Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

What's the best 3 ISD list?

41 minutes ago, MandalorianMoose said:

3 Gunnery Team cymoons with Vader is 393 points. Gives you rerolls on all shots and points for Tua/bläst doors or strat advisor on flagship... is it competitive?

Probably not, but it’d be a LOT of red dice every round lol

I think this is semi legit. Unless the other guy is prepped for it... that would wreck some faces. They are a little bit glass cannon without defensive upgrades but you can mitigate that somewhat by positioning them to cover one another fairly well. 3 ISDs makes for a huge flank to try to get around. Pretty difficult.

5 minutes ago, Indomitable said:

They are tough to maneuver in concert.  No collisions occurred until a turn or two latter, but it was tough.

Also, see if you can spot the hyper spacing in Admo.

EBC6AAB3-066B-4E61-A2A2-08041C3F87AB.jpeg

I’m wondering if you can even play against squads when activated correctly at all: I was looking at using EWS to create a situation like that where the only vulnerable section is flak overlapped. But pure flak still not very effective. Ordnance pods depends on activation order. Hmm. 

Its like. I’m not sure they can maneuver enough to actually make it work. Also it still takes only 2 turns to down an ISD with max bombers. 

5 minutes ago, Indomitable said:

They are tough to maneuver in concert.  No collisions occurred until a turn or two latter, but it was tough.

Also, see if you can spot the hyper spacing in Admo.

EBC6AAB3-066B-4E61-A2A2-08041C3F87AB.jpeg

I’m wondering if you can even play against squads when activated correctly at all: I was looking at using EWS to create a situation like that where the only vulnerable section is flak overlapped. But pure flak still not very effective. Ordnance pods depends on activation order. Hmm. 

Its like. I’m not sure they can maneuver enough to actually make it work. Also it still takes only 2 turns to down an ISD with max bombers. 

As this wasn’t against Yavaris Adar triple taps I did ok, and 3x double black is pretty nasty AA.  If up against bombers you either stay away or blitz.... but with only 3 deployments it’s hard to deploy in a optimal position.

Hence while 3 ISDs are fun their not optimal.  2 upgunned 2/ decent screen or with a couple of gonzatis change the dynamic.  You do need to realize that one of them is likely dead if you engage a bomber ball directly... but if you trade an ISD for a couple carriers you can win.

2x Vader Cymoons with Spinal, Xi7 and intel officers are nasty customers.

Edited by Indomitable

16 hours ago, Darth Lupine said:

I have 4. It's gonna be epic.

2 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

400 point cap. 

110 point min ISD cost

/tries to math. 

So you used to play X-wing then? ;P

He probably means Epic format, when it comes :) 4 ISDs look good to support an SSD

Alternatively it is possible to run 4 ISDs in Campaign. Just be prepared to repair scars alot.

Edited by Muelmuel

2 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

400 point cap. 

110 point min ISD cost

/tries to math. 

So you used to play X-wing then? ;P

I meant I play 700 points plus, and I'm actually getting a fifth. Because awesome.

For tourney legit games, I'll stick to either three, or two with squadrons.

15 hours ago, MandalorianMoose said:

3 Gunnery Team cymoons with Vader is 393 points. Gives you rerolls on all shots and points for Tua/bläst doors or strat advisor on flagship... is it competitive?

Probably not, but it’d be a LOT of red dice every round lol

The only thing I can think of which hasn't been mentioned yet is 3 x ISD2s with Motti for survivability and Leading Shots for dice mitigation with 4 points remaining.

So, resurrecting this thread post FAQ. How much more viable these list got? Especially looking for the flottila tabling rule. Since heavy squadron fleets tend to use flottilas as side carriers, ignoring them and killing the juicy ships can help this concepz on paper IMO. What do you think?

19 minutes ago, Rimsen said:

So, resurrecting this thread post FAQ. How much more viable these list got? Especially looking for the flottila tabling rule. Since heavy squadron fleets tend to use flottilas as side carriers, ignoring them and killing the juicy ships can help this concepz on paper IMO. What do you think?

They are. At least they seemed to me. I won my last games with triple ISDs so maybe I am just biased.

The thing is that you have 400 points ready to kill 230 points of enemy ships so you have almost half of the work done after deployment.?

