Villan

Unplayable/useless ships?

I only play casually at present with my brother and love the game to bits.  My brother buys everything and I occasionally buy a new ship or two.  Recently he has had the better of me.  We use all the cards in the game and just limit to the ships that we own. I am not he best at building efficient build but I am reluctant to spend much more money on this game as it feels that some ships such as TIE's and A-Wings at present feel pretty useless against some of the new ships/ pilots and new metas.  Does anyone else feel the someway?  Are there other ships you would caution about spending money on?

1 minute ago, Giledhil said:

You like the Original Trilogy? Choose an other game :(

Nothing to do with that, I have other ships like the Decimator, K-Wing, HWK. But newer ships on the whole feel over powered for the price. Perhaps I'm wrong.

18 minutes ago, migs6000 said:

U-Wing is terrible, just buy it for expertise.

Still better than the Lambda :) They are somewhat saved by Palpatine... but not really.

Punishers, sadly, are utterly useless.

Most 2 attack ships are also fairly weak, and they are not worth it above a certain point value, only as fillers or blockers. A-wings are a bit overpriced for the amount of pain they dash out, while TIE-s are efficient, swarms are very dead.

Many early wave ships are not priced right, and generics (and sometimes Named Pilots) often lack an EPT. These make them sub par to newer ships.

The game got more complex. Old ships have simpler mechanics, and fewer mechanics built into them. This makes older ships obsolete.

Scum is a cancer that destroys the game from within. There are just too many "problematic" ships and combos for scum to be an accident, and whenever their new ships are directly compared with the other ships, you can tell that the ships weren't designed to be the same power level. Scum has only slightly fewer ships, but they are 6 waves behind, so most of their ships are relatively new, they benefit disproportionately from Powercreep.

So mechanics creep, power creep and common design mistakes in the early waves, all make the older ships worse than anything new.

Edited by RufusDaMan

Everything is useful in casual. You just need your brother to not net list.

The first time i played the infamous TIE Punisher with Redline, he was the hero of the match, and almost took no damage.

The only ships i don't use are ships that doesn't motivate me (turrets and Scum in general)

Current bottom 11 ships on meta-wing.com

44.) A-Wing

45.) Upsilon-class Shuttle

46.) B-Wing

47.) Z-95 (Scum)

48.) HWK-290 (Rebel)

49.) G1-A

50.) Firespray-31 (Imp)

51.) TIE Interceptor

52.) TIE Phantom

53.) U-Wing

54.) TIE Punisher

Edited by Vordyn
Can't count >.< and can't tell the difference between a Bomber and Punisher apparently Oo

3 minutes ago, Vordyn said:

Current bottom 10 ships on meta-wing.com

44.) A-Wing

46.) B-Wing

47.) Z-95 (Scum)

48.) HWK-290 (Rebel)

49.) G1-A

50.) Firespray-31 (Imp)

51.) TIE Interceptor

52.) TIE Phantom

53.) U-Wing

54.) TIE Bomber

This serves to highlight how thoughtfully metawing should be used. Definitely not to answer your question, @Villan.

2 minutes ago, Villan said:

What would be the best way to make they playable? Repricing? 

I'm in the camp of them receiving buffs, and there is SOME precedent for that with Aces packs, but most of these ships already received one (but it sucked), and it is unlikely that they get another one. FFG is not saying what are their plans.

Upgrade fixes ie. Titles and mods are most common ways to fix under performing ships.

But list synergy is also a factor you should consider ie, a classically under performing ship can get a massive power boost from certain pilot/upgrade combinations. 

8 minutes ago, Vordyn said:

54.) TIE Bomber

I had to do a double-take and check the data on this one. Number 54 is actually the TIE Punisher (unsurprisingly) and the TIE Bomber is resting a little more comfortably at number 39 at the moment.

20 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

This serves to highlight how thoughtfully metawing should be used. Definitely not to answer your question, @Villan.

Fair enough, certainly don't disagree.

