Blail Blerg

Should we worry about strategic adviser?

Especially for 2nd player. I’m a little surprised they released this version of the card. 

For a while MSU was the common thing. It looks like a single large might become de facto power for a while. Let’s see if this prediction comes to pass. @Baltanok, do you have any interest in tracking: 1 large ship only, 1 large with SAD or bail or pryce, and finally 2 larges? I expect 1 large with those upgrades to increase dramatically with a smaller increase in double larges. Also for activations to average 6 in the new meta. 

Still waiting for more testing. Unknown at this time if the timing change to one large equates to or surpasses the quality of two smalls. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Such a shame you can only have one. Would love to see lists with 2 or 3 large ships and 2/3 passes.

Then it would be too powerful and unnecessarily slow down games. 

45 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Such a shame you can only have one. Would love to see lists with 2 or 3 large ships and 2/3 passes.

So the solution to players padding fleets with otherwise useless flotillas to get up to 6-7 activations is to... add a generic card that lets you do that without flotillas? Or let you do both for silliness?

I dislike Strategic Advisor and what it portends for the game, so I’m very glad it is unique at the very least. I can live with that BS. 

For tracking, I would write down SAd fleets as X+Y+Z. So 2 ISD, 2 Goz Fleet with SAd would be 2+2+1

Edited by Church14

1 hour ago, Blail Blerg said:

Especially for 2nd player. I’m a little surprised they released this version of the card. 

For a while MSU was the common thing. It looks like a single large might become de facto power for a while. Let’s see if this prediction comes to pass. @Baltanok, do you have any interest in tracking: 1 large ship only, 1 large with SAD or bail or pryce, and finally 2 larges? I expect 1 large with those upgrades to increase dramatically with a smaller increase in double larges. Also for activations to average 6 in the new meta. 

Still waiting for more testing. Unknown at this time if the timing change to one large equates to or surpasses the quality of two smalls. 

Right now, I plan to track the activation manipulation upgrades separately.  I can then filter by number of larges and some combination of SAd, Bail, and Pryce.  Depending on population size, I will present results comparing X+Y to X+YS lists for common XY combos.

I'm not worried about Strategic Adviser,  because it's pretty obvious why they did it and why they settled on such a low cost for it. 

Large Ships already cost 100+ points (the Liberty Star Cruiser being the only exception, and the 4 point officer makes it an even 100).  In most cases,  this is already the cost of taking an expensive small or medium ship and a flotilla on top of it. Adviser eliminates the need to buy a flotilla just for activation advantage,  and ultimately costs about the same as that medium + flotilla combo without any of the benefits the second actual physical ship brings like additional hull points to avoid tabling, the ability to grab extra objectives, bonus upgrade slots etc. 

Edited by thecactusman17

20 hours ago, Church14 said:

I dislike Strategic Advisor and what it portends for the game, so I’m very glad it is unique at the very least. I can live with that BS. 

but its not unique  you can have one for every large ship you have.

29 minutes ago, ouzel said:

but its not unique  you can have one for every large ship you have.

At first I also assumed it was generic, because it was anti-intuitive to think that an upgrade with such a generic name could be unique, but if you check the card you'll see that it is indeed unique

I used it against a 3 flot list, and I had 2. I wish I had a different officer because it did literally nothing. After the flots and SAd had done its thing, I was no closer to being able to attack with my MC75 or Admo since my opponent was waiting on the same thing. I honestly feel every time I put SAd on a ship, I immediately want IO or Bail instead. 

58 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

I used it against a 3 flot list, and I had 2. I wish I had a different officer because it did literally nothing. After the flots and SAd had done its thing, I was no closer to being able to attack with my MC75 or Admo since my opponent was waiting on the same thing. I honestly feel every time I put SAd on a ship, I immediately want IO or Bail instead. 

Its 20 points more effective on a list going 2nd with 5 or so activations already.  6 activations always last? whooo. 

Or something crazy going first too is fine. 

40 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

No. Just no. MSU would be dead. Triple ISDs would have all the advantages of MSU with none of the down sides.

yeah. Much as i might advocate for large ships before (really I try to advocate for whatever is weaker, if one day that's mass squadrons so be it), this is a little worrying. 

MSU also by data, apparently never had much of a correlation to winning. it stayed about 50% from taken to winning. 

2 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Its 20 points more effective on a list going 2nd with 5 or so activations already.  6 activations always last? whooo. 

Or something crazy going first too is fine. 

Idk, I just felt like it was a waste. The problem is the same as all the other activation padding. Once you're engaged, you have a dead upgrade in a fiercely competitive slot. Do you really expect to use SAd at the start of round 4 when your ISD is in medium? No but you're going to wish you had a different officer now. 

I get it that it's great the round before engagement where you might get a free attack or prevent one. But it's useless round 1 since you're not in range, and it's useless after you're in range. I'd much rather give my opponent the attack on a ship instead of handicap me once the fighting starts. 

It's still going to be a prevalent upgrade, but I think Pryce and Bail are much better.

5 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

Idk, I just felt like it was a waste. The problem is the same as all the other activation padding. Once you're engaged, you have a dead upgrade in a fiercely competitive slot. Do you really expect to use SAd at the start of round 4 when your ISD is in medium? No but you're going to wish you had a different officer now. 

I get it that it's great the round before engagement where you might get a free attack or prevent one. But it's useless round 1 since you're not in range, and it's useless after you're in range. I'd much rather give my opponent the attack on a ship instead of handicap me once the fighting starts. 

It's still going to be a prevalent upgrade, but I think Pryce and Bail are much better.

I'm not sure I understand. If I let my opponents small ship with an evade trundle into close range of my ISD... that's worth it for 4 points. I've entirely negated evade at that point. And that's even assuming I don't even have black dice. 

It is a competitive slot. Which is great. SFO, IO, Kallus, Draven, Brunson. They're all good. What I like is its not combo-tastic yet. If this was Xwing, I'd be asking: What's the most abusive 2 crew combo I can get?? or Whats the most abusive crew + astromech combo in existence?

Eventually I think we'll see more two officer ships. 

52 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I'm not sure I understand. If I let my opponents small ship with an evade trundle into close range of my ISD... that's worth it for 4 points. I've entirely negated evade at that point. And that's even assuming I don't even have black dice. 

It is a competitive slot. Which is great. SFO, IO, Kallus, Draven, Brunson. They're all good. What I like is its not combo-tastic yet. If this was Xwing, I'd be asking: What's the most abusive 2 crew combo I can get?? or Whats the most abusive crew + astromech combo in existence?

Eventually I think we'll see more two officer ships. 

SAd is only effective before you're in range right? The point of activation padding is to hold off my combat ships so they don't move into range of my opponent, and to force them to move into range of my unactivated ships. So during round 1, SAd has very little use besides seeing where your opponent moves their ships which is already easy to guess because they tend to move forward. SAd gets more use in rounds 2 and 3 since it's right before engagement. Rounds 4, 5 and 6 you are rolling dice and want your quality activations at the top of the order, so flotillas and SAd are pushed to the bottom. It is during these rounds of engagement where you're going to want a different officer that can actually contribute to the fight.

If you're opponent already has 3 flotillas, SAd doesn't really net you any benefit either. 

The question with SAd is simple: If I can prevent 1 attack or gain 1 attack BEFORE the round of engagement, is it worth 4 points?

For me, the answer is no.