Larry Ho-Teep

5 Homemade Archetype for Arkham Horror LCG

Genesys Archetype 

I am asking for your opinion for those 5 homemade Archetype. I am a huge fan of The Arkham Horror Card Game LCG. I want to convert the flavor/wording of the game to my Genesys game as best as possible.  Be generous with your comments. 

(source)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/23/talents-and-talismans/

Guardians

Guardians like feel compelled to defend humanity, and thus go out of their way to combat the forces of the Mythos. They have a strong sense of duty and selflessness that drives them to protect others, and to hunt monsters down. However, because they do so much to protect others, Guardians often put themselves in danger, and don't particularly focus on evading enemies.

Although Arkham's police won't necessarily accept the darker truths about the events transpiring around them, the fact that they are sworn to protect and to serve means that many of their efforts are represented within the Guardian class, and you will find their efforts depicted through cards like Police Badge (Core Set, 27) and Beat Cop (Core Set, 28).

Brawn: 3

Agility: 2

Intellect: 2

Cunning: 2

Willpower: 1

Presence: 2

• Starting Wound Threshold: 12 + Brawn
  • Starting Strain Threshold: 8 + Willpower
  • Starting Experience: 100
  • Starting Skills: A Guardian starts with one rank in Brawl during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points, and may not increase Brawl above rank 2 during character creation. 
  • True Grit: Once per session, your character may spend a Story Point as an out-of-action incidental immediately after suffering, or another character in a medium or closer range, a Critical Injury and determining the result. If they do so, they count the result rolled as “01”.   

Note: This is a little variation from The Labourer archetype.   

Seeker

Seekers are primarily concerned—if not obsessed—with learning more about the world's mysteries and about the Mythos. They wish to research forgotten lore, map out uncharted areas, and study strange creatures.

Seekers are likely to regard books and librarians as their guides along their journeys of discovery. These, in turn, better equip you for whatever challenges lie ahead.

However, you'll also find that Seekers tend to focus so much on matters of the mind that they often neglect the body, frequently leaving them frail and poor in combat.

Brawn: 1

Intellect: 3

Willpower: 2

• Starting Wound Threshold: 8 + Brawn
  • Starting Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower
  • Starting Skills: A Seeker starts with one rank in Perception during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points, and may not increase Perception above rank 2 during character creation. 
  • Inquiring Mind: Once per session, your character may spend a Story Point as an out-of-action incidental. If they do so, during the next check they make during that turn, you count their rank in the skill being used as equal to their Intellect.   

Note: This is a little variation from The Intellectual archetype. I wonder if it would be better to have the Knowledge : Mythos Lore skill instead of Perception skill? 

Rogue

Rogues are typically self-serving individuals who make sure, above all, that they're looking out for themselves. Wily and opportunistic, they are always eager to find new ways to exploit the situations in which they find themselves.

While Rogue characters are typically good at evading enemies and conflict, they often struggle when forced into conflict. Accordingly, most Rogues like to have an escape plan as a back-up for their escape plan, and only take the time to Backstab an enemy if they can properly arm themselves first.

Brawn: 2

Agility: 3

Willpower: 1

• Starting Wound Threshold: 10 + Brawn
  • Starting Strain Threshold: 10 + Willpower
  • Starting Skills: A Seeker starts with one rank in Coordination during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points, and may not increase Coordination above rank 2 during character creation. 
  • Opportunist: Once per session, your character may spend a Story Point as an out-of-action incidental. If they do so, A- during the next check they make during that turn, you can remove up to two Setback Dice from your dice pool and add them to another character’s dice pool for his next check or opposed check or B- during the next check another character makes during that turn, you can remove up to two Boost Dice from their dice pool and add them to your dice pool for your next check or opposed check.

Note: I made up Opportunist Special ability. It is long, but is it good, overpowered or underpowered?  

Mystic

Mystic characters are frequently drawn to and influenced by the arcane forces of the Mythos. Some have even delved into forbidden knowledge, developing spellcasting abilities that allow them to manipulate the universe through magic.

