Sign in to follow this  
DarkTrooperZero

List Building & 800 Points

So thought I would head over to Tabletop Admiral and build a 800 point list and boy was I shocked, 800 points is not much.

Have no idea at this early stage what is and isn't good etc so just made this quick list.

Vader, Saber Throw, Force Choke (215)

Stormtroopers, Trooper, DLT-19, Impact Grenades (84)

Stormtroopers, Trooper, DLT-19, Impact Grenades (84)

Stormtroopers, Trooper, DLT-19 (79)

Speeder Bikes, Long-range coms (100)

AT-ST, Mortar, 88 Blaster (235)

Total = 797/800.

That to me feels like a starter army and not the full thing. Has HQ, min troops, a fast unit and a heavy unit.

Not much wiggle room there for extra squads and what nots and kinda means if you want too many toys you pretty much have no vader or upgrades.

I think vader AND AT-ST is a mistake personally, it really eats into what you can take. Over half the points in 2 models is just painful.

But as you said....its basically toys OR bodies, not both. There will be hard decisions to make in list building for anyone used to larger model count games for sure!

Personally i'm used to Infinity, and this feels like i can take SO MANY THINGS....

1 hour ago, DarkTrooperZero said:

So thought I would head over to Tabletop Admiral and build a 800 point list and boy was I shocked, 800 points is not much.

Have no idea at this early stage what is and isn't good etc so just made this quick list.

That to me feels like a starter army and not the full thing. Has HQ, min troops, a fast unit and a heavy unit.

Not much wiggle room there for extra squads and what nots and kinda means if you want too many toys you pretty much have no vader or upgrades.

I agreed with you and I'm looking at buying the same figures playing with different mods. From a $$ perspective gets a tourny list up and running asap (Core, Storm troopers, and AT-ST) I think it will be fun to play , and I figured that as more commanders ect are released I can drop Vader and add more figures.

I'm kind of hoping for Krenic and Death Troopers. And I would like to see Han and Chewie from the other side!!

4 hours ago, Extropia said:

I think vader AND AT-ST is a mistake personally, it really eats into what you can take. Over half the points in 2 models is just painful.

I tend to agree, although if you know you want an ATST in the future, it makes it hard to buy the extra forces to tide you over until Veers gets here. Then again, with Veers lower cost you’ll get to fit more units in anyway.

My first stab at a squad, with the full disclaimer of not having seen anything but the GenCon demos and trying to read the preview articles.

Darth Vader - battle meditation, saber throw, force reflexes - 235

Stormtroopers - DLT, extra trooper, targeting scopes - 85

Stormtroopers - DLT, extra trooper, targeting scopes - 85

Stormtroopers - Extra troop - 55

speeder bike naked - 90

ATST - Weiss, every hardpoint - 250

The idea is Vader gains action economy with the reflexes (always tanked up and can refresh it free every turn), meditation solves any range issues, and saber throw makes him an actual threat. He denies area out of fear of what he could do, and punishes stuff that comes his way.

the speeder unit can harass the enemy. It doesn’t take objectives, though if legal that’d be fun for a hit and run of an objective away from everyone.

ATST unleashes **** on the area I need free of hostiles the most. Troopers support it and secure objectives. Weiss is deployed at maximum effect when everything can be triggered.

The only merit of my list is the fact it only requires a core set, an ATsT and an extra stormie. In actuality i suspect extra troopers and less heavy is the way to go with Vader. But with Veers I want that walker....

4 hours ago, Extropia said:

But as you said....its basically toys OR bodies, not both. There will be hard decisions to make in list building for anyone used to larger model count games for sure!

Personally i'm used to Infinity, and this feels like i can take SO MANY THINGS....

I've been playing Bolt Action, so this is very familiar to me. Take a tank for roughly 1/4 of your army's points, or take a whole bunch more infantry. Of course, the squad size variance is much greater in BA.

Me and my group are going to play at 1,000 since we just play casually.  800 points just isn’t enough points to feel like armies.  Same problem armada has at 400 points.  We play armada at 700 points and it feels like you have a fleet. 400 points doesn’t give you that feeling in armada and I doubt 800 will give that feeling in legion.  

10 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Me and my group are going to play at 1,000 since we just play casually.  800 points just isn’t enough points to feel like armies.  Same problem armada has at 400 points.  We play armada at 700 points and it feels like you have a fleet. 400 points doesn’t give you that feeling in armada and I doubt 800 will give that feeling in legion.  

FFG had mentioned previously that the rules will have guidelines for composition of other sizes of armies. 800 will be the organized play size, though.

And as always, you do your thing if you're having fun with it.

