Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThorGrim2

Custom Great Old Ones

1,219 posts in this topic

MrsGamura said:

I don't think any AO's attack is half as bad as Azathoth's half of the investigators lose?

lmao that would be an awesome attack.  "Half the investigators lose (roll randomly to decide who).  The other half win.  Game over."

hahaha talk about a way to take the fun out of it!  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sothis said:

MrsGamura said:

 

I don't think any AO's attack is half as bad as Azathoth's half of the investigators lose?

 

 

lmao that would be an awesome attack.  "Half the investigators lose (roll randomly to decide who).  The other half win.  Game over."

hahaha talk about a way to take the fun out of it!  lol

How about, players controlling the investigators must fight to the death.  Once only half the players survived, they are declared the winners.  The other players are declared dead.

;') C'mon, that'd still be fun.  Well, it'd make a fun short story anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The players fight to the death?  Or the investigators?  >:D  Although it would suck in a solo game.  ;)

haha actually that would be awesome!  There should definitely be an AO with that attack.  Instead of Azathoth's "You lose," the AO makes everyone berserk and they fight each other.  Last investigator standing wins (and there's no way to beat the AO).  Very cool.  Write up an AO for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sothis said:

 

The players fight to the death?  Or the investigators?  >:D  Although it would suck in a solo game.  ;)

haha actually that would be awesome!  There should definitely be an AO with that attack.  Instead of Azathoth's "You lose," the AO makes everyone berserk and they fight each other.  Last investigator standing wins (and there's no way to beat the AO).  Very cool.  Write up an AO for it!

 

 

Yeah ::darting eyes:: the iiiinvestigaaaators.  That's what I meant.  Yeah.  Yeah!  ::The pattering of feet and the screeching of tires is heard::

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Thanks dkw for the image posting walkthrough :') I couldn't've done it without it.  Whee...  My first custom post.  Comment comment comment! :'D

Oh, it's intended for the Double Doom increase/devouring to also take place during the final battle.  Is there a mythos phase in the final battle?

Yeah, I noticed the missing word in the last paragraph, I'll correct that after other comments are in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I would bold, etc to make the type look in more in line with other AO's lengua.gif

Worshippers:

Everyone should have their fight up cause gonna fail the horror check anyways...

Slumber:

So someone is usually gonna be cursed but not likely to be devoured then super not likely to have the max Sanity reduced...

Start of Battle:

Semi Yig with added evil if you are cursed...

-6 PS/ MS + with the curse shield he's gonna be hard to hit... may say close to, "not gonna happen"

Attack already starts of at +0 not the +1 like most...

during each upkeep second die? Cursed...seems like people are going to have to remember allot of un-skill die rolling going on!

Not really sure if this guy is uber hard or not depends I guess on how you die roll go, etc plus 3 Sanity Guys should sit this one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skeletor!  Awesome!  I guess if we have a He-Man guardian we need a Skeletor AO.  lol!

Yeah his stats may be a bit high, but then again I know you like things REALLY difficult.  Personally I think -1 extra horror for worshippers would be plenty (as Gam said, most horror rolls will fail if they're an extra -2).

All the curses are fine though, as well as the combat dice.  Most investigators would have to shop for superb weapons to have more than a couple dice against him, but so what.

His attack may be a bit rough, but it depends who the investigators are.  Those with 3 or 4 max Sanity could die after only attacking twice, while those with 5 or 6 could die after only attacking three times.  Not likely that someone would fail every Lore check, but statistically you're talking about having one or two less investigators after the first three or so rounds.  The remaining 7 Sanity investigators may not have a chance at that point so it doesn't matter that they last longer.

Actually that's similar to Cthulhu's attack from my Stars herald, only you don't even get to roll for that one.  But I specifically wanted that to be near-impossible if that tells you anything.  So if you want him to be Atlach difficult, you probably nailed it just right!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MrsGamura said:

 I would bold, etc to make the type look in more in line with other AO's lengua.gif

Worshippers:

Everyone should have their fight up cause gonna fail the horror check anyways...

Slumber:

So someone is usually gonna be cursed but not likely to be devoured then super not likely to have the max Sanity reduced...

Start of Battle:

Semi Yig with added evil if you are cursed...

-6 PS/ MS + with the curse shield he's gonna be hard to hit... may say close to, "not gonna happen"

Attack already starts of at +0 not the +1 like most...

during each upkeep second die? Cursed...seems like people are going to have to remember allot of un-skill die rolling going on!

Not really sure if this guy is uber hard or not depends I guess on how you die roll go, etc plus 3 Sanity Guys should sit this one out.

 

Which type needs to be bolded?

