oddeye

Everyones preorder thread

17 minutes ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Waiting to see how the game plays before buying any duplicate expansion packs.

This works fine so long as you are able to borrow a set of corps troops from a friend, or are planning only on playing casual games until the release of Snowtroopers and Fleet troopers (unfortunately).

3 hours ago, Caimheul1313 said:

This works fine so long as you are able to borrow a set of corps troops from a friend, or are planning only on playing casual games until the release of Snowtroopers and Fleet troopers (unfortunately).

Yeah thats cool.

Have a solid feeling the first month will be core set or core set with small extra battles and by then we will be well into April and another wave.

Cant see there being full 800 tournaments straight up where I game.

Core, Dice, Stormtroopers, AT-ST.

I already have a 6 x 3 FAT mat (Grassy Plains 2) and have been making terrain over the weekends (just a few hills with trees and a couple of boulders).

This way I can field a 800pt imperial force from day 1 and happy to do 400pt battles at home on half size map.

I plan on growing the rebels towards the end of the year once they have a few more options that i'm happy with

I'm only going to get the game if they have generic, non-character commanders, so I won't be preordering. Since I doubt they'll ever have generic commanders, I think it's a safe bet I won't get into the game. I may buy, paint, and sell a core set and some models down the track, though. 

33 minutes ago, srMontresor said:

I'm only going to get the game if they have generic, non-character commanders, so I won't be preordering. Since I doubt they'll ever have generic commanders, I think it's a safe bet I won't get into the game. I may buy, paint, and sell a core set and some models down the track, though. 

Each to their own I accept that, but seems a very minor point on which to buy a game or not to me?

If you like the game enough, buy and make your own generic commanders?  

6 hours ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

Yeah thats cool.

Have a solid feeling the first month will be core set or core set with small extra battles and by then we will be well into April and another wave.

Cant see there being full 800 tournaments straight up where I game.

Fair enough! I was trying making sure you knew so it didn't come as a surprise. :)

Besides everyone can only play one side at a time, so it's not like you and your opponent at whatever local club couldn't lend each other an extra Corp unit if necessary.

2 hours ago, srMontresor said:

I’d really like to see generic commanders as well. Would be cool to model a force around your own head-canon. If it doesn’t appear that they’re going in that direction, I plan on buying an extra commander model and modifying it a bit and changing up the paint. Veers could already be just about any Imperial general. 

10 hours ago, The Cocky Rooster said:

1x Core

1x Dice Pack

1x measuring tool

Terrain

I already have a 3'x6' grasslands playmat

And a friend is buying 1x core and maybe more

Oh and the terrain and Core are already set to be commissioned out for painting.

That’s pretty good terrain @The Cocky Rooster have you seen others of that quality?  Which playmat did you purchase?

I wanted to possibly get enough to have three separate maps.

1 hour ago, OMGBRICK said:

I’d really like to see generic commanders as well. Would be cool to model a force around your own head-canon. If it doesn’t appear that they’re going in that direction, I plan on buying an extra commander model and modifying it a bit and changing up the paint. Veers could already be just about any Imperial general. 

We might see a similar Rebel commander (Cracken, Draven, etc) and Leia does enable that to a lesser extent (paint the model blonde, redhead etc, change skin color). The characters that can't really be easily modded/painted in such a way are the lightsaber wielding characters. I am expecting only named characters as Commander (even if they are lesser known/FFG original characters) similarly to Armada. 

Edited by Caimheul1313

3 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

That’s pretty good terrain @The Cocky Rooster have you seen others of that quality?  Which playmat did you purchase?

I wanted to possibly get enough to have three separate maps.

This is what I bought. But the 6'x3' version that they don't seem to carry any longer

Honestly I didn't do a lot of research before my purchase of the terrain.

Idiot Alert! I just checked and my mat IS 6' x 4'!

Edited by The Cocky Rooster
error

I’m going with one core set, an at-st, and an airspeeder. I’ll probably just continue to add as I paint. I hate falling behind on painting and having tons of unpainted figure just sitting there like I currently have with imperial assault. 

9 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Each to their own I accept that, but seems a very minor point on which to buy a game or not to me?

If you like the game enough, buy and make your own generic commanders?  

Not minor to me, alas. Miniature wargaming attracts creative types, who quite often like to come up with their own unique units and personalities. It's an understandable effect of investing so much time into painting them. And that's not just true of sci-fi and fantasy wargames. The historical wargame scene is just as infected with people who don't care to take named characters, as is especially reflected in the ImagiNations phenomenon of 18th Century wargaming.

There is also another important factor to me, although I like the aesthetic of the original trilogy a lot, I would not describe myself as a Star Wars fan. In all honesty, I only really love Empire, so I have no particular interest in running the further adventures of Luke Skywalker and co.

But you are right, I could just make my own generic commanders from the models they release. As others have suggested, it's easy enough to do that with Veers and Leia. It all depends, ultimately, on how much I like the game itself.

4 hours ago, anferny said:

I’m going with one core set, an at-st, and an airspeeder. I’ll probably just continue to add as I paint. I hate falling behind on painting and having tons of unpainted figure just sitting there like I currently have with imperial assault. 

That's a sentiment I totally understand. When I buy an army in bulk, it sometimes takes years to paint. When I buy models piecemeal, I paint them at a quite breakneck rate.

1 Core

1 AT-ST

1 Snowspeeder

1 Dice Pack

1 Measuring Tools

This for starters. I'll definitely be converting my Rebels and probably the Imperials as well. Not a big fan of duplicates...

I'm Looking into a terrain mat since I prefer to base on clear bases. @The Cocky Rooster Does that mat have the logo printed in the corner?

After that terrain. Not sure which planet to go with.

1 hour ago, ejdmo said:

1 Core

1 AT-ST

1 Snowspeeder

1 Dice Pack

1 Measuring Tools

This for starters. I'll definitely be converting my Rebels and probably the Imperials as well. Not a big fan of duplicates...

I'm Looking into a terrain mat since I prefer to base on clear bases. @The Cocky Rooster Does that mat have the logo printed in the corner?

After that terrain. Not sure which planet to go with.

rGPYmvc.jpg

With the rumor of the, well, accelerated release schedule, I’m looking at sticking to a single faction because I will not be able to keep up “all the things” very much. Thinking of building an Imperial army, and keeping my core set Rebels for core set only battles to lure folks into the game.

I'm picking up one of everything except extra dice (since I intend to rely on the app for that), and an extra core set that I'm trading to a local minis painter to have him paint my core set for me.

@The Cocky Rooster Thank you. That's not too glaring a mark. The price on those is decent too, so I may just go with one of theirs.

I really like the Lothal idea someone one this forum suggested, so I am probably going to go with that as well. From what I remember it had some decently diverse terrain, so one could probably do a grassland, a forest, and an arid table all set on that planet. 

Edited by ejdmo