Notably, the deeper these Mystics pursue their extraordinary powers, the more they risk corruption or madness. This means the class best suits those investigators willing to accept a high measure of risk to gain potentially great rewards.

Agility: 1

Willpower: 3

• Starting Skills: A Mystic starts with one rank in Arcane during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points, and may not increase Arcane above rank 2 during character creation. 
  • Grounded: Once per session, your character may spend a Story Point as an out-of-action incidental immediately after making a Arcane check. If they do so, they cancel up to three Threat or one Despair results.    

Note: I made up Grounded Special ability. I wonder if it is good, overpowered or underpowered? Also, I wonder if it is ok to have a Archetype that starts with a spellcasting skill?   

Survivor

Survivors aren't quite like the other investigators. They're not particularly inspired to protect humanity from the horrors they uncover, nor are they driven by their curiosity. They don't begin their investigations after years of dabbling in strange magics, and they aren't constantly looking for ways to exploit the events transpiring about them.

Instead, the characters that belong to the Survivor class are just everyday people who get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, and their primary objective is simply to survive. Ill-prepared and ill-equipped, Survivors are the perpetual underdogs, and they rise to the occasion when their lives are threatened.

Willpower: 2

• Starting Experience: 110
  • Starting Skills: A Survivor starts with one rank in two different non-career skills during character creation. They obtain this rank before spending experience points, and theses skills may not increase Arcane above rank 2 during character creation. 
  • Dig Deep: Once per session as an out-of-action incidental, you may move one Story Point from the Game Master’s pool to the player’s pool.    

Note: This is about the same as The Average Human archetype.   

They look pretty good so far.

As a purely personal opinion I'd maybe swap the rank in Brawl on the Guardian archetype to a rank in Resilience. Brawl pushes the character towards a close up melee role early on and I think Resilience is more in keeping with your ideas that this character is a bodyguard, taking hits but staying upright.

The Mystic, and starting with magic is a question of tone really. In the various Arkham Horror games the players often start with a spell or two, but the scope of the game is more limited so they need that extra boost to stay competitive. In an RPG you can stretch the game out more allowing the characters to come across Arcane lore at a more sedate pace. If your looking to run one-shots or short campaigns I'd say its fine, otherwise maybe rethink it. Or, as an alternative, have the mystic start with a reduced Sanity, or a penalty to whatever Sanity mechanic you end up with, as the price for dabbling in the unknown. It also depends on how badass you're going to make magic and how much of it you have access to just by having the Arcane skill. Are you using the magic system straight out of the Core rules?

Opportunist seems strong. Maybe limit it to either Boost or Setback dice rather than both, or reduce the number of dice moved to one if your sticking with both. The limit of once per session and the cost of a Story Point are both good ways of keeping the abuse level low. Give it a playtest and see how it works in practice.

Finally, just as a matter of completeness, you don't have a Socialite archetype yet. I would definitely think about putting one in.

Hoe that helps :)

7 hours ago, Larry Ho-Teep said:

Opportunist: Once per session, your character may spend a Story Point as an out-of-action incidental. If they do so, A- during the next check they make during that turn, you can remove up to two Setback Dice from your dice pool and add them to another character’s dice pool for his next check or opposed check or B- during the next check another character makes during that turn, you can remove up to two Boost Dice from their dice pool and add them to your dice pool for your next check or opposed check.

I would just pick one of these two things, probably the setback option.

Rogue seems the wrong archetype to have a Willpower of 1, Intellect or even Brawn would perhaps be better.

7 hours ago, Larry Ho-Teep said:

Grounded: Once per session, your character may spend a Story Point as an out-of-action incidental immediately after making a Arcane check. If they do so, they cancel up to three Threat or one Despair results.   

This seems powerfull, Two Threat and no Despair option would perhaps be better, or have the Despair removal cost 2 Strain.

I assume Arcane uses Willpower in this setting? Having an archetype that starts with a magic skill rank should be fine.

I’ll second that you need a Leader type and a Sneak too, characters with a 3 in Presence and Cunning.

Edited by Richardbuxton