Heh...  This AO is designed to give a different experience in regards to horror.  Thematically the idea behind it is that he causes all monsters to incarnate the fear of death.  Functionally, this should make the game a more traditionally Lovecraftian experience— where a greater premium is placed on evasion and rising terror.  Combat is possible, but it will be at the cost of one's mind :')

I didn't want him to be a pushover in combat (fighting him should be very tough, theoretically possible given a small team with good equipment, but still difficult).  He has a 13 doom track so that sealing or closing victories against him should be feasible.  ;') of course, if an investigator is devoured by curse, you will have two doom tokens added to his track (this also functions as a regeneration tool during the final battle where his curses *really* start flying).  The reduced max sanity when investigators are devoured speeds up a kill for him in the final battle, but it can also have an effect earlier on (if an investigator is devoured during the game, half or all of the team might suffer trauma from their deaths).

I haven't tested him yet, but if I am correct, he should be difficult in combat (and he grows more ferocious the more investigators he kills— because then his curses grow focused on fewer targets— his cursing ability is actually considerably more devestating than Yig's—over the long run— in my opinion, because it is continual, and his resistances are much higher— giving him more time to kill off investigators).

As for final battle memory.  It's not *that* hard.  You need to review combat abilities before the final battle anyways.  Basically it's this, you roll the first player curse die that you've been rolling the entire game, and then you add in a second more powerful first player curse die roll (so basically even if you're blessed, your odds of losing your blessing are more than 50/50).

Heh...  Speaking of curses...  Does anyone like the feature how players are gradually cursed over the space of game (which will cut into their resources as they'll need to cure themselves with blessings or risk devouring once every few turns.  This should also raise the real anxiety level among players.

Hmm...  Perhaps I should bump his combat modifier down to -5?  After all, it's not like blessings are going to stick around long when people are fighting him ;'D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sothis said:

Skeletor!  Awesome!  I guess if we have a He-Man guardian we need a Skeletor AO.  lol!

Yeah his stats may be a bit high, but then again I know you like things REALLY difficult.  Personally I think -1 extra horror for worshippers would be plenty (as Gam said, most horror rolls will fail if they're an extra -2).

All the curses are fine though, as well as the combat dice.  Most investigators would have to shop for superb weapons to have more than a couple dice against him, but so what.

His attack may be a bit rough, but it depends who the investigators are.  Those with 3 or 4 max Sanity could die after only attacking twice, while those with 5 or 6 could die after only attacking three times.  Not likely that someone would fail every Lore check, but statistically you're talking about having one or two less investigators after the first three or so rounds.  The remaining 7 Sanity investigators may not have a chance at that point so it doesn't matter that they last longer.

Actually that's similar to Cthulhu's attack from my Stars herald, only you don't even get to roll for that one.  But I specifically wanted that to be near-impossible if that tells you anything.  So if you want him to be Atlach difficult, you probably nailed it just right!  ;)

:'D most horror rolls are *intended* to fail.  This AO makes sanity a major issue in determining who and how you fight.  If you really need to kill something with high horror check, you're going to have to use clue tokens (I would suggest keeping a small surplus in case of emergency).  There's another way of handling this problem, buuut, I don't want to put it out explicitly.

So ;') You like the Lord of Destruction...  How did he become an AO?  A God?  Well ;'D let's just say Grayskull and Eternia is no more.  See?  Persistence pays off.

I don't consider him Atlach difficult (although he may be tougher to defeat in direct combat), he's not gate bursting after all, just making combat very costly, and slowing things down through curses (and presumably trophies that will have to be traded to cure curses instead of for clue tokens or allies).  Stiiill.  I think he's beatable with seals.  As long as none of your investigators are devoured ;'D

I think playing him will give players a sense of abiding fear :') provided they get into these sorts of games.  And the increased sneaking that will be necessary will add to the Lovecraftian atmosphere.  (Do you think I should have him give all investigators +1 to sneak, perhaps under the title Practiced Cringing)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLordofDestructionrevised.jpg

Well, hopefully this will be a little more palatable for those of you who don't enjoy being mercilessly crushed ;') now you can be mercifully crushed.  EHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

carddeck1.jpg

edit: just noticed there's already urban discarding on an ancient one. I think it'd be cool if it'll be "all environment cards are discarded".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sort of confused about his Attack...if he Attack First the first player is devoured? don't the investigator usually attack first (I do the the Epic Battle Card down there).

Attacks alone as in only one investigator Attacks?

Worshippers...

I think I got this right if a Migo moves while in the Woods he would fly to the Investigator at Independent Square or the One at the Witch House? I'm going to think the investigator with the lowest sneak as per normal Flying monster movement.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MrsGamura said:

 

I'm sort of confused about his Attack...if he Attack First the first player is devoured? don't the investigator usually attack first (I do the the Epic Battle Card down there).

Attacks alone as in only one investigator Attacks?

Worshippers...

I think I got this right if a Migo moves while in the Woods he would fly to the Investigator at Independent Square or the One at the Witch House? I'm going to think the investigator with the lowest sneak as per normal Flying monster movement.

