Posted (edited)
On 18/04/2018 at 6:09 AM, WillemTCG said:

What sizes are those bases ? and how many you need of each ? (all expansions)

I'll have to get back to you on the exact numbers.

But for what I use: I only use clear round 25mm and 50mm. Even the Dunwich Horror was able to be placed on a 50mm base by using a hairdryer to heat the three grounded legs and reshape its stance. There's been no need for any other sizes. A lot of creatures on Medium bases simply fit well on 25mm too.

Edited by Phoenix_FFG
50mm for Dunwich Horr, not 25mm! :P

3 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

I'll have to get back to you on the exact numbers.

But for what I use: I only use clear round 25mm and 50mm. Even the Dunwich Horror was able to be placed on a 25mm base by using a hairdryer to heat the three grounded legs and reshape its stance. There's been no need for any other sizes. A lot of creatures on Medium bases simply fit well on 25mm too.

Thanks mate i want to do the same looks sooooo much better then those black slabs. Thanks !

11 hours ago, WillemTCG said:

Thanks mate i want to do the same looks sooooo much better then those black slabs. Thanks !

For every Mansions of Madness miniature, 

25mm: x 79 (47 Monsters + 32 Investigators).

50mm: x13 (including the Dunwich Horror that has a very wide leg-span, just use heat to reshape his 3 'standing' legs).

I've seen a lot of articles using 3 and 4 different sizes, but I've found I can just use 2. Taking up as little space on the board is what I'm after. Some people have not based some of the larger figures at all, which works, but I don't want the miniatures scratching/denting the cardboard tiles.

I use the 1.5mm high bases (from Litko), as the 3mm high bases really create an unwanted 'floating' look.

I recommend having spares as accidents do happen: the glue doesn't take first go and leaves a dry puddle behind, glue will go where you don't want it to go, etc. I use Zap-a-Gap's Polyzap, which is made for not fogging acrylic (use too much and it will fog, but use minimal amounts and it doesn't fog). I came to hate Craftics Clear Thickened Acrylic Cement (it just keeps oozing from the tube and becomes unusable in seconds, a waste of money for the amount you actually get to use, and all the cancer warnings on the tube were a little scary), so I found the Polyzap alternative that works as fast as normal Zap-a-Gap Superglue.

I hope all this helps with your own descent in Madness. :)

How do you keep track of the stats if there's nowhere to slot them in the base? I guess you just keep the tokens as a reference off to the side?

18 minutes ago, Soakman said:

How do you keep track of the stats if there's nowhere to slot them in the base? I guess you just keep the tokens as a reference off to the side?

1 monster tile sits in front of its appropriate monster(s), at one edge of the table in as best alphabetical order as possible.

Star Vampires. These monsters are invisible in their natural state... that is until they start feeding on the blood of the living.

I painted one to look as though he'd just started to have a good meal; pale at the middle but extra bloody near some of the points where the blood would enter. The other Star Vampire was painted as though he's had a fantastic feeding frenzy. Both these guys will get some 'blood effects' next and a shiny glaze to give them a wet look.

34048660_1679944632125929_32958128146601

Nice work. Can I ask what sort of paints/washes you used on these Star Vampires? Sorry if you've already mentioned it.

I have a small collection of Army Painter paints and washes, and although I'm only beginning I find that the washes tend to make things look dirty. I guess I need to start practicing dry-brushing for after the washes have dried?

I was going to do some painting last night, and spent an hour or two watching painting videos, instead. Hehe.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, icabod said:

Nice work. Can I ask what sort of paints/washes you used on these Star Vampires? Sorry if you've already mentioned it.

I have a small collection of Army Painter paints and washes, and although I'm only beginning I find that the washes tend to make things look dirty. I guess I need to start practicing dry-brushing for after the washes have dried?

I was going to do some painting last night, and spent an hour or two watching painting videos, instead. Hehe.

The good news is, I use The Army Painter, so I'll be able to tell you what I used. Problem is, it'll be a few days before I can have a look properly. One thing I do remember explicitly is white undercoat and many layers of Red Ink on top of all the other different reds that were either painted straight on, dry-brushed, or a bit of both.

EDIT: They will end up with a very wet/gloss/shiny sort of look eventually.

Edited by Phoenix_FFG

20 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

The good news is, I use The Army Painter, so I'll be able to tell you what I used. Problem is, it'll be a few days before I can have a look properly. One thing I do remember explicitly is white undercoat and many layers of Red Ink on top of all the other different reds that were either painted straight on, dry-brushed, or a bit of both.

Ah yes, I just looked back and saw your painting workspace - I currently have to set up each time I try to paint (so not very often).

I currently have the matt white spray primer, although for painting the Mansions creatures I'm thinking of getting some black primer so it's less noticeable if I miss an area under the wings with the brush... it'll already be in shadow.

I'm putting off painting the Mansions figures ones until I have more practice, so I'm basically just trying out different techniques on old space marines :)

On 6/9/2018 at 7:28 PM, icabod said:

Star Vampires, from darker to lighter paints: Crusted Sore, Dragon Red, Pure Red. And lost of Red Tone (Ink), I had many coats depending on which Star Vampire, and had a lot of waiting times for them to dry.

Decide on each amount of colour and where, whether it's a full coat or drybrush, and build the colours deeper (more blood) to where the sucking happens (or go the full bloodied feast with the same red mostly throughout). 

The next step, when I get around to it, will be some Blood Effects (here and there, mostly around the suckers) and Gloss Varnish over the whole thing for a slick wet look.

(I also just added Mars Red (paint) to the collection, but I don't think it saw much use beyond just a test of it). 

I had white undercoat spray for Stormtroopers from Imperial Assault. I think the only other Mansions of Madness models I undercoated white were the two Ghosts, painted their chains a dull silver, then the Ghosts received a wash of their appropriate colour (green or blue) two or three times and had their eyes and tongues painted with a matching colour for effect. Normally I would have painted the Crawling Ones with an undercoat of white, but they turned out great with black undercoat. Basically, I 99% undercoat with black.

Posted (edited)

Thanks. That's a lot of work for me - I'm at the "stick paint in mostly the right areas, and try to stay inside the lines" stage.

I have some paints selected for when I start on the Mansions figures (quite like the idea of a purple wash on some of the creatures), but until I get the techniques right...

Edited by icabod
Colour!