Sign in to follow this  
Jobu

Novella Speculation

So I am thinking this Friday they will announce a new novella.  (the other two were announced the 2nd Friday of the month and were 2 months apart, its been two months).

Care to speculate/hope for the class/investigator?  We have Guardian (and we know this one), Mystic and Survivor remaining.  Its hard because Norman showed us it is possibly any of the investigators.  I also don't think they choose the investigators by who can use help but more of "who do the writers want to write about?" with some limits.

I would like a story about Jim or Marie.  Although I think that Agnes could be interesting as well.

it's likely to be "the dirge of the reason" with roland Banks since he was spoiled, but on the other hand it may be a reason he could come last on the list of 5 titles revealed by a Russian site that was right for "Ire of the Void". the other titles are "The deep Gate", and "To fight the Black Wind". We know that for everyone will be for a category of character; we had Seeker, Rogue and Guardian confirmed with Roland. So there is Survivor and Mystic. On the other hand each novella brings up to now a gator of a different cycle: Dunwich leg, unknown cycle for Norman (and not of the following cycle) Core set for Roland; There remains the Carcosa cycle and the Forgotten age cycle. Let's look at the news headlines now: The black wind is an avatar of Nyarlothotep, which appears in Africa, often in Kenya. Now, in mystic, in the Carcosa cycle, who do we have in relation with Africa ?? Akachi Onyele, and I would push the hypothesis until saying weakness will be the Black Wind avatar in ennemy or treachery; With maybe a spirit in ally. Only remains who will be in the center of The Deep Gate, and I think this will be the Survivor of the Forgotten Age cycle. if it's Calvin Wright, as many say,it is possible that this is the story of his encounter with the devil in a chthonic, infernal world, a kind of repetition of the story of Orpheus.

Here’s a thought I had, which I doubt would happen, but could be interesting. What if they released a novella version of an investigator that was in a completely different class than it’s normal release class? One of those investigators whose theme could be appropriate for multiple classes could have a, let’s say Guardian release in the game, but Survivor version in their novella?

20 minutes ago, DeepOneRisen said:

Here’s a thought I had, which I doubt would happen, but could be interesting. What if they released a novella version of an investigator that was in a completely different class than it’s normal release class? One of those investigators whose theme could be appropriate for multiple classes could have a, let’s say Guardian release in the game, but Survivor version in their novella?

The novella investigator cards are identical to their deluxe box releases except for their art. Only the two replacement cards are different.

14 hours ago, Jobu said:

Care to speculate/hope for the class/investigator?  We have Guardian (and we know this one), Mystic and Survivor remaining. 

Is an even class mix confirmed? I don't think they've even hinted at the future novellas (outside the title leak).

5 minutes ago, DeepOneRisen said:

What are you thinking?  Like Roland can take L0-5 seeker but only L0-2 Guardian?  Or is it just a color change?

Outside of Lola, the only thing class seems to do is inform but not enforce deck building requirements.  That could change in the future.  I could see some neutrals that get bonuses when played by certain classes or even some class cards that has a benefit if another investigator of another class is in your space. 

Just now, BD Flory said:

Is an even class mix confirmed? I don't think they've even hinted at the future novellas (outside the title leak).

Its not confirmed but with 5 Novellas announced and 5 classes in the game, it seems most likely.  Just like they haven't stated that expansions will include at least one member of each class, but its a good guess when they announce 5 new investigators in a deluxe that there will be one of each class.

9 minutes ago, BD Flory said:

The novella investigator cards are identical to their deluxe box releases except for their art. Only the two replacement cards are different.

So far the novella investigators are identical to their deluxe box releases! If this was to happen, which I did say I doubt it would, I would expect it in a later set of novellas, assuming they sell well enough for FFG to continue them.

9 minutes ago, Jobu said:

What are you thinking?  Like Roland can take L0-5 seeker but only L0-2 Guardian?  Or is it just a color change?

Outside of Lola, the only thing class seems to do is inform but not enforce deck building requirements.  That could change in the future.  I could see some neutrals that get bonuses when played by certain classes or even some class cards that has a benefit if another investigator of another class is in your space. 

