Sign in to follow this  
Wookiee_Slayer

Black Sun Thematic (Non-competitive)

So tomorrow it's saturday, and saturday means gamenight... So I am putting a list together to use.

I recently bought my second Most Wanted and my first Guns for Hire expansions. I now want to make a Black Sun list. I really like both the Z-95's and the Kihraxz's so I integrated those in the list.

'Here Goes Nothing'

Black Sun Ace (Kihraxz)

• Attani Mindlink
  • Hotshot Blaster
  • Vaksai

Black Sun Ace (Kihraxz)

• Attani Mindlink
  • Hotshot Blaster
  • Vaksai

Black Sun Soldier (Z-95)

• Stealth Device

Black Sun Soldier (Z-95)

• Stealth Device

Black Sun Soldier (Z-95)

• Stealth Device

So that is my list currently, I realise it has many flaws so please give feedback all I ask is to stay Black Sun thematic in the progress.

Cheers!

EDIT: here is the List Builder

Edited by Wookiee_Slayer

Man, the Black Sun theme on the Z-95s limits you. Dropping them to Binayre allows you to take a harpoon or cluster missile on each of them. I think you're probably better off with missiles than the stealth device--maybe cruise missiles. Z-95s are slow and squishy, but cheap enough that using them as some combination of disposable blocker and one-and-done ordnance platform is reasonable.

Likewise, the K-fighters want missiles, too, and you should take advantage of the Vaksai title to load them up with 1-point "free" modifications and illicits like contraband cybernetics and munitions failsafe and such. Don't leave any slot empty if you've got a free upgrade! (Assuming you're proxying cards for casual games.) I find that the K-fighters really like a reposition option, so I'd try to squeeze in vectored thrusters for barrel roll.

Agree with above, and probably would debate making a few changes to what I just put together. That being said, something like this would probably has a better chance of winning, IMHO.

Black Sun Ace (26) - Kihraxz

Attanni Mindlink (0), "Hot Shot" Blaster (2), Vaksai (0), Vectored Thrusters (1)

Black Sun Ace (26) - Kihraxz

Attanni Mindlink (0), "Hot Shot" Blaster (2), Vaksai (0), Vectored Thrusters (1)

Black Sun Soldier (16) - Z-95 Headhunter

XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1), Feedback Array (2), Guidance Chips (0)

The tracers help with action economy so that your K-fighters have a good chance at full mod shots on first pass and the feed back make the z's very dangerous blockers.

You gotta get Guri in there!  PTL, Autothrusters, and the new title is insanely fun.  But only if you have an original paint job Starviper.  I don't think Prince Zixor would be worth it unless he's taking Virago and FCS, which puts him up to 36 points.  Guri can make it with just PTL/AT/SV Mk.II at 32 points (but title/FCS is good too).

I'd swap one of the Black Sun Ace with her, since if you only have one Guns For Hire, you probably only have one Black Sun painted Khiraxz.  For the Black Sun Ace Khiraxz, I'd go Predator, Ion Discharger, Vectored Thrusters, and Pulsed Ray Shield.  Alternately, Talonbane Cobra, from his card art, is clearly a Black Sun pilot.  He'd fit in with Guri if fairly trim; VI, Interial Dampeners, and Vectored Thrusters.  Either Khiraxz can take some portion of the XX-23 S-Thread Tracers, Guidance Chips, Munitions Failsafe, it it appeals.  The only reason not to is the effort of digging the upgrades out of the binder.

This probably means naked Z-95s, though.  It'd be great to get S-Thread Tracers and GChips on all of them, though.  Maybe add Virago/FCS to Guri, and just run Black Sun Ace with 0 and 1 point upgrades.

If you want hot shot blasters,take them on the z-95s. Or missiles and guidance chips.

If you want to do mindlink on the Ks you can't turn around with both on the same turn. Sure you want to break formation?I would rather equip crack shot, glitterstim and Pulsed Ray shields on the Kihraxzes.

For starters, Munitions Failsafe is free on the Vaksai and is compatible with Hotshot Blaster. Next I would trade the stealth devices for Vectored Thrusters to make the Z's better blockers since I don't consider additional agility if much value without consistent dice mods and blocking enemy ships can soften them up for the Aces.

Edited by nitrobenz

Also, are you restricting proxy-ing in your list building? If you can have all the cards in the game here's a warmed over Black Sun Squad with all the upgrade slots filled:

All the things under the Black Sun

2x(26) Kihraxz Fighter: Black Sun Ace (23)
        Guidance Chips (0)
        Munitions Failsafe (0)
        Pulsed Ray Shield (1)
        Vaksai (0)
        Attanni Mindlink (0)
        XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (0)
        "Hot Shot" Blaster (2)

3x(16) Z-95 Headhunter: Black Sun Soldier (13)
        Guidance Chips (0)
        Scrambler Missiles (2)
        Inertial Dampeners (1)

Total:  100/100

If you can tag somebody with multiple Scramblers that will keep them tokenless for a couple rounds which can give the little Z's better odds to do damage. Intertidal Dampers let's the Z's stay in place if they're already in a good place to block.

Munitions Failsafe, as I said above, works with HS Blaster as well as the Thread Tracer missiles (also free for the Vaksai). Pulse Ray Shield because Regen is good, but it could just as easily be Vectored Thrusters if you like rolling better.

