Tvboy

Can we just get Universal Half Points Already??

TIE swarms are dead, preserving 6 points on a 2 damage card TIE Fighter isn't bringing them back to the meta. There's no good reason for allowing almost dead ~50 pt ships to preserve their full points total at the end of time. We're basically going through the Fat Han problem all over again, ships like Miranda and Kylo just have survive until time is called after everything else is dead which leads to people running away for the second half of the game. 

It's such an easy fix, you'd actually make tournament scoring simpler by removing the distinction between large and small ships. 

Yeah this time is a relic of FFG's schizophrenic game design.

"Man, these fat falcons and decimators are really good point fortresses. We should probably install a rule to change that."

[Adds half point rule]

"Man, where have all the point fortresses gone? We should probably make some small-based point fortresses. Ehh, ya know what? Throw a little regen on there too."

[Adds Miranda to game]

Edited by Sekac

Just now, Biophysical said:

Only if we get rid of regen wholesale.

My thought on regen is this - create a regen pool/card/token/whatever.  At the start of the game if you have the ability to regen add a number of shield tokens equal to your original shield value on the regen counter.  When you regenerate a shield, remove one token from the pool.  Poe gets 3, Miranda Gets 4, Norra gets 3, Corran gets 3, ect.  Done.  It's not infinite.  Miranda and Poe are still hard as **** to kill.  But at least you know there is an end to the madness.

23 minutes ago, Sephlar said:

I would agree with the OP if this was not so far down the priority list of things that could be addressed in this game.

Small based point fortress sits in about 25th place of things that need addressed. And frankly, if the other 24 things were fixed, this would not even be a problem.

But it's the easiest thing on the list for FFG to fix, all they literally have to do is delete the words "large" from the scoring section of the tournament rules. 

I don't know how I feel about it as a whole, I'm still trying to go through numbers and scenarios in my head but I feel like Imperials end up getting screwed the hardest here.  They are already the faction most vulnerable to bombs and some of the lowest health pools in the game.  They have some of the least broken combo effects out there and can't tank damage like other ships/lists can.  I think it really hurts them more than others and they *HAVE* to thrive off of MOV to make cuts.  If you take 18 points off of Quickdraw a game, over the course of 6 rounds that's 108 points.  That's significant.

32 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Too much. Making all things half points is an easy fix that still helps with Miranda and Poe and so on. It’s not perfect, but it still incentivizes them to play more aggressive. When you stand to lose 20+ points off a single unlucky shot, you play a lot different than when you have to take six or seven damage to lose those points. 

8 minutes ago, viedit said:

I don't know how I feel about it as a whole, I'm still trying to go through numbers and scenarios in my head but I feel like Imperials end up getting screwed the hardest here.  They are already the faction most vulnerable to bombs and some of the lowest health pools in the game.  They have some of the least broken combo effects out there and can't tank damage like other ships/lists can.  I think it really hurts them more than others and they *HAVE* to thrive off of MOV to make cuts.  If you take 18 points off of Quickdraw a game, over the course of 6 rounds that's 108 points.  That's significant.

Yes, BUT all other squadrons are also suffering from these issues. The overall MoV curve will go down a lot. Some squadrons would be hit worse than others, but I don’t think it would be toooo bad. 

50 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Bold sir, quite bold...logical, but really bold for this crowd. Be careful, "they" may ban you on the site with that kinda "idea floating," haha.

46 minutes ago, viedit said:

My thought on regen is this - create a regen pool/card/token/whatever.  At the start of the game if you have the ability to regen add a number of shield tokens equal to your original shield value on the regen counter.  When you regenerate a shield, remove one token from the pool.  Poe gets 3, Miranda Gets 4, Norra gets 3, Corran gets 3, ect.  Done.  It's not infinite.  Miranda and Poe are still hard as **** to kill.  But at least you know there is an end to the madness.

This is fine, as long as regen on Mirand-er is relegated to her primary weapon only. I like where your head is going though, it is actually Mouse/FFG plausible I'd wager.

I just don't know.  You manage to hit Quiz with a lucky bomb + Sabine and he's already worth half.  Palp is almost a guaranteed half point.  Take 3 shields off of quick draw and she's down.

That's 15 points for Palp

16 for Quiz

20 points for QD (she's rocking a harpoon)

That's 51 points.  Lose Palp and it's 65.  If you go against quad wookies you *HAVE* to kill at least 2 and half a third, or more than half 3 of them and outright kill another.  I think rebel jank lists will be happy to bleed 12 points of MOV on a 24 point ship if it means they can get 15+ from an acey one by jousting.  I don't think this goes well for Imps.

34 minutes ago, viedit said:

I don't know how I feel about it as a whole, I'm still trying to go through numbers and scenarios in my head but I feel like Imperials end up getting screwed the hardest here.  They are already the faction most vulnerable to bombs and some of the lowest health pools in the game.

Your intuition is correct.  This would be another kick in the teeth to ships that rely on AGI to stay alive.

The truth is, there's no good way to do half-MoV, but of all the bad options, the fairest is "9 HP+ total (SMall or Large) gets a half-points token when it first gets to half-HP or below."

2 minutes ago, arkhamssaber said:

I think any ship worth 33 or more points should be subject to the half point rule. 

So we will never see Soontir or Whisper come back to the game? I think a HP value somewhere in the 5-8 range would be best.

I have called for the regen to be based on total shields like viedit described forever.