Celestial Lizards

Solo Teaser Observations

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

Do you even Star Wars bro?

Yep.  I like the, ya know, Star WARS, not the **** hentai monsters that Disney feels obligated to put in all* of their movies.

I was a whole lot more interested in this when I thought we would see Han's time with the Empire, but the full trailer makes it look like that'll be done in minutes, if at all.  

*TLJ notwithstanding.  Haven't seen it, so I don't know if they put a tentacle monster in it or not.  If not, it'd be the only movie they've made that doesn't have one. 

Edited by Alpha17

1 hour ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Emilia Clarke will be the eleventh actress from Game of Thrones (2011) to appear in the Star Wars film franchise. Her co-stars Julian Glover (Major General Veers)  was in Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.   Keisha Castle-Hughes in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith,  Gwendoline Christie, Max von Sydow, Jessica Henwick, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Mark Stanley, Miltos Yerolemou and 'Emun Elliott' all appear in Star Wars: The Force Awakens  and Ian McElhinney appears in  Rogue One: A Star Wars Story .

Kate Dickie (Lysa Arryn) was a F/O officer in TLJ too.

2 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Yep.  I like the, ya know, Star WARS, not the **** hentai monsters that Disney feels obligated to put in all* of their movies.

*TLJ notwithstanding.  Haven't seen it, so I don't know if they put a tentacle monster in it or not.  If not, it'd be the only movie they've made that doesn't have one. 

Ummm...dianoga?  The space slug?  The Sarlacc?  And let's not even get started on the menagerie of creatures in the prequels...

Not sure what "Disney" has to do with it - Star Wars has pretty much always had 'tentacled (-ish) space monsters' in them all along.

46 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Ummm...dianoga?  The space slug?  The Sarlacc?  And let's not even get started on the menagerie of creatures in the prequels...

Not sure what "Disney" has to do with it - Star Wars has pretty much always had 'tentacled (-ish) space monsters' in them all along.

Ding ding ding. Its a part of Star Wars.

Edited by dsul413

7 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

k3b3h07d7ge01.jpg

Alden Ehrenreich in Solo: A Star Wars Story and Harrison Ford in American Graffiti  (directed by George Lucas).   Ron Howard was also in American Graffiti.

Would just like to point out the look on Alden's face in the above photo.  And wonder where Emilia Clarke's left hand is.

8 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Right hence the question. If you don’t like dumb jokes and tentacles then do you really even like Star Wars?

Yes I do.  ESB, and the Prequels all managed to avoid tentacle monsters (by including their own, unique monsters) why the **** can't Disney have anything that isn't a **** tentacle monster?  

To honestly answer your question, I have to say that I've never cared for randomly including monsters into Star Wars.  The Dianoga in ANH didn't really serve a purpose, nor have any of the monsters in the Disney-verse movies.  ESB, RotJ, and the Prequels all had monsters that fit with the flow of the movie quite well.  I'll be the heretic here for a moment and say that what I like most about Star Wars isn't the movies.  The books, comics, and games have always been far better in my opinion, as you keep the same basic characters, organizations, and concepts of the movies, but avoid the tropes and "movieisms" like the **** monsters for visual shock value.  With the "Star Wars Story" anthology movies, I hoped we'd be able to explore different aspects of the Star Wars universe in a similar way, but instead, we get a stand-alone movie with all the film's tropes and flaws, and little else. 

8 hours ago, xanderf said:

I must have missed the tentacles on the space slug, or on literally any of the monsters in the prequels.  Those all felt unique in their creation and design.  Since Disney took over, the design has been big, tentacle monster, and that's it.  In Rogue One's case, by being shoehorned into a weird scene that didn't flow with the rest of the movie at all.  

Let's compare, shall we?  Lucas movies: 2 movies out of the 6 had tentacle monsters;  Disney, 3 (if one didn't show up in TLJ) out of their 4.

Bad jokes are meh for me.  I found most of the "bad jokes" to be at least somewhat amusing in the originals, but the ones in the trailer just seem.... off.  Like they're trying too hard.  I get what not-Han was going for wit that quip at the end, but it felt forced.  Maybe it'll be better in the actual movie (context and all), but if that's the case, why the **** did they include it in the trailer? 

Sorry if this comes off as whiny, but I guess it's just settling disappointment from the full trailer.  Unlike TLJ, I do plan on seeing Solo, so we'll see if the movie can surpass my expectations. 

Edited by Alpha17

25 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

...I'll be the heretic here for a moment and say that what I like most about Star Wars isn't the movies.  The books, comics, and games have always been far better in my opinion, as you keep the same basic characters, organizations, and concepts of the movies, but avoid the tropes and "movieisms" like the **** monsters for visual shock value.  With the "Star Wars Story" anthology movies, I hoped we'd be able to explore different aspects of the Star Wars universe in a similar way, but instead, we get a stand-alone movie with all the film's tropes and flaws, and little else. 

Same for me. The Star Wars universe was always a superior setting for non-movie material as they allow the consumer to get a better appreciation for the 'hugeness" of the galaxy (the opposite of this is very obvious, for instance, with the squeal trilogy, which feels like it takes place in a solar system).

45 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Yes I do.  ESB, and the Prequels all managed to avoid tentacle monsters (by including their own, unique monsters) why the **** can't Disney have anything that isn't a **** tentacle monster?  

To honestly answer your question, I have to say that I've never cared for randomly including monsters into Star Wars.  The Dianoga in ANH didn't really serve a purpose, nor have any of the monsters in the Disney-verse movies.  ESB, RotJ, and the Prequels all had monsters that fit with the flow of the movie quite well.  I'll be the heretic here for a moment and say that what I like most about Star Wars isn't the movies.  The books, comics, and games have always been far better in my opinion, as you keep the same basic characters, organizations, and concepts of the movies, but avoid the tropes and "movieisms" like the **** monsters for visual shock value.  With the "Star Wars Story" anthology movies, I hoped we'd be able to explore different aspects of the Star Wars universe in a similar way, but instead, we get a stand-alone movie with all the film's tropes and flaws, and little else. 

I must have missed the tentacles on the space slug, or on literally any of the monsters in the prequels.  Those all felt unique in their creation and design.  Since Disney took over, the design has been big, tentacle monster, and that's it.  In Rogue One's case, by being shoehorned into a weird scene that didn't flow with the rest of the movie at all.  

Let's compare, shall we?  Lucas movies: 2 movies out of the 6 had tentacle monsters;  Disney, 3 (if one didn't show up in TLJ) out of their 4.

Bad jokes are meh for me.  I found most of the "bad jokes" to be at least somewhat amusing in the originals, but the ones in the trailer just seem.... off.  Like they're trying too hard.  I get what not-Han was going for wit that quip at the end, but it felt forced.  Maybe it'll be better in the actual movie (context and all), but if that's the case, why the **** did they include it in the trailer? 

Sorry if this comes off as whiny, but I guess it's just settling disappointment from the full trailer.  Unlike TLJ, I do plan on seeing Solo, so we'll see if the movie can surpass my expectations. 

Jeez, you might be better off watching other movies then.  Tentacle monsters, odd looking monsters, and bad jokes are in all the movies. Every movie has some sort of acting blunder, over looked plot hole, or mishap of something.  Like listening to your child try to sing... you either enjoy the movie and overlook the mishap or you don’t watch the movie.