GreenDragoon

The Elephant in the Room: how do you beat Kanan Fenn?

The Gonzales Version is the strongest. 

It has a much higher Damageoutput then Kanan

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!275:27,213,2:-1:-1:;158:44,135,-1,-1,-1,165:25:3:;162:-1,167:26:-1:&sn=Not Funny!&obs=

Its stronger than Dengaroo.

Ezra /Maul gives you 4 Focusmod for offens in 1 Round + at least 2 Maulrerolls.  NO Actions needed. (so blocking is useless)

That does against almost anything:

4-6 hits in 1 Round

8-12 hits in 2 Rounds.

IF ...you have killed Fenn by that time,

(What you need or you will do no damage to VCX)

you will have lost half of your squad.

Than you still have to deal with 4-6 hits per round,

while you chew through 16 sennsorjammer / evadeaction protected hitpoints 

(aka dont spend Focus on defence or no damage....wait than you die anyway).

After watching the Top 4 System Open i started headsyms for 2 days.

What doesnt help.

Arcdodger  vs    PS 11 coordinate into EU-boost  -> good Luck

Tokenstack   vs   4 fullymodified TLT  + Hotcop   -> nope

Regen   vs   4-6 Hits by VCX only   -> sorry

Stress   vs   Maul reducing 2 Stress per Round (without using green)  -> no hope here

That squad isnt good

.....its broken

...and soon alot of people will hate it.

What maybe helps:  LOTS of firepower + Lots of HP

- 4 Wookies + Commandos   -> good answer, the reinforce is useless, but the commandos help vs Hotshot

downside -> boring

Right know it feels like the great renaisance of

Dengaroo vs Defender

Edited by Yodas Mum

2 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

So y'all saying swarms are coming back?

Nope, we're saying a hard counter has a hard counter.  Is it really a surprise that it is in turn hard countered?  Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-F'n-Spock.

Only answer I have is to destroy Fenn ASAP. This list preys on 2 ship lists because of how easy it is to lock out modifications. I've had decent success with my Vader/QD/Gunboat list against Ghost/Fenn. All three ships have a missile, so even if one or two of them get locked out, at least one will be able to get a missile off to kill Fenn. Once Fenn is down, the list falls apart.

Edited by defkhan1

Timewalk Asajj shouldn't do that bad against it when played right. Get that mobile arc and ability to go off to stress Rebel Fenn to not allow his ability if you have tokens, if not and used Glitterstim, then stress out the VCX if it has Maul to turn him off for the first round of shooting. Just make sure the rest of the list along side Timewalk Asajj doesn't just fall flat. 

Edited by RStan

2 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

Now Dash at the other hand can deal still reliable damage and avoid at least some of the TLT shots. 

Dash is worthless. You need passive mods and lots of them. All Dash has is lone wolf which doesn’t do enough.

One example of a list that could beat it is Rey Lowhhrick if the both have expertise. Usually you want to burn Fenn down as quick as you can, but with this list, you can just completely ignore him. Just kill the ghost and then mop up. 

3 minutes ago, tortugatron said:

One example of a list that could beat it is Rey Lowhhrick if the both have expertise. Usually you want to burn Fenn down as quick as you can, but with this list, you can just completely ignore him. Just kill the ghost and then mop up. 

Agreed, I've been looking at a list like this Rey Lowriding and pick last crew of choice on Lowhhrick. I just don't have the reps with a Rey to fly it right now. Will be testing in the near future. 

Edited by RStan

13 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Just as a comment inbetween: I love how the opinions are different between many of you. Shows how the game is not solved or very simple and obvious.

There are discussions to be had, and that‘s interesting and awesome!

YOU and YOUR Producer have created this Monster.

YOU HAVE DESTROYED XWING.....FOREVER.

just kidding ,

but this Card-Combo is the perfect storm.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!275:27,213,2:-1:-1:;158:44,135,-1,-1,-1,165:25:3:;162:-1,167:26:-1:&sn=Not Funny!&obs=

It is inevitably that the more cards come in,

their will be a broken combo.