While I wouldn't guarantee it, keep in mind that Armada started at 300 points until W2 dropped.  No one wants to have to buy 4 VSDs just to realize you're never going to run them again, thus the smaller initial point cost.  I could see Legion doing the same type of thing - start at 800pts and then once they determine enough stuff has been released, increase OP to 1000pts.

13 minutes ago, Khyros said:

While I wouldn't guarantee it, keep in mind that Armada started at 300 points until W2 dropped.  No one wants to have to buy 4 VSDs just to realize you're never going to run them again, thus the smaller initial point cost.  I could see Legion doing the same type of thing - start at 800pts and then once they determine enough stuff has been released, increase OP to 1000pts.

Except 800 can be a bit of a stretch. I guess we'll see what the rulebook says, apparently it has suggestions for play at different point values.

I don't expect to see organized play really taking off until after maybe the releases after Leia/Fleet troops, partially as the Special Forces slot still doesn't have any units for it. 

Wow I just came to the opposite conclusion!  I put together a list on table top admiral with Leia with all upgrades, 2x rebel troopers with all upgrades, 2x fleet troopers with all upgrades, 1 at-rt with rotary cannon and long range commlink and t-47 with wedge, ground buzzer and comms jammer.  Still came out under 800.

21 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Wow I just came to the opposite conclusion!  I put together a list on table top admiral with Leia with all upgrades, 2x rebel troopers with all upgrades, 2x fleet troopers with all upgrades, 1 at-rt with rotary cannon and long range commlink and t-47 with wedge, ground buzzer and comms jammer.  Still came out under 800.

Rebel units are consistently cheaper than their imperial counterparts it seems. I think it’ll get better once Veers is available and maybe when there are solid choices that deal with the t47 that aren’t ATST 

5 hours ago, Khyros said:

I second this, I fully expect official pts limit to increase with a future wave, probably the next batch of vehicles to be released. 800 is an odd number to rest on, whereas 1000 has a nice ring to it.

19 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I've mentioned several times about rebel point effeciency for a while though. Across an army they are going to feel more comfortable for everyting we have revealed, although we still have to let the dust settle on tactics for the objectives we have and how much vaders unbreakable unit bubble is effective/worth

Edited by Ralgon

17 hours ago, Funk Fu master said:

I second this, I fully expect official pts limit to increase with a future wave, probably the next batch of vehicles to be released. 800 is an odd number to rest on, whereas 1000 has a nice ring to it.

400 points is an odd number to rest on when 500 is right there, but that's where Armada sits still. 

At least Legion has twice as many points as Armada! :P

This 800pnt limit seems to be a suggestion. Even in organized play this can change as has been suggested here. Take X-Wing. Many stores hold tourneys with higher points than 300. I could definitely see this happening with Legion. It would be longer play but more fun. This has happened with other games as well. When it comes down to it the points are up to the store holding the tourney to some degree unless its a FFG sanctioned event. Even then I think FFG will come to realize 800pnts is just not enough for effective army options. How boring would it be if everyone played the same things? Even from a marketing standpoint it would make sense to up the points. The more points you can play the more options you have. The more options you have the more $ you spend. Otherwise why spend the $ on expansions you cant play?

So far I like 800 points.  It allows for tough choices to be made, and prevents kitchen sink armies.  

I want to try this tomorrow at our local group: 

796/800

Darth Vader [200]
Force Choke [5]
Force Reflexes [15]
Saber Throw [10]

Stormtroopers [44]
HH-12 Stormtrooper [34]

Stormtroopers [44]
HH-12 Stormtrooper [34]

Stormtroopers [44]
Stormtrooper [11]

Stormtroopers [44]
Stormtrooper [11]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

Back To Builder

10 minutes ago, ImperialOfficer said:

So far I like 800 points.  It allows for tough choices to be made, and prevents kitchen sink armies.  

I want to try this tomorrow at our local group: 

796/800

Darth Vader [200]
Force Choke [5]
Force Reflexes [15]
Saber Throw [10]

Stormtroopers [44]
HH-12 Stormtrooper [34]

Stormtroopers [44]
HH-12 Stormtrooper [34]

Stormtroopers [44]
Stormtrooper [11]

Stormtroopers [44]
Stormtrooper [11]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

74-Z Speeder Bikes [90]
Long-Range Comlink [10]

Back To Builder

Seems to be a good general build.

2 minutes ago, Thornne said:

Seems to be a good general build.

Sometimes simplicity is nice, at least for now while learning to get the game under control.  

I like the idea of moving using Aim, and then Standby when you have the trooper swarms, although the AT-ST using mortars would be a pain.  

I want to see if 3 sets of bikes can bring down the speeder or walker with any sense of efficiency.