musketeer literature, if you're really going for the swash and buckle.. I think the lock pistol was generally used for the opening shot, and quickly discarded when the melee ensued.

On a related note.. It appears that Genesys has dispensed with the additional increase in difficulty, for two-weapon fighting with different styles of weapons (sword and pistol, for instance); for those using this as Star Wars 2.0, this might open the possibility of using such a technique. While the concept has some appeal, the mechanical penalties were too prohibitively harsh, to realize in anything other than a narrative manner.

47 minutes ago, lyinggod said:

They haven't. Page 108, Right column, 3rd full paragraph.

The check is upgraded once, to indicate the increased difficulty of attacking with two weapons. In FFG's Star Wars system, which also utilizes the narrative dice, using distinctly different types of weapons (ranged and melee, for instance) imposes an additional difficulty die. In Genesys, it seems they recognized that adding two difficulty dice essentially just meant characters would never use such a combination.

6 hours ago, Edgehawk said:

The check is upgraded once, to indicate the increased difficulty of attacking with two weapons. In FFG's Star Wars system, which also utilizes the narrative dice, using distinctly different types of weapons (ranged and melee, for instance) imposes an additional difficulty die. In Genesys, it seems they recognized that adding two difficulty dice essentially just meant characters would never use such a combination.

That’s a really important change I had completely missed, that really makes so many cool character concepts much more easier to create.

I'll try to create something here later.

But just a tip, Limmited Ammo doesn't fit well to this kind of weapon. Prepare is much better. And I'd go with 1, like Crossbow. Crossbow in fact are slower to reload, but here we must go with something less precise. Prepare 1 is good enough.

Depends on how you interpret Limited Ammo and Prepare ?. 

So long as you need to perform a manoeuvre to put Ammo back in your gun after shooting it then you are fine. If you want more than one manoeuvre then that’s fine too. But, whatever you do, don’t assume everyone else uses Prepare or Limited Ammo in the same way as you.

The main point of limited ammo is that "…more ammo must be purchased or obtained before anyone fires the weapon again." Whereas with prepare, you just have to spend the manoeuvre to reload. In addition, the quick draw talent reduces the prepare rating of all weapons by 1 but does not affect the manoeuvre needed for reloading with the limited ammo property.

With all that in mind, I agree with @Bellyon that prepare makes more sense than limited ammo. Why? Gunpowder and shot aren't expensive enough to worry about tracking. Also, people can reload those things pretty fast with practice (quick draw talent).

Again

On 2/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, Forgottenlore said:

There was a whole thread on musket type weapons not long ago

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/268073-muskeet-and-similar-gunpowder-weapons/

with a bit of an argument (in which I was wrong) over what prepare was meant to represent and it was pretty much shown that prepare covers weapons that need to be set up, but then can be fired every round, while limited ammo and other traits are needed to cover things that need reloaded after each firing.