oddeye

Everyones preorder thread

3 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

As much as I want to buy at least one of everything, I'm probably starting with the core set, painting those and seeing how much I like it and actually play it. 

I have a $1000 worth of Warmahordes that I bought into and my friends all lost interest fairly quickly.

Yeah to be honest as much as we debate if 2 cores vs expansionsis the way to go, this is the starting point.

Get the core. Get people playing. 

Edited by Sk3tch

1 minute ago, Sk3tch said:

Yeah to be honest a debate if 2 cores vs expansions this is the starting point. Get the core. Get people playing. 

That's what I'm thinking. Plus do I play competitively or just for fun. So start small, make a nice 3x3 board and get some games under my belt. If I really enjoy it then move to expanding based on competitive play or just throwing down games in my house.

16 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

As much as I want to buy at least one of everything, I'm probably starting with the core set, painting those and seeing how much I like it and actually play it. 

I have a $1000 worth of Warmahordes that I bought into and my friends all lost interest fairly quickly.

I hear you!  In the same boat.  

10 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

That's what I'm thinking. Plus do I play competitively or just for fun. So start small, make a nice 3x3 board and get some games under my belt. If I really enjoy it then move to expanding based on competitive play or just throwing down games in my house.

I already know I'll be taking part of any OP at my FLGS, so I went for enough to easily make a 800 point force for either side. Otherwise, I would have only ordered a single core as well. 

33 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

Yeah to be honest as much as we debate if 2 cores vs expansionsis the way to go, this is the starting point.

Get the core. Get people playing. 

Nothing peaks more interest than a towering AT-ST... at least in my group.

I have pre-order 2 cores and 1 expansion each.

still not sure about a dice pack!

30 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

Honestly, I’m having way too much fun making terrain at home. I have to make a full 6x3 board to support the scatter I am building and want to build. Never mind the handful of “professional” stuff I want to buy (like a few pieces off imperial terrain, or a really sweet ruins set from Etsy).

Now I’ll probably end up playing a core set only even on that until I can afford to build up my forces. I want to add stuff to my army for diversity of choice but in reality between me and either of my friends who’ve bought a core set (and they bought some heavies as well), we can mix and match on game day and either of us can play a faction.

At this rate, I may only buy the stuff I feel inspired to paint myself since we have enough to go around :P 

As for fun vs competition, fun is the only way for me on this. I don’t need a second highly addictive habit of buying all the stuff. 

Thinking I'm going to start off with a 3x3 board and then expand to 6x3 if and when I expand out. I just can't decide which route I want to go for a board. I'm torn between Scarif, Sullust and Crait. 

I haven't painted in about 4 years so I've been watching Sorastro's stuff to get me excited again. I'm tempted to starting painting some of my IA stuff to get ready but it's winter in Wisconsin so I can't spray prime like I normally would.

8 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

Thinking I'm going to start off with a 3x3 board and then expand to 6x3 if and when I expand out. I just can't decide which route I want to go for a board. I'm torn between Scarif, Sullust and Crait. 

I haven't painted in about 4 years so I've been watching Sorastro's stuff to get me excited again. I'm tempted to starting painting some of my IA stuff to get ready but it's winter in Wisconsin so I can't spray prime like I normally would.

Vallejo's surface primer applies fairly well with a brush. I've been brushing on primer for awhile due to local humidity.

16 minutes ago, VictoryLeo said:

I feel your pain, neighbor. I’m hoping Minnesota gets a warm day or two in the next few weeks to get on that.

The correct answer is whichever you like. 3x3 boards are a lot easier to have more than one of, so you could do multiples. Not sure what would go on Crait though since the terrain was so flat.

I’m building mine with the intent I can put scatter down for different worlds and it kinda works. With a green and brown base I’m plotting for the felt, I could easily switch it from Endor to Naboo, Yavin, or even Dagobah with just a change in the scatter terrain I place on top of it. Will it be perfect for any of them? Probably not. But it’ll be pretty good for all of them.

1 hour ago, Lukez said:

Why 2x veers?