 

 

 

 

 

Some of the epic battle cards the ancient one attack first and some only ancient one attacks (meaning alone). That means there'll be no situation where a plot card is drawn and the investigators immediately lose (unless it's a one-player game in which case, sucks for the player). To conclude: If the investigators attack first, they have one round of attack to kill him or all lose. If only invesitgators attack, then they gained an extra attack round. In only ancient one attacks or he attacks first then the first player is devoured instead of them all. If Epic Battle variant isn't played, the invesitgators have one of attack to kill him or all lose.

And you're correct about the worshipper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kroen said:

edit: ignore the world "subtruct"

basatanfrontside.jpg

You do realize that there's *no* way of getting a sealing victory against this because he adds on a doom token every 3 turns on average?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

kroen said:

 

edit: ignore the world "subtruct"

basatanfrontside.jpg

 

 

You do realize that there's *no* way of getting a sealing victory against this because he adds on a doom token every 3 turns on average?

I would refer you then to Altcha Natcha, but I guess you do have a point. What about this:

1: Add a doom token

2-5: Nothing

6: Raise terror level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kroen said:

 

Avi_dreader said:

 

kroen said:

 

edit: ignore the world "subtruct"

basatanfrontside.jpg

 

 

You do realize that there's *no* way of getting a sealing victory against this because he adds on a doom token every 3 turns on average?

 

 

I would refer you then to Altcha Natcha, but I guess you do have a point. What about this:

1: Add a doom token

2-5: Nothing

6: Raise terror level

 

 

 

::Shrug:: maybe, it's still an almost guaranteed fight, although it's not likely to come as fast.  Add a 14th doom token and maaaaaybe a sealing victory will look plausible (although I still doubt it can be done with a small team).

Btw, people can get sealing victories against Atlach, partially by clogging up her doom track by leaving her high frequency gates open and sealing lower frequency gates.  No more doom is added when gates burst either.  Right now I'm assuming his doom track is 3-4 less than it actually is (whereas before I was looking at it as 6-8 less— realistically it probably would've been around 5 or six because the AO would wake by then).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

I think playing him will give players a sense of abiding fear :') provided they get into these sorts of games.  And the increased sneaking that will be necessary will add to the Lovecraftian atmosphere.  (Do you think I should have him give all investigators +1 to sneak, perhaps under the title Practiced Cringing)?

I think if you want him to be scary he shouldn't look like Skeletor. ;)

But yes, his abilities should work out pretty well.  I'll still feel like I'm fighting a cartoon, but the mechanics will definitely make horror and sanity a problem.  Looks fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sothis said:

 

Avi_dreader said:

 

I think playing him will give players a sense of abiding fear :') provided they get into these sorts of games.  And the increased sneaking that will be necessary will add to the Lovecraftian atmosphere.  (Do you think I should have him give all investigators +1 to sneak, perhaps under the title Practiced Cringing)?

 

 

I think if you want him to be scary he shouldn't look like Skeletor. ;)

But yes, his abilities should work out pretty well.  I'll still feel like I'm fighting a cartoon, but the mechanics will definitely make horror and sanity a problem.  Looks fun!

 

 

Shhh, only He-Man fans know who the AO *really* is :') but like I said in the background story :'D this is Skeletor post-apotheosis.   He conquered Grayskull and became a God.  As for what happened to He-Man and the Sorceress ;'D I'll leave that to your imagination.  Besides, the Live Action Skeletor (Frank Langella) was pretty bad ass :'D imagine him more along those lines— rather than the nasal whiney Skeletor ;')

 

Anyways, if you can't stand to play it as it is, feel free to reload it with this picture :'D (and change the text from Death's Staff to Death's Scythe)

Hopper-GalleryPlayer.jpg?t=1238366466

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kroen said:

carddeck1.jpg

I'm not sure I buy Cthugha as an injury/madness AO as much as I buy him as a destroy everything AO. I didn't mind the attack until I thought about how painful that can be in large groups. Many large grooups will be reduced to 4 investigators or fewer within the first turn of battle! Also the worshippers and Fires of Cthugha don't seem relavent to the overall build of Cthugha. The worshippers just randomly damage people and the Fires just speed him towords the final battle randomly.

I suggest to help focus this guy have the worshippers ability be something like: All cultists have "If you defeat a cultist in battle roll a die. On a failiure draw an injury or madness." And Fires of Cthugha could be something like this: While Cthugha stirs in his slumber, investigators gain 1 injury and 1 madness card whenever they are lost in time and space.

Just remember to focus your ideas to get across the core idea of your AO and not try to cover every single nuance with the limited number of abilities.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 On circle thing Awesome picture! (where you get it?) on the giant crab...if jets (jets around in the 1920's? lol) can't kill it how is Wendy going to? lengua.gif

Dark Jco does have a point focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use deviantart for 99% of my custom stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0