7 minutes ago, nitrobenz said:

Also, are you restricting proxy-ing in your list building? If you can have all the cards in the game here's a warmed over Black Sun Squad with all the upgrade slots filled:

All the things under the Black Sun

2x(26) Kihraxz Fighter: Black Sun Ace (23)
        Guidance Chips (0)
        Munitions Failsafe (0)
        Pulsed Ray Shield (1)
        Vaksai (0)
        Attanni Mindlink (0)
        XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (0)
        "Hot Shot" Blaster (2)

3x(16) Z-95 Headhunter: Black Sun Soldier (13)
        Guidance Chips (0)
        Scrambler Missiles (2)
        Inertial Dampeners (1)

Total:  100/100

If you can tag somebody with multiple Scramblers that will keep them tokenless for a couple rounds which can give the little Z's better odds to do damage. Intertidal Dampers let's the Z's stay in place if they're already in a good place to block.

Munitions Failsafe, as I said above, works with HS Blaster as well as the Thread Tracer missiles (also free for the Vaksai). Pulse Ray Shield because Regen is good, but it could just as easily be Vectored Thrusters if you like rolling better.

I generally try to proxy as less as possible, but most stuff on this list I have...

btw I am dropping one of the Kihraces (<typo/pun intended) for the sake of filling some of the zeds with an alphastrike or blocking set up, have yet to decide which of the two to go with.

maybe if I have enough points left I will make the remaining Kihrace into a Cobra...

Ps. thanks for the tips and help so far guys!

PPs. I did not see any suggestions for Deadeye on a kihraxz... is it not worth it? (Assuming it take a missile with it, ofc)

Edited by Wookiee_Slayer

Main problem with deadeye KihrAce (kinda like that nickname ;) ) is that it's one time use, although with Failsafe you get a second use if it misses the first time at least. Overall there's just more value from other 1pt elites when you are only getting one use out of it anyways. 

Mindlinked is good if it meshes with your style, but it's not for everyone.

Bug Zapper (Z w/ feedback array) or Deadman Z's are good to make certain opponents think twice about that mini swarm of you take the blocker route.

Black Sun Strike Force

Guri (Intensity, AT, SV Mk. II, Virago, FCS)

Black Sun Ace (Vaksai, Deadeye, Harpoons, Scavenger Crane, GC, VT)

2x Black Sun Soldier (Harpoons, GC, Glitterstim)

Guri is a strong ship in any squad. At the head of this squad, she presents tremendous target difficulties. The Soldiers get their TL, and fire their Harpoons, rerolling with the lock, popping Glitter to fix focuses, and GCing to round out what should easily be a 4 hit attack. Then they function as blockers. The Ace can pull his Harpoons a few times, especially if he stays close to those Zs, who will surely die quickly.

So yeah I picked up the original StarViper expansion, and i'm ready to go all out.

So what I tend to do when I pick up a new expansion is that I try to build a list with a few things from that pack. Just to test it out and to not have the feeling I wasted money. 

So here it is: Long live the Prince!

Prince Xizor

• VI
  • StarViper MK II
  • Virago
  • Autothrusters
  • Cloaking device

ship total: 34 pts

Guri

• Bodyguard
  • StarViper MK II
  • Autothrusters

Ship total: 31 pts

Talonbane Cobra

• Vaksai
  • Predator
  • Cruise Missiles
  • Munitions Failsafe
  • Guidance Chips
  • Vectored Thrusters
  • Inertial Dampners

ship total: 33 pts

List total: 98 pts

small question though: does StarViper MK II influence the barrelrolls of Cloaking Device too? because that is messed up and weird... :P 

No, a decloak is technically its own thing.

I don't like Bodyguard. TBH, I think Cloaking Device isn't worth it. I would use FCS on Mr. Xizor - he needs some better dice mods.

I would run a more agile Cobra. PTL, EU, VT, AT, is a Black Sun Pseudo-Fenn. It's super fun.

Or agile Starvipers! Getting Push the Limit on both of them, with Fire Control System on Prince Xizor (Guri has her focus), is super fun.  There's a good deal of guessing involved, but the amount of movement you can get from those banked-barrel rolls is so nice.

//

Cruise Missiles seem right on Talonbane.  Either you guess ranges correctly, and you'll get a 5-dice missile attack, or land at Range 1, and still have a 5-dice attack.  I might go VI (or Crack Shot) and  Gliterstim instead of Predator/Inertial Dampeners, though.  It'd free up the points to get double PTL on the Starvipers, plus guarantee that Talonbane gets full reroll + focus mods on his big 5-dice attack.

34 points
Talonbane Cobra 9
Kihraxz Fighter, Unique
When attacking or defending, double the effect of your range combat bonuses. 
Vaksai (0) 
Push the Limit (2) 
Engine Upgrade (3) 
Autothrusters (1)
32 points
Guri 5
StarViper, Unique
At the start of the Combat phase, if you are at Range 1 of an enemy ship, you may assign 1 focus token to your ship 
Push the Limit (3) 
StarViper Mk. II (-3) 
Autothrusters (2)
17 points
Black Sun Soldier #1 3
Z-95 Headhunter 
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)
17 points
Black Sun Soldier #2 3
Z-95 Headhunter 
Harpoon Missiles (4)
Guidance Chips (0)

I think I might fly this one.  All of these are the Pre-painted Black sun ships.  It looks super fun just for kicks and giggles.