I would think that with a change of class comes a change in deck building requirements as well. It wouldn’t have to be a straight swap like your Roland example, but it could be more unique deck building requirements like the novella Norman has.

Again, I doubt it would happen, but it could be pretty awesome and those who say, “I’m not buying the book just for alternate art and a couple new cards,” might change their tune if it was a new version of an investigator. Surely FFG isn’t beneath such a shameless marketing money grab? ;) 

30 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Its not confirmed but with 5 Novellas announced and 5 classes in the game, it seems most likely.  Just like they haven't stated that expansions will include at least one member of each class, but its a good guess when they announce 5 new investigators in a deluxe that there will be one of each class.

It's worth bearing in mind that we already got a mystic in a book previous to this set of five. We know of 6 books.

I also think that, as the investigator pool grows, it will be less and less important to have an even mix of classes. Both because we'll have gators like Norman who access classes in significantly different ways from what's been the norm so far, and because a 3/1/2/2/2 mix looks a lot more weird than a 6/4/5/5/5 mix.

Mainly, I'm just being skeptical, and wasn't sure if I'd missed an announcement!

14 minutes ago, DeepOneRisen said:

Again, I doubt it would happen, but it could be pretty awesome and those who say, “I’m not buying the book just for alternate art and a couple new cards,” might change their tune if it was a new version of an investigator. Surely FFG isn’t beneath such a shameless marketing money grab? ;) 

That would be making the problem worse, not better.

43 minutes ago, DeepOneRisen said:

Exclusive content in hard to get product is bad. That's why so many people howled about Marie (and we still don't know when she comes out). Also, for anyone not interested in the books themselves, the price is a barrier (and it doesn't help that they're not cheap at all - they're double the price of a paperback novel).

14 minutes ago, BD Flory said:

Mainly, I'm just being skeptical, and wasn't sure if I'd missed an announcement!

Yeah that's the joy of speculating on something like this.  Throw caution to the wind and just make best guesses or what you hope or think can happen.

I am cool being wrong on these things, heck I like being wrong as its more of a surprise that way.

15 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Yeah that's the joy of speculating on something like this.  Throw caution to the wind and just make best guesses or what you hope or think can happen.

I am cool being wrong on these things, heck I like being wrong as its more of a surprise that way.

Sure, some speculation is fun. As long as it's treated as speculation, and not fact.

Otherwise, you wind up with people asking for feedback on decks for investigators where half the cards might not even be legal, because we haven't even seen the back of the card! :P

I think it's going to be Roland. The above theory about Akachi sounds very likely when put the way it was by Phorcys12. This being said, I will not be buying a Roland novella. Not sure about Akachi.

What I WANT to see are Patrice Hathaway (her Investigators of Arkham Horror story was excellent and very intriguing), Sefina (because we know so little about her!), or Daniella Reyes. I would LOVE to see any of the newer investigators though (Agatha/Carson/Preston/Mateo) just because I have less of a feel for who they are as characters because I've spent the least amount of time with them having followed the Arkham Files series as a whole.

I would also be into Agnes, Zooey, or Wendy.

Edited by Soakman

Sefina is really the character I want to know the most just because she's a new gator in the FFG arkham world and because of his link with carcosa and hastur ^^ Agnes would be cool to ... in fact there are so many gators who could have a nice story telling !! 

I'll probably buy every novella I can get my hands on, but since I play Guardian almost exclusively, Roland's is the one I want most atm (among the known ones - I want the other Guardians even more).

Edited by Khudzlin

On 7-2-2018 at 4:47 PM, BD Flory said:

Though this is only based on one set of replacement cards so far, so by no means set in stone.

Here is hoping for surprises.

2 minutes ago, cheapmate said:

Though this is only based on one set of replacement cards so far, so by no means set in stone.

Here is hoping for surprises.

Two, actually, since some people got Roland's cards by mistake.

three in fact , two novella out and the replacement of roland's cards ^^ It's supposed to be announced today ?? honestly knowing the replacement cards for Roland don't give me wanting this annouce , But at least , If Roland come in novella now , in two month we know we will have an rellay unknown novella anounced .^^