Ronu

That upgrade others don’t use but you do.

So fun topic here. There are some pretty obvious and widely used upgrades. However, do you have one you go to that others seem to overlook or undervalue?  What is that upgrade for you?

For me more than anything is Hyperwave Comm Scanner.

So underutilized for a number of reasons. The fist is the limited ships that can equip them. Either First Order or Resistance so a whopping 6 total. T-70, Resistance Bomber, Upsilon Shuttle, TIE F/O, S/F, and Silencer. @jmswood was kind enough to point out the mighty Quadjumper. Yeah Scum can play too I suppose.

I think it’s the effects and effectiveness that gets many off guard. Being allowed to determine your deployment point can make a world of difference. A squad all deployed at PS 12 can actually give you options and force an opponent to think or adjust their strategy right from the get go. Even just waiting until 6 to be closer to your aces can again let you see a few of the lower PS ships to decide how you want to approach. Did this in conjunction with a Dormitz one afternoon and a mini swarm of TIE F/O’s. Being in his face with a huge token stack and plopping down after everything else got looks lots of looks.

Then there is the secdary effect, free tokens. Charge up those sweet, Advanced Optics or Comm Relay’s, giving your other ships an early token stack and permission to go aggressively into a fight. This also benefits other ships as well. Rey gets a Token to bank right away. Large ships could conceivably make use of an early Swarm leader or just an Evade to mitigate damage if they go fast to get into the fray. 

The other thing is they are only 1 point. If you have the point(s) available try them when you can. Not much like seeing an early token stack against some Alpha strike wanting to ruin your day. 

Edited by Ronu

1 minute ago, Salsashark said:

For me it's the Pivot Wing title. I feel like I am the only one who runs U-Wings.

It’s free! Just silly not to run it. Plus an extra Evade dice!

3 minutes ago, Innese said:

I was running Genius on Kavil w/ Proton Bombs & Engine Upgrade back before he was cool.

That had interesting results I would expect 

Hmm, that's a good one. I guess my automatic response has to be BB-8/PTL POE OR GTFO!!!

But seriously, I ran Proton Bombs on TIE Bombers before Extra Munitions came out. So I'm like a total bomb hipster I guess. 

I'm still convinced TIE/D is better than TIE/x7. 

I run GUNBOATS with Mangler Cannons. 

I'm half convinced Eaden Vrill is the best YT-2400 pilot. 

And a while back I ran a list with Turr Phennir, Whisper, and Tetran Cowall. And won. 

Saboteur! Stay on Target! Cikatro Vizago! I love trying to find interesting uses for underused upgrades. Most of the time they end up being one trick ponies but when you get them to work, it's such a great moment. My brother and I play only jank at the house but I have taken Moff Jerjerod to a tournament. It's always fun seeing people's faces when you bring a banana to a gun fight.

I've been big into Accuracy Corrector these days, particularly on TIE/SF.  If you're only tossing 3 dice and not 4 dice attacks, and using your actions for defense or position, it actually does more damage over time than Fire Control System.  Once you start spending focus offensively, or getting into range 1 a bunch without shooting back/front, FCS will do more damage.  However, AccC allows easy use of defensive focus and barrel rolls (and red moves) without loss of offense.

7 minutes ago, SlotcarDiehard said:

Saboteur! Stay on Target! Cikatro Vizago! I love trying to find interesting uses for underused upgrades. Most of the time they end up being one trick ponies but when you get them to work, it's such a great moment. My brother and I play only jank at the house but I have taken Moff Jerjerod to a tournament. It's always fun seeing people's faces when you bring a banana to a gun fight.

Okay admittedly, Stay on Target Nien Numb and Patter analyzer is amazing. 

However Sabotuer you say? Ooh more details here. Any actual Success?

45 minutes ago, MacchuWA said:

Expert Handling. It's my go to first EPT whenever I fly a large ship. Which, admittedly, I don't do all that often. But when I do, there's at least a 50/50 chance they'll be barrel rolling. 

This. Very underrated and crazy powerful on certain ships. I lost against my wife last game and her arc-dodging Decimator. Hahaha

I am all about reinforced Deflectors or sensor Jammer on my Ghost. 

@Ronu it's so dumb and so much fun:

Captain Oicunn — VT-49 Decimator

Predator 3
Saboteur 2
BoShek 2
Intelligence Agent 1
Engine Upgrade 4
Dauntless 2
Ship Total: 56

"Wampa" — TIE Fighter 14
Ship Total: 14

Lieutenant Karsabi — Alpha-class Star Wing 24
Wired 1
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Long-Range Scanners 0
XG-1 Assault Configuration 1
Ship Total: 30

Well I was going to say Expert Handling because nobody in my area uses it except for me, but this will be the third call for EH so maybe its more popular in other areas?

I will add to this though; the combo of Expert Handling and Ezra Bridger crew. Its great to get some level of dice modification when you really need to take the EH barrel roll and subsequent stress.