Green Knight

I Have You Now - New (and opinionated) Armada blog

On 10/9/2018 at 2:35 PM, Green Knight said:

We had a discussion on Discord re Thrawn and clearing raid tokens: https://armadaihaveyounow.blogspot.com/2018/10/thrawn-dials-and-clearing-raid-tokens.html

#raidOP

#ThrawnOP

#lolz

Thanks to @Drasnighta for catching this one:

Q: Do abilities or card effects that resolve when a ship reveals its command dial resolve when a command dial placed on an upgrade card equipped to that ship is revealed?
A: No. Effects that resolve when a ship reveals its command dial only resolve when a ship reveals a command dial from the stack assigned to its ship card as part of its activation.

So what can we take away from this? Read the entire FAQ before starting any thought processes!

I once made the comment to a new Armada player that “X wing is checkers, Armada is 3 dimensional chess.”

There were some X wing players in the room who overheard me and wanted to know who I was to say such a thing. I gave them a fake name and pretended I did not speak English. 

39 minutes ago, LTD said:

I once made the comment to a new Armada player that “X wing is checkers, Armada is 3 dimensional chess.”

There were some X wing players in the room who overheard me and wanted to know who I was to say such a thing. I gave them a fake name and pretended I did not speak English. 

Just challenge them to learn Armada!

Apples and oranges really. Despite the purely visual similarities xwing and armada are two very different games. In a way, it's easier to make comparisons between armada and legion than between armada and xwing (though all three are excellent games). 

Xwing isn't less complex as much as it's complexity doesn't lie in it's mechanics but in the constant bluffing and mindgaming - especially among the best players.

In armada having a strategic plan for the battle is the key. Deployment, mission selection, speed etc all make or break the game. While it rewards long term thinking, once the plan is set in motion the potential for surprise is limited. It's not that players can't do anything unexpected or that the decisions made during the game can't affect the outcome but for the most part you can predict where the enemy ships are likely to be a turn or two from now and what they're likely to do.

Xwing is different. Having a solid early game plan is important and if it's well executed it can snowball into victory (as Green Knight proved) but if you want to succeed at the highest level you need to learn how to get into the opponent's head and predict his moves turn after turn. The situation on the table can change very quickly and  dramatically due to the myriad little decisions both players make and it makes xwing just as demanding as armada - just in a very different way. 

54 minutes ago, Lightrock said:

Xwing is different. Having a solid early game plan is important and if it's well executed it can snowball into victory (as Green Knight proved) but if you want to succeed at the highest level you need to learn how to get into the opponent's head and predict his moves turn after turn. The situation on the table can change very quickly and  dramatically due to the myriad little decisions both players make and it makes xwing just as demanding as armada - just in a very different way. 

Exactly!

And I think my 1 loss proved this point wonderfully: I blew away 2 of 3 ships, taking little damage in return, but was unable to capitalize on this, as my opponent outguessed me/managed to fly in such a way I could not focus down his last ship (Feann rolling 5 hits vs Wedge that blanked his evade didn't help, taking him from full health to 1 hull in 1 shot). His skill level was so much higher than mine that I just couldn't make it.

Fun fact: in another game Wedge took out Fenn in 1 torpedo shot, scoring 4 hits and Fenn blanking his evade :D

Edited by Green Knight

8 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

Nice write up, thanks!

What do you think Christian could have done better against your fleet? Asking for a friend... ?

You can tall your friend he did well... I can't remember the last time I had such a close game ;)

Setting up the HH like that and the squads was a problem since Toryn was out of range almost the whole game and then she died. You really need TF rerolls to win the squad game, esp since you opted to come out and attack my ships, rather than wait for me.

Also please take a nav token for the MC75 early.

Other than that, good, I think.

I like the fleet too. But I'm not so happy about spending 39 pts on a corvette u can't use. Minor things.

37 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Nordics r3.

Sloane has a close encounter with Mauler.

I still think he's ludicrous. What were u thinking FFG!?

https://armadaihaveyounow.blogspot.com/2018/11/nordics-2018-after-action-report-part-5.html

Auto-damage is a bit ludicrous. Ten Numb is just as bad. Boba is a bit more reasonable at least. It seems like an attempt to balance out scatter or something.

Just now, CommanderDave said:

Auto-damage is a bit ludicrous. Ten Numb is just as bad. Boba is a bit more reasonable at least. It seems like an attempt to balance out scatter or something.

Mithel is old, the same crazy period that gave us rhymer, yavaris, gallant etc.

Ten is new so I'm not sure what the idea was. Give the rebels a mithel equivalent? 

6 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Mithel is old, the same crazy period that gave us rhymer, yavaris, gallant etc.

Ten is new so I'm not sure what the idea was. Give the rebels a mithel equivalent? 

"So hear me out, guys: what if Rebels had a Mauler Mithel?"
"Okay, but shouldn't he have some kind of restriction?"
"Sure, it's an ace B-Wing and he does his thing on a blue crit instead of on movement."
"Huh, that seems all right. I mean it might be a problem if Rebels had some way to keep aces alive longer or easy access to blue dice rerolls or some means of giving squadrons multiple attacks or speeding up slow squadrons, but at least if there aren't squadrons to fight, he's still a B-Wing, so that seems fair, right?"

10 hours ago, Snipafist said:

"So hear me out, guys: what if Rebels had a Mauler Mithel?"
"Okay, but shouldn't he have some kind of restriction?"
"Sure, it's an ace B-Wing and he does his thing on a blue crit instead of on movement."
"Huh, that seems all right. I mean it might be a problem if Rebels had some way to keep aces alive longer or easy access to blue dice rerolls or some means of giving squadrons multiple attacks or speeding up slow squadrons, but at least if there aren't squadrons to fight, he's still a B-Wing, so that seems fair, right?"

I know, what could they possibly have been thinking! It's not like Rebs were severely outclassed in the squadron on squadron fight despite those upgrades before CC.

Oh right, they were :P

1 hour ago, Truthiness said:

I know, what could they possibly have been thinking! It's not like Rebs were severely outclassed in the squadron on squadron fight despite those upgrades before CC.

Which is why Imperial squadron-heavy has won every Worlds, clearly. Oh wait, wrong faction.

I'm not saying Mauler isn't dumb. He is. It's just Ten Numb is arguably even dumber and at that point FFG should've known better.

Rieekan, torynn Farr, Jan Ors, Gallant Haven (you need 3 damage to do a single hit kek) Yavaris. 

2400 spam! (Edit)

Edited by TallGiraffe

Not.

But the point is, if Mithel is bad, why make more opness to 'counter'?

Rebels more often than not include Toryn, Adar, Ten and Yavaris.

Almost all imp list with squads will include mithel.

This is very sad.

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Not.

But the point is, if Mithel is bad, why make more opness to 'counter'?

Rebels more often than not include Toryn, Adar, Ten and Yavaris.

Almost all imp list with squads will include mithel.

This is very sad.

Mithel is best squad in the game for points value. Costs the same a freaking E-wing! Nothing in the game can do as much easy auto-damage. At least with ten numb the auto damage isn't to your target as the splash has to be on targets within 1 of the target meaning you can space out to minimise the impact. Being in space one of Mithel means you have to spread out a lot more to avoid getting hit. 

An easier fix would be to make it that the damage is done when he moves, not after he moves. i.e. at the start of the move not the end. so you need to be around heavies or have intel to do the damage.