LordAdmiralAndy

Dog fights and ground support

It has been stated that if we see it the movies don't necessarily expect it in game but don't rule it out either. (AT-ATs) been a commonly referenced point here.

Ok so FFG having set that previso.

Will we see rules for aerial units like X-wings and Tie Fighters fighting it out while ground battle is running and swooping in to attack ground units as happened in the Battle of Scarif?

Edited by LordAdmiralAndy
Missed a word.

6 minutes ago, LordAdmiralAndy said:

Will we see rules for aerial units like X-wings and Tie Fighters fighting it out while ground battle is running and swooping in to attack ground units as happened in the Battle of Scarif?

Beyond the Command Cards like Leia and Veers? I doubt it. FFG would rather people play X-Wing if they want to dogfight.

X-wings are also roughly 3x the length of the T-47 Airspeeder so that's a pretty long model to balance on the table.

Edit: I am referring to the command cards that basically allow for bombardment from off board units. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

2 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Beyond the Command Cards like Leia and Veers? I doubt it. FFG would rather people play X-Wing if they want to dogfight.

X-wings are also roughly 3x the length of the T-47 Airspeeder so that's a pretty long model to balance on the table.

Edit: I am referring to the command cards that basically allow for bombardment from off board units. 

I can accept there maybe a level of abstraction to it and may be off table mechanic with a chance for interception if you've the right command cards, a mechanic like that could work and you could use some revell models for when the cards are being played and maybe reusable more than once though.

1 minute ago, LordAdmiralAndy said:

I can accept there maybe a level of abstraction to it and may be off table mechanic with a chance for interception if you've the right command cards, a mechanic like that could work and you could use some revell models for when the cards are being played and maybe reusable more than once though.

Most of the game seems to be streamlined, such as just measuring the movement for the Squad Leader, and then moving the rest of the squad into a radius of range 1 from the leader, rather than measuring individual model movement. That sort of mechanic is getting complicated, whereas something like Leia's Coordinated Bombardment or Veer's Maximum Firepower are simple. A "Cancel the secondary effects of your opponent's Command card" is possible, but I doubt we'll see that before MAYBE Thrawn. Reusable is unlikely though, as then that drives up the cost of the commander just for a command card/invalidates much of the strategy of picking which Command card to play.

Could always just run a sideboard of X-wing and place limitations of squads: no S&V or only Original Trilogy era ships. 

Edit: Just thought that you could even throw in scenario based objectives that if a ship flies over a part of the map, it triggers a spray template of damage on the Legion board.

Edited by VictoryLeo

Just now, VictoryLeo said:

Could always just run a sideboard of X-wing and place limitations of squads: no S&V or only Original Trilogy era ships. 

I expect we might see some house rules of a campaign incorporating Armada, X-wing, and Legion together in some way. 

I would love to set up a campaign like that. Make planetary objectives with resources and then pull a random card or something that determines if it's Armada, X-Wing or Legion. Or have if you win an Armada battle you get a boon to your X-wing or Legion maps.

Tie-Strikers, Tie Bombers, X-wings, U-wings, and Y-wings, could all be done as units that come on for one turn and make an attack, then leave the board. I would love to see minis for those, but I doubt the will make them because they would be expensive.

When they are activated they move onto the board from one side and make an attack, then the next turn they would fly off the board. Once they leave the board they would become exhausted. This would make it so they aren't used every turn, and there is the opportunity to destroy/damage them before they fly off again.

X-wings and Tie-strikers would attack with their blasters, Tie-Bombers and Y-wings would attack with bombs, and U-wings would attack with door gunners.

They could just be air units that ignore obstacles and move around at speed 4 or 5. They managed to incorporate fighters/bombers/gunships in 40k just fine, no reason why it wouldn't work in Legion aside from some misguided idea that, although none of the movement speeds of either infantry or vehicles in Legion is in any way even remotely realistic, somehow an X-wing/Tie-fighter should be the exception and move realistic and be out of the game after 1 turn.

Outside of Leia and Veers’ orbital strikes, they could borrow from Bolt Action and release some sort of forward observer that can call in air strikes. This would allow for a starfighter presence without requiring obscenely large models. 

Realistically I think FFG will forego this and say “if you want starfighters play xwing”

Caimheul1313 the main difference is it would actually be a unit that would use up some of your point costs and heavy slot, and you would be able to use it in multiple turns(and I would just like to have the models). Otherwise it is fairly similar.

Edited by jcmonson

@Lord Tareq you obviously don't remember the horror that was helldrake spam. Also, most aircraft in 40k are more akin to modern attack helicopters than proper bombers, streaking across that sort of distance in a second and dropping bombs.

@jcmonson if you mainly want the models, Bandai makes some very nicely details sub $30 models that are not sturdy enough for tabletop play, but nice for display. 

Fora ground based game like Legion the effects of a bombing run will probably either be command cards which are part of the cost of the commander, or an observer style unit. I'd argue that the cost of only being able to issue an order to the commander for the turn is a pretty hefty price. The T47- Airspeeder and maybe the TIE Striker all I expect to see as far as air support models.

38 minutes ago, Nihm said:

Something similar to Spartan Games ground command. Pelicans are used for reinforcements or staffing runs. Uwings would be good for that.

Which again could be handled as a card affect similar to the latest Rebel Admiral for Armada (he lets you bring in one of your ships later in the game), rather than actual miniatures. The U-wing is fully FIVE times the length of the TI-47, and is longer even than the AT-AT is TALL. Roughly to scale, we are talking about a model over 20 inches for a U-wing and 10ish inches for an X-wing or Y-wing. 

1 hour ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Which again could be handled as a card affect similar to the latest Rebel Admiral for Armada (he lets you bring in one of your ships later in the game), rather than actual miniatures. The U-wing is fully FIVE times the length of the TI-47, and is longer even than the AT-AT is TALL. Roughly to scale, we are talking about a model over 20 inches for a U-wing and 10ish inches for an X-wing or Y-wing. 

Unlike the X-wing and Y-wing it seems plausible to have Troop transports in the heavy slot. The U-wing actually makes a lot of sense in this regard, that and the Lambda Shuttle. 

1 minute ago, Derrault said:

Unlike the X-wing and Y-wing it seems plausible to have Troop transports in the heavy slot. The U-wing actually makes a lot of sense in this regard, that and the Lambda Shuttle. 

Except for the fact that the models for either of those transports to scale would take up a HUGE section of real estate on a 3'x6' table as they would be 15"-20" long. The T-47 is (I've heard) roughly 5". Transport on this field may not even be that necessary depending on the length of the measuring sticks.

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Except for the fact that the models for either of those transports to scale would take up a HUGE section of real estate on a 3'x6' table as they would be 15"-20" long. The T-47 is (I've heard) roughly 5". Transport on this field may not even be that necessary depending on the length of the measuring sticks.

It may not even be possible for a 1-2 speed unit to actually get to the far side of a 6 foot map in 6 turns. Even if speed 2 is 6 inches, that would require two activations for all 6 turns to achieve...which sounds impossible considering the probability of suppression. 

Under that kind of rubric, there would be plenty of room for a transport. A gunship, for example (the clone wars one seems like an obvious possibility if they expand to that era)