admutt

Genesys Dice and Random Encounter Tables

My two cents.

if I was playing a game where random encounters for a big feature like a hex crawl I would do t like this.

how dangerous is the area 1-5

how actively hunting for travelers are those threats 1-5

I’d have the region roll against the pcs using the pool above against probably a group survival check opposed roll.

I would then interpret the roll with roughly along the following lines 

If the enviornemt wins an encounter happens with a rough difficulty based on successes. Off the top of my head a rival per success and minion per advantage with despair being a regional big bad.

That’s my 2 minute napkin math solution. You have now made me want to try this so I’ll report back.

2 minutes ago, WarrenH said:

My two cents.

if I was playing a game where random encounters for a big feature like a hex crawl I would do t like this.

I like the general idea, but it seems to assume only combat/hostile encounters. If you’re going to use random encounters, including encounters for traveling pilgrims, merchant caravans, hermits, friendly tribesmen, difficult river crossings, celestial omens, etc... along with fights would be a good idea. 

Id also want to make it a roll that the players make, with difficulty based on environment. Just to shift as much work as possible off the GMs shoulders and on to the players. 

Oh yeah so pcs winning checks would for sure have the ability to reflect useful/nonhostile encounters 

Since the dice are so useful with threat and advantage you’d also get stuff like hostile encounters with enough advantage to Avoid them or friendly encounters with a risk of going bad