Big Easy

Differentiating Troops --What's your plan?

8 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I feel like I lost some nerd points, because I can only picture Chiss, Pantoran, and Zabrak from the list. I may need to go re-look into the shows if that’s where they were sourced from.

Umbaran were the species that lived on a night world with advanced technology (seventh episode of fourth season of Clone Wars), Mirialan are the green skinned species with facial tattoos (a couple of Jedi characters in Clone Wars/one of them is a Jedi Master in Revenge of the Sith), and Miraluka are mostly from the Old Republic games (starting with Knights of the Old Republic 2). 

13 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Yes everything comes unpainted. You have an empty slate to do whatever you want.

Thanks.  I wonder why FFG has two different land based miniature games sets of figures.  I don't want to hijack this thread and maybe it's discussed else where.  But I'm curious if the figures are different; it just seems odd.

[Edit: Yes I have found several thread saying the scale is different.  Oh well.  If true that is really too bad.]

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

6 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

Thanks.  I wonder why FFG has two different land based miniature games sets of figures.  I don't want to hijack this thread and maybe it's discussed else where.  But I'm curious if the figures are different; it just seems odd.

[Edit: Yes I have found several thread saying the scale is different.  Oh well.  If true that is really too bad.]

Scale and (presumably) quality of plastic. The IA minis are fine for essentially a board game, but I hope the plastic for Legion is firmer and better quality. 

5 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

To keep this thread on track, yes its discussed in roughly 278 other threads lol. Just give a quick look at thread titles. You'll find them. All 278 of them. Yes, they are different. Legion is bigger, heroic scale. The poses are different. The minis are different. Its not the same game or related in any way. 

Back on subject.... Mirialan! Oh my tiny brush is going to get a workout applying thise tiny tattoos. Good call on all the near human species.

10 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

If they were the same scale just as many people would be complaining that there's no point buying legion when they already have the same scale minis elsewhere. 

Also, I'm following with interest, I need an elegant solution for my Stormtroopers. 

Edited by Sk3tch

5 minutes ago, AldousSnow said:

Someone posted this a while ago. I forget the source. Sorry for where credit is due. But... wow. So many in canon ideas. 

Yeah thanks, saw this before. I have a basic scheme set out, and the PS file to play with individual trooper markings, but if I have 3 or 4 squads of stormies on the field, all painted up to belong to the same unit battalion, then how do I tell the squad unit apart when they get mixed up? 

I would just paint the base with a Symbol or marking, or some stripes. But I kind of want clear bases. Hence why following for elegant solutions.

Edited by Sk3tch
Typos, clarity

1 minute ago, Sk3tch said:

Yeah thanks, saw this before. I have a basic scheme set out, and the PS file to play with individual trooper markings, but if I have 3 or 4 squads of stormies on the field, all painted up to belong to the same unit battalion, then how do I tell the squad apart when they get mixed up? 

I would just paint the base with a Symbol or marking, or some stripes. But I kind of want clear bases. Hence why following for elegant solutions.

So what about shoulder markings?

6 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

Well assault is more.. board game style i suppose. Legion is delving into table top skirmish/war game territory. Not to mention the miniatures an unassembled, unpainted and come in a variety of poses which apeals to another base of hobbyists players.

On topic: i might do unit crests or insignias. I like my bases to be uniform so ill keep the edges the same color.  Maybe even find some cool decals i can use for the shoulder pauldrons. I picked up a habit playing 40k kill team where i take a white color pencil and make an etch on the base edge for each kill a mini gets, ill probably do the same for legion. Adds flavor and makes each mini seem more personalized and reminds me of epic games in the past where "my lone heavy bolter sister mowed down 3 xenos scum, winning me a critical objective". This might also help me keep my units seperate, put all my veterans in the same unit making that unit stand out from other storm trooper squads. 

1 minute ago, Jabby said:

So what about shoulder markings?

It's an idea, I dismissed it originally as it didn't feel right, but now I think I can make it work. Can crack out Phostoshop later and see. 