FFG needs to start cycling cards out like in MTG or somhow deal with this core problem.

Anyways...

The Jeff-Berling-Memory-Broken-Combo-Award of the season

goes to

.....Mynocks

Edited by Yodas Mum

45 minutes ago, tortugatron said:

Dash is worthless. You need passive mods and lots of them. All Dash has is lone wolf which doesn’t do enough.

Your advice seems to be focused on a single list, while ignoring the complete rest of the meta. Dude. 
4 dice are 4 dice. Out Damaging the 4 TLT shots is a solid base, now you just need to nuke Fenn with something else, and we have plenty of options for that. 

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I think stress?  If Fenn is double-stressed, he can't coordinate nor use his ability next turn. 

By the same token, ion as well. It shuts down Fenn's ability because if he uses it he won't be able to clear the stress next turn.

Stress (if you can) and kill Fenn ASAP. The Ghost dies pretty quicky without the support of Fenn. If you play a trajectory Nym, Thermals are the best thing to shut Fenn down. Otherwise regular stress control or just putting in the attacks should suffice.

3 minutes ago, Boba Rick said:

What I'm wording is who do you try to kill first?  Ghost or Fenn?

Fenn.

Without him, the Ghost basically loses the Sensor Jammer and takes damage faster. It also loses the second action, meaning that it will lose Kanan‘s ability or an evade or the boost to arcdodge you.

All of these result in the Ghost taking more damage.

16 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Your advice seems to be focused on a single list, while ignoring the complete rest of the meta. Dude. 
4 dice are 4 dice. Out Damaging the 4 TLT shots is a solid base, now you just need to nuke Fenn with something else, and we have plenty of options for that. 

Have you even played Dash vs a Kanan Fenn?  4 dice turns out to not be as much as you think. I guess you could just roll natties every time...

I’m sure there is more than 1 list that has a bunch of passive mods. I used Rey Lowhhrick as an example because it finished 7th in Swiss at the 140 person regional in MN that I was at. 

1 hour ago, hawk32 said:

Been wanting to test something similar...

This was my list for the Austin, TX regional.  Ended the day 5 - 1 and 11th out of 87.  I did however then lose my top 16 cut game, but considering this was my first ever regional tournament and I was going into it being happy if I ended the day 3 - 3.  I can say it was an AWESOME birthday! 

Maybe something like this?

ReyLow (100/100)

Rey + Expertise + Kanan Jarrus + Finn + Millennium Falcon (TFA) + Engine Upgrade (62)

Lowhhrick + Expertise + Tactician + Jan Ors + Vectored Thrusters (38)

If you squint just right, Jan starts to look kinda like the Falcon's evade title which means Fenn's HotCop just sits there and plays with the radio.

Not terrible againt the rest of the meta either.

Expertise fat Rey wrecks it pretty well for what we've played. She doesn't care about the SJ, HotCop, or Fenn's ability at all and between 3PO, the evade, and defensive rerolls will managed to dodge a fair number of the TLT shots enabling you to win the damage race. Plus bumping actually works since the Ghost can't coordinate boost over a large base which gives you a free shot at Fenn that turn.

Having said that I haven't played or played against the Ezra crew version which seems to have a much much higher chance of getting reliable 3 hit TLT shots and the only reason Rey wins the matchup is because she's expected to dodge a lot of 1-2 hit TLT shots

Good thread title. I've been thinking about this a lot recently. For fun I came up with what is probably a hard counter, but it does terrible against everything else. 

Safari Disco Party (100)

• Bossk + A Score To Settle + Boba + Greedo (!) + 4-Lom + Burnout Slam
  • Asajj + Mindlink + Latts + Glitter + Glitter + Countermeasures
  • Inaldra + Mindlink + Light Scyk Title

One of the challenges with proc'ing Boba is to claw through all those shields and defense mods that Kanan brings. Greedo and A Score to Settle get you there on the first round of fire. 

Lists like this make me wish that the hanger bay format (bring two lists, choose one) was a standard.