Big Easy

Differentiating Troops --What's your plan?

I'm trying to decide how I want to differentiate my Rebel troop squads. Ideally I want something that is very minimal, like a patch or something rather than bright helmet colors. I want to preserve thematic continuity among the color design (not just having a green color squad and a brown color squad--they should be two squads of a single unit) while still giving each one something unique that is at least somewhat easy to spot at a glance. Any ideas? 

This is a lot harder for Imperials who want to keep stormtroopers as close to canon as possible. 

In warmachine I got some small colored loom bands, then I could pull out one color to represent each squad and when the game is over I could pull the loom bands off. I'm thinking for legion I'll probably do some aurebesh writing on the bases.

I always colour the rim of my bases.

With my Imperial Guard army (40k), I have about 30 squads of infantry, so colours and (when it was relevant) roman numeral notations on the bases; for Imperial Assault, coloured rims and each squad model has I, II, and (if required) III on the base.

IF I do Legion, probably squad based coloured rims, unless there is a reason for each model to be numbered, I'd leave the numbers off.

2 hours ago, Big Easy said:

I'm trying to decide how I want to differentiate my Rebel troop squads. Ideally I want something that is very minimal, like a patch or something rather than bright helmet colors. I want to preserve thematic continuity among the color design (not just having a green color squad and a brown color squad--they should be two squads of a single unit) while still giving each one something unique that is at least somewhat easy to spot at a glance. Any ideas? 

This is a lot harder for Imperials who want to keep stormtroopers as close to canon as possible. 

I don't really see any reason to try to differentiate them. Squad composition will vary from list to list; you won't be fielding the same group every time. Unless we see hard rules about squad cohesion and/or combining & reforming squads, I don't see any reason to worry about it. Squad integrity will take care of itself on the table.

If you're looking for gritty realism, real-world armies almost never have differentiation in their duty uniforms below the brigade level.

I am considering on using different WW2 uniform colors on the Rebel squads, painting one with say British uniform colors, another with Soviet, and a third with American, or potentially different German camo patterns on the squad leader.

For the Stormtroopers, I will probably put some accent color somewhere. Then again, I'm apparently weird and not planning on going 100% movie accurate. (I'll always leave the store with my own minis at least! :lol:) Worst case the base.

I will use tiny details to set each unit apart. My core set rebels will have a common climate camo, but all be slightly different, as they are not as uniform as the Empire. Han, Luke, and Leia all had different Endor camo. 

For my 3 stormtrooper units, 1 will be classic white. 1 will have red stripe details. And the last unit will be painted as Shadow Troopers. Death Troopers will undoubtedly make their way in the game. And since regular stormtroopers and shadow troopers have identical armor outside color, i know they'll probably never make it to this game. 

Just for my own understanding - is the concern that your units will be too close to one another and you may bring the incorrect number of minis along with a unit leader?

i suppose it’s possible. Maybe I need to figure out something as well. I know just for my own fun I was going to paint the epaulet on my stormie leaders different colors. But that’s not individual troops and the rebels need some ideas too. 

15 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Just for my own understanding - is the concern that your units will be too close to one another and you may bring the incorrect number of minis along with a unit leader?

i suppose it’s possible. Maybe I need to figure out something as well. I know just for my own fun I was going to paint the epaulet on my stormie leaders different colors. But that’s not individual troops and the rebels need some ideas too. 

For me, yes. If every stormtrooper looks the same and you get 2 or 3 units near each other... chaos. Some kind of mark, even on the bottom of the base is helpful. I just like trying different paintjobs.

7 hours ago, DelGriffen said:

It’s worth thinking about, if you get two squads in hand to hand they can get mixed up pretty quick. I always used shoulder insignia, or knee pads

I don't really think that's a problem because of they way units are moved. You only need to place the right number of the right type of troops in cohesion with your leader. If it is TK 462 or TK 452 doesn't really matter since they are identical for game purposes.

1 hour ago, LennoxPoodle said:

I don't really think that's a problem because of they way units are moved. You only need to place the right number of the right type of troops in cohesion with your leader. If it is TK 462 or TK 452 doesn't really matter since they are identical for game purposes.

It does if you have two squads of different sizes, and move an extra trooper with the squad that is supposed to be smaller. Even if you go "oops" and put the model back, if it was the leading model of the other squad, you might accidently change the range to the non-moving squad.

Edited by Caimheul1313

I was thinking about trying to make some of the rebel models be painted as aliens instead of humans. There are plenty of alien species in Star Wars that are basically just humans with different colored faces. That way they look different, but aren't marked in any 4th wall breaking fashion.

Edit: I also imagine it wouldn't be hard to make horns for zabraks or lekku for twileks out of green stuff or clay. 

Edited by Omnustechni

6 hours ago, Jabby said:

For my stormies i will have shoulder pads that correspond with the squad leader’s pauldron. For the rebels I ended up with having a small vertical stripe down the helmet ring

I like your idea for the stormtroopers. May have to do something similar for them. Subtle enough that it works, and consistent for fast verification.

43 minutes ago, Omnustechni said:

I was thinking about trying to make some of the rebel models be painted as aliens instead of humans. There are plenty of alien species in Star Wars that are basically just humans with different colored faces. That way they look different, but aren't marked in any 4th wall breaking fashion. 

For some reason as soon as I read this I envisioned a Chiss unit and was very unsure about rebel Chiss. I know there’s other examples. 

2 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I like your idea for the stormtroopers. May have to do something similar for them. Subtle enough that it works, and consistent for fast verification.

For some reason as soon as I read this I envisioned a Chiss unit and was very unsure about rebel Chiss. I know there’s other examples. 

In Canon, probably not so much for Chiss with the Rebels? In your squad who knows! Maybe it's a disgraced Chiss warrior who was banished, or has been dispatched as part of a deep cover operation to analyze the Rebel's fighting style, so that should they win, the Chiss will have more information about them. It is your squad, makeup your own mental story for it! 

Other options: Miraluka (just greenstuff a visor over their eyes, admittedly also on the rare side presumably), Mirialan, Umbaran, Pantoran, and Zabrak from the near human article on Wookieepedia. 

17 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

In Canon, probably not so much for Chiss with the Rebels? In your squad who knows! Maybe it's a disgraced Chiss warrior who was banished, or has been dispatched as part of a deep cover operation to analyze the Rebel's fighting style, so that should they win, the Chiss will have more information about them. It is your squad, makeup your own mental story for it! 

Other options: Miraluka (just greenstuff a visor over their eyes, admittedly also on the rare side presumably), Mirialan, Umbaran, Pantoran, and Zabrak from the near human article on Wookieepedia. 

I feel like I lost some nerd points, because I can only picture Chiss, Pantoran, and Zabrak from the list. I may need to go re-look into the shows if that’s where they were sourced from.

I’ve got a pretty good starting point for my Imperial unit lore. I need to start drafting up something for the Rebels half. My plan has been core set Rebels for small games plus flesh out my imperial faction for full games, and just loan each other units if we need for games. I may want to pick up a t47 and an extra ATRT though. Hmm... 

Rebels would be easy to differentiate even on the model. A slight color flash somewhere on the back, maybe a small stripe on the back of the hat kind of like cat eyes the army uses.

Stormies are a bit more difficult since they do all look the same. Thinking just a vertical color stripe on the back of the base.

Edited by Col. Dash