58 minutes ago, oddeye said:

Well assault is more.. board game style i suppose. Legion is delving into table top skirmish/war game territory. Not to mention the miniatures an unassembled, unpainted and come in a variety of poses which apeals to another base of hobbyists players.

On topic: i might do unit crests or insignias. I like my bases to be uniform so ill keep the edges the same color.  Maybe even find some cool decals i can use for the shoulder pauldrons. I picked up a habit playing 40k kill team where i take a white color pencil and make an etch on the base edge for each kill a mini gets, ill probably do the same for legion. Adds flavor and makes each mini seem more personalized and reminds me of epic games in the past where "my lone heavy bolter sister mowed down 3 xenos scum, winning me a critical objective". This might also help me keep my units seperate, put all my veterans in the same unit making that unit stand out from other storm trooper squads. 

I like the idea of having a kill list

1 hour ago, oddeye said:

Yeeeeeeeeeeees. 

So far I have been at a loss as to how to differentiate my Stormtroopers. I don't want to do colorful.  I was looking at the star wars leaks Reddit page the other day and discovered that the new solo movie will in addition to adding new trooper types, also add a regular stormtrooper variant!

9JgTyWd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

This is being called a mimban stormtrooper.  They also show Han and another character in similar armor which leads me to believe that Han may desert from the imperial military

3JKZQlH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Han solo

gxgOlCP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fTobias Beckett

28 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

So far I have been at a loss as to how to differentiate my Stormtroopers. I don't want to do colorful.  I was looking at the star wars leaks Reddit page the other day and discovered that the new solo movie will in addition to adding new trooper types, also add a regular stormtrooper variant!

9JgTyWd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

This is being called a mimban stormtrooper.  They also show Han and another character in similar armor which leads me to believe that Han may desert from the imperial military

3JKZQlH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Han solo

gxgOlCP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fTobias Beckett

If Han were to be an imperial deserter, wouldn’t be too far from Legends canon that had him tossed out for saving a certain Wookiee slave.

we shall see in May.

i have been debating on how to paint my Stormtroopers.  The cannon white is what many think of but shadow troopers are one of my favorite.  I am thinking about going black and then on the back plate where the OIl is using a different color on that section to denote the squad.  Leave one black, perhaps another dark grey and a blood red on another, then match that color to the squad leaders shoulder pad. 

I like the kill count idea that was posted above, on a Clone Army that would totally fit in thematically 

My stormtroopers are going to be given a look like they have been deployed on campaign for awhile, rather than the pristine garrison/fleet deployed units. Probably use some weathering techniques that I typically reserve for vehicles, put some blaster scarring, maybe make some camo cloaks or random tid bits out of green stuff.  Might even try to figure out discreet unit patches. 

Edited by Virgil Cain

22 minutes ago, Virgil Cain said:

My stormtroopers are going to be given a look like they have been deployed on campaign for awhile, rather than the pristine garrison/fleet deployed units. Probably use some weathering techniques that I typically reserve for vehicles, put some blaster scarring, maybe make some camo cloaks or random tid bits out of green stuff.  Might even try to figure out discreet unit patches. 

This is my kind of idea. I may not go to the same level due to my experience level, but some having camo or elements a little non standard may be a fun way to go. 

The concern for distinguishing squads is not just about possibly mixing the minis, it's also about knowing which squad has which upgrade. In Runewars Miniatures, I had some part of the minis painted in a specific color (ex: the fletching of arrows for archers), and then put a sticker of that color on my unit card. But for Legion, having the specific marking on the unit leader only (not on all troopers) would be enough (for that purpose).

3 hours ago, azavander said:

i have been debating on how to paint my Stormtroopers.  The cannon white is what many think of but shadow troopers are one of my favorite.  I am thinking about going black and then on the back plate where the OIl is using a different color on that section to denote the squad.  Leave one black, perhaps another dark grey and a blood red on another, then match that color to the squad leaders shoulder pad. 

I like the kill count idea that was posted above, on a Clone Army that would totally fit in thematically 

Make sure you have a plan to denote Death Troopers as I'm sure they will be released at some point, and they typically are distinguished by their solid black armour.