We have a local player who has favored Dual ISD2 Jerjerrod lists for a year or so and in the last 2 funsies tournaments he's run 3 ISDs.  They don't work if you want to win the tournament, but they are FUN.  What we've seen is what was described above - the 2 core problems are running into a heavy bomber list and that even with Jerjerrod you just can't get all 3 ISDs to have high damage shots against a single target.  One of them is inevitably either not shooting at the primary target at all, or getting a wimpy obstructed side shot (or something), despite great navigation options Jerjerrod gives you.  But they look awesome on the table and they're a fun challenge to fly!

8 hours ago, Ken-Obi said:

We have a local player who has favored Dual ISD2 Jerjerrod lists for a year or so and in the last 2 funsies tournaments he's run 3 ISDs.  They don't work if you want to win the tournament, but they are FUN.  What we've seen is what was described above - the 2 core problems are running into a heavy bomber list and that even with Jerjerrod you just can't get all 3 ISDs to have high damage shots against a single target.  One of them is inevitably either not shooting at the primary target at all, or getting a wimpy obstructed side shot (or something), despite great navigation options Jerjerrod gives you.  But they look awesome on the table and they're a fun challenge to fly!

Yes i notice this too. The firing solutions are not very optimal. 

Would Quad Battery help?

8 minutes ago, FrightfulCommand said:

Yes i notice this too. The firing solutions are not very optimal. 

Would Quad Battery help?

Quad battery always helps. It’s quickly become my favorite turbolaser, especially on ISD’s. If they slow down to avoid proccing it, great, they are hanging out in your front arc. If they try to speed past, you are now throwing 6 dice with a CF

Edited by MandalorianMoose

5 minutes ago, MandalorianMoose said:

Quad battery always helps. It’s quickly become my favorite turbolaser, especially on ISD’s. If they slow down to avoid proccing it, great, they are hanging out in your front arc. If they try to speed past, you are now throwing 6 dice with a CF

but does it help when they are not in your front arcs, to make those other shots better?

Should JErjerrod be taken or Vader or Admiral Motti?

6 minutes ago, FrightfulCommand said:

but does it help when they are not in your front arcs, to make those other shots better?

Those 6 dice are coming from your side arc- id say that’s a pretty powerful shot into something that most likely took some damage on the way in.

Plus if they are in one ISD’s side arc that should mean it is also in one of your other ISD’s front arcs

11 hours ago, FrightfulCommand said:

Quite hard to make triple ISD Vader work due to his high cost pushing out upgrades, but if you wanna have fun:

Vader Trimoons (400/400)
=======================
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 50)
    + Darth Vader (36)
    + Skilled First Officer (1)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + Intensify Firepower! (6)
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 7)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 7)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
Blockade Run
Contested Outpost
Solar Corona

While it may not be the best, it sure is fun.

Name: Untitled Fleet
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault: Blockade Run
Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Solar Corona

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Reinforced Blast Doors (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 121 Points

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 121 Points

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Chimaera (4)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
= 155 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 397

16 minutes ago, eViL dAvE said:

While it may not be the best, it sure is fun.

Name: Untitled Fleet
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault: Blockade Run
Defense: Contested Outpost
Navigation: Solar Corona

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 121 Points

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 121 Points

ISD Kuat Refit (112)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Chimaera (4)
• Intensify Firepower! (6)
= 155 Points

Squadrons:
= 0 Points

Total Points: 397

It’s a good idea to make it 396 with Entrapment Formation. Chimaera lets you swap it out anyway.

I found the extra damage has helped in early exchanges and then I tend to swap to EF mid game to help with  the inevitable pile up of pizza slice

Edited by eViL dAvE

21 minutes ago, eViL dAvE said:

I found the extra damage has helped in early exchanges and then I tend to swap to EF mid game to help with  the inevitable pile up of pizza slice

Just to verify we’re on the same page: you can change from EF to IF round one (and later back to EF) before you trigger your first fleet command. The only difference is a better bid.

20 hours ago, Muelmuel said:

Quite hard to make triple ISD Vader work due to his high cost pushing out upgrades, but if you wanna have fun:

Vader Trimoons (400/400)
=======================
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 50)
    + Darth Vader (36)
    + Skilled First Officer (1)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
    + Intensify Firepower! (6)
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 7)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
Cymoon 1 Refit (112 + 7)
    + Gunnery Team (7)
Blockade Run
Contested Outpost
Solar Corona

Vader Triple Cymoons don't depend on upgrades. Vader taught that in episode I.

And it is one of the truths I learnt flying them. I opened my eyes to the dark side and I embraced it.