@Villan metawing just tries to aggregate tournament results. That bottom ship list is just a snap shot of unpopular lists/ships at the moment, the next wave could completely flip that list on it's head.

Edited by Vordyn

49 minutes ago, Villan said:

I only play casually at present with my brother and love the game to bits.  My brother buys everything and I occasionally buy a new ship or two.  Recently he has had the better of me.  We use all the cards in the game and just limit to the ships that we own. I am not he best at building efficient build but I am reluctant to spend much more money on this game as it feels that some ships such as TIE's and A-Wings at present feel pretty useless against some of the new ships/ pilots and new metas.  Does anyone else feel the someway?  Are there other ships you would caution about spending money on?

Have you checked out Heroes of the Aturi Cluster? It’s a really fun fan made play mode that is cooperative. The designer figured out a pretty good AI for the enemy TIE fighters. 

You can find links to it all over this forum. That is a great way to enjoy the classic iconic Star Wars ships you see in the movies like the X-Wing (not some unpronounceable gobbledygook scum ship from a stupid early 2000s video game). 

30 minutes ago, Vordyn said:

44.) A-Wing

46.) B-Wing

47.) Z-95 (Scum)

48.) HWK-290 (Rebel)

49.) G1-A

50.) Firespray-31 (Imp)

51.) TIE Interceptor

52.) TIE Phantom

53.) U-Wing

54.) TIE Bomber

And now cross reference them with the national, open and and regional winners of the last 4 months. ;-) 

1 hour ago, Phlyk said:

I had to do a double-take and check the data on this one. Number 54 is actually the TIE Punisher (unsurprisingly) and the TIE Bomber is resting a little more comfortably at number 39 at the moment.

Fixed, thank you for pointing that out.

Yeesh.

24 minutes ago, Malasombra said:

TIE Punisher in Top 16 of Bilbao Regional in Spain.

Don't believe the meta! :P

There is no meta, only Zuul.

@Villan while it's true that some ships (and combinations of ships, pilots and upgrades) are very powerful, it depends a lot on how you play the game and how you want to play the game.  If you play the game casually with family and friends, then you shouldn't really need to worry troo much about tailoring your list and flying meta builds unless your friends and family are really competitive).  If you want to jump into the tournament scene, then it's probably worth checking out what lists are doing welll and what the top players are flying.

Take that list that @Vordyn posted above - those ships are not all necessarily bad, they're just not being flown very often at the moment in (recorded) tournament play.  In fact, some of the pilots there (Soontir Fel, Whisper, Carnor Jax, Jake Farrell, Tycho Celchu) can be absolutely amazing if flown well.

And that comes from practice, more than anything else.  I usually take the approach first and foremost, you should enjoy flying the ships you're using.  If you're putting Fenn and the Ghost on the table because it's what the top players are using, but you don't particularly enjoy flying them, then what's the point?  It's much more rewarding taking something you enjoy and getting some good games out of it.

6 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

Man, I remember a time when every single Imperial list might as well have had "and Soontir Fel" permanently attached to it....

Ahh yes those halcyon times of trying to get him in arc, only to miss completely again and again, praying for poor evade dice or pilot mistakes.... still I suppose no worse than what we have at the moment I suppose.

*Putting on bullet proof vest & checking my will/life insurance are in order as I'm about to get brutally gunned down by Imp. Players.*

I know you said you don't want to buy more ships, but there's a few that are really nice to have. Do you have a YT-2400? That comes with a great build right out of the box. So does the First Order TIE Fighter expansion. Sounds like you've got a K-Wing? That's good. You might also consider Heroes of the Resistance. 

Sadly, you probably won't be able to do much with ships that only roll 2 attack dice. Those just don't seem to be able to do enough damage nowadays. (And swarms get killed pretty easily). 

Other than that, I think it's probably just that your brother has more available upgrade cards. Maybe ask him if you can proxy/borrow upgrades? Or even just build lists with an online squadbuilder or an app, and not bother getting out all the cards or worrying about which ones you do or don't own?