imzeke21

Writing on hands for tournaments?

13 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

Taking Notes and Outside Material

Players cannot take notes or reference outside material or information during a tournament round.

READ THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE... It starts with the word "HOWEVER."

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, kris40k said:

You could take a picture of Daisy Ridley, write "Did you remember me?" and leave it there next to you as a "token", just make sure your opponent understands what it is on the table for. Tape the picture to the back of you hand, its still a token. Getting really creepy at that point, but still a token. 

I always have a picture of Daisy Ridley Taped to my non-dominant hand....for reasons you don't need to know about.

Also, I understand the rules, But I do think the reminders on hands do a lot more good in terms of game pace, than they do harm in terms of legality. Other people have stated that people will look over every card before or after a phase, and after movements. IMO I think the notes on hands Falls under open information available to all people and just marked with a token, the token being the writing on their hand.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:39 PM, kris40k said:

You could take a picture of Daisy Ridley, write "Did you remember me?" and leave it there next to you as a "token", just make sure your opponent understands what it is on the table for. Tape the picture to the back of you hand, its still a token. Getting really creepy at that point, but still a token. 

did you know if you tape Daisy Ridley to your hand you can hear her scream?

its terrible sportsmanship to say this is a problem assuming its just a keyword or something.  now if someone has maneuvers mapped out or some crazy temporary tatoo of a flight plan, thats not cool.

a lot of people play with "reminder tokens" anyway, which personaly I think are great because they also remind the opponent what to watch out forand make double-tapping an ability by accident(or on purpose to cheat) less likely.  something like sensor jammer that is both optional and has multiple potential triggers is reasonable to want to keep track of

Just a thought, what if I paint the reminders as nose-art on my ship? Thinking specifically of this one, from Madeline of Lightcraft's Miniature Repaint Thread:

olnvS70.jpg

What would happen? Would FFG ban custom-painted ships? How upset would that make people?!?

Edited by Kieransi

On 31.1.2018 at 11:16 PM, ficklegreendice said:

pretty sure the intent behind disallowing note taking and referencing was to curb potential slow play

one's hands seem like they're pretty easy to access during a timed environment, so s'all good right?

Thats why I'm all for chess clocks in tournaments. 1-2 Minuten per ship on the table. After all this should be a quick and brutal dogfight.

17 hours ago, Mace Windu said:

I think 'explicitly allowed' is a stretch, the last part of that section goes on to say:

"The marshal is responsible for determining the legality of an indicator and its reasonable usage during a match if objected to by its owner’s opponent."

So if an opponent is uncomfortable with the nature of the none-regulation token they can ask for a judge to clarify the legality of said token. 

In the case of Palp and 3PO using a token to denote that the ability has been used is probably fine as this is what would be classified as "Open or derived information" however if a player were to put one of these tokens on the board next to their focus token as a reminder to use the ability that's where it get murky in terms of the rules.

This is because it is impossible for the rules to weigh in on every possible "token" a player might bring, and therefore the TO needs to have leway to make judgement calls and say some things are not allowed. For instance:

il_570xN.1405101824_bx5g.jpg

Here we have some lovely reminder tokens by the awesome Curled Paw Creatives which includes Palp, C-3PO, and various astros, like R2-D2 and others. Roughly about the size of a Focus, Evade, and similar token, they are unobtrusive, stylish, and helpful reminders. Place the R2 token by your ship carrying R2-D2, and whenever you maneuver it, and move your token stack, there is your reminder. Just make sure your opponent knows what it represents, and don't cover up anything important with it, and you are perfectly within the Rules As Written under the Token section of the tournament rules.

dd1b5e4b-62c6-4da7-a145-234016598fec.jpg

This is a BB-8 "Big Fig"

I own one. Well, technically, its my wife's. If I were to bring this and plop it onto the table next to my Poe mini as a reminder token to use BB-8, my opponent would be well within their right to call a Judge who would correctly tell me to get that the heck off the mat. That the TO is allowed to make these judgement calls is required, because otherwise FFG would have to write out a ridiculous amount of possible edge cases to be covered. Instead, they rightly left it to TO common sense.

So, what we have seen here, is that using 3rd party items as reminders is well within the written tournament rules. What is important, is that they are within common sense, and do not negatively impact your opponent by covering information or otherwise impacting the flow of the game.

Writing "R2-D2" on the back of your hand does not negatively impact the flow of the game, does not hide information from your opponent, is easily understood by them, and falls well within the common sense of the TO.

Edited by kris40k

11 hours ago, Mynock Delta said:

Perfectly legal.  You can have maneuver charts for ALL the ships.

I have a set of sheets that are printed full page color that have every ship's maneuver chart that I use all the time.  I even share them with my opponent, if they ask to see it.   

What on Earth is hidden material/resources in this game other than your dial when it's facing down?  Why does that rule even exist?

EDIT: Squad list is known before you start playing.

Edited by Superstrength79

24 minutes ago, RogueLeader42 said:

How about lit bases that you Switch on as reminder?

seems like a slow down and high potential for bumping/knocking things over, but if you could quicly do it without messing things up? i guess

i think the ryles should state that if your ship has lights and gets ionized, you have to turn them off until you shed the ion token.

no power, no lights! lol

59 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

seems like a slow down and high potential for bumping/knocking things over, but if you could quicly do it without messing things up? i guess

i think the ryles should state that if your ship has lights and gets ionized, you have to turn them off until you shed the ion token.

no power, no lights! lol

what if my light up bases were app controlled? and I used the dice app?

26 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

I wouldnt be okay with that, simply because its a board game played with physical components.

You seem to think you've stated premises leading to a conclusion, but you haven't.  Is there a connection between those clauses that you forgot to include?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

You seem to think you've stated premises leading to a conclusion, but you haven't.  Is there a connection between those clauses that you forgot to include?

I was thinking the same thing....

49 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

my point was clear. 3rd party digital components dont belong in a board game, especially when they arent available to everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

my point was clear. 3rd party digital components dont belong in a board game, especially when they arent available to everyone. 

I don't really care about this particular digression but just wanted to point out the dice app is 1st party.

5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

no power, no lights! lol

Magnetic switches are a thing.

If you put a magnet into a focus token for example. So you have a ship that has some synergy with focus. You attach the token to the base, the switch reacts and lights up the base. Instant reminder.

Gary Ball has made a great tutorial about it. I have modded Corran to light up red when assigned a weapon disabled token and a TIE Phantom to light up blue when cloaked.

Edited by RogueLeader42