Im buying 2x veers so i can use one coming out of the top hatch of my at-st. I can't speak for the "imperial advisor" but perhaps it's for the same thing.

Just the core set and a dice pack. I'm not willing to go all in until I play it and like it. There is still a small chance i'll play it and find it clunky and boring, or just lame. I'm almost hesitating to make terrain until I know the game is decent. Theres a big difference between looking at basic rules online and actually playing the game. And we don't have the full rules yet either.

17 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I feel your pain, neighbor. I’m hoping Minnesota gets a warm day or two in the next few weeks to get on that.

The correct answer is whichever you like. 3x3 boards are a lot easier to have more than one of, so you could do multiples. Not sure what would go on Crait though since the terrain was so flat.

I’m building mine with the intent I can put scatter down for different worlds and it kinda works. With a green and brown base I’m plotting for the felt, I could easily switch it from Endor to Naboo, Yavin, or even Dagobah with just a change in the scatter terrain I place on top of it. Will it be perfect for any of them? Probably not. But it’ll be pretty good for all of them.

As a fellow Minnesotan anxiously awaiting summer, remember that June is just around the corner. ;)

17 minutes ago, oddeye said:

Im buying 2x veers so i can use one coming out of the top hatch of my at-st. I can't speak for the "imperial advisor" but perhaps it's for the same thing.

Ooh I’d definitely use this idea if I was playing Imperials. Magnetize him and paint him like General Weiss for when I use that upgrade card. 

1 hour ago, Basylle said:

As a fellow Minnesotan anxiously awaiting summer, remember that June is just around the corner. ;)

I'm also enjoying this abnormally cold February in Minnesota; but I took some advice from some guy on YouTube and just bought an airbrush instead of whatever game I was planning to buy.  This should be on the top of the Buy Next list for anyone that wants to paint minis, especially those of us in cold climates.

3 minutes ago, steveisbig said:

I'm also enjoying this abnormally cold February in Minnesota; but I took some advice from some guy on YouTube and just bought an airbrush instead of whatever game I was planning to buy.  This should be on the top of the Buy Next list for anyone that wants to paint minis, especially those of us in cold climates.

I did the same. So far I'm using it mostly for priming and vanishing, but I'm looking forward to learning more about how to use it.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

I need to get some brush on primer. Last year was the worst. I was building shoretrooper armor for the 501st and it went from a few warm days to paint to a hot and humid summer. I think over the course of three months I had 3 days that were good for painting.

I was thinking of setting up Crait like the Battlefront 2 map with trenches and craters for cover. Like the idea of a straight frontal assault fight. I really want to do Scarif since I want to play around with water effects and I'm partial towards tropical beaches (Parrothead for life!). We need some rules for terrain so I can build something that would be tournament equivalent. Is it like X-wing where each player places 2-3 pieces of terrain or will it be more varied maps?

I already pre-ordered 1 Core, 1 Dice Pack, 1 Measure Tool, 1 T-47 SnowSpeeder, 1 AT-ST, 1 Rebel Troopers, 1 AT-RT, 1 Speeder Bikes, and 1 Stormtroopers. Also, ordered from Imperial Terrain 1 large desert terrain bundle (tower, 1 urban house, 1 rural house, 3 moisture vaporators), 6 moisture vaporators, 2 pallets and crates, 1 urban house, 1 rural house, 1 maintenance bay, 1 maintenance bay house, 1 mos bed/bath house, 1 large crates and containers by Terrance bundle. I plan on more terrain purchases for Imperial Terrain very soon.

1 hour ago, Basylle said:

I did the same. So far I'm using it mostly for priming and vanishing, but I'm looking forward to learning more about how to use it.

Same here. Priming and zenithal highlighting for the most part. I try to see how much i can get away with before ruining the mini with a paint brush. :)

I plan to get 2 of everything over time, except for the commanders. As I plan to paint what I have before I buy more this will be a slightly drawn out process.

Given that the cards missing from the core sets come in the Troopers, Snow Troopers, Rebels and Fleet Troopers I'll end up with sufficient.