Jump to content
CitizenKeen

GM Binder and Genesys

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Cyvaris said:

Anyone have issues with the Adversary block formatting oddly? The numbers along soak/wound/defenses don't align correctly for me if I don't have two digits in them. 

yeah, that's because they need to use a relative position due to the fact it can be placed anywhere on the page. i'm still looking into a way to have them centered regardless of how many digits they are, but for now they at least fit :P

 

I also just noticed that part of the vehicle stat box gets clipped in the left hand column so i'll need to update those a bit anyway

Edited by saethone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2018 at 12:22 AM, Watercolour Dragon said:

Also would it work/ could it be set up for campaign guide structures which are similar, probably mostly the same, FFG example here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/56/75/5675bba2-a5a2-4161-b4c0-eaed85a3d0b7/genesys_gencon_adventure_lowres.pdf

I'm probably going to make a genesys "terrinoth" theme after the book comes out. Right now, we just have that small adventure, so I wanted to see how the entire book was formatted first. It's not super high on my to-do list though, so anybody else can feel free to use my code as a base :P

 

There will be an updating coming soon which fixes the stat-blocks not centering, changes the default font to crimson, and a few other minor bugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2018 at 3:45 AM, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Okay. As a total newb to this is there a good step by step instruction guide on how to use this? 

Not as of yet - using GM binder in general requires at least a basic knowledge of HTML / CSS, so I would read up about that. There's tons of free resources out there for it, and its really not all to difficult. Once you have a basic understanding of that, its pretty straight forward. I tried to make my style guide as simple as I could, but in some areas I wanted to be very detailed to help people achieve the correct formatting too. I plan to eventually make a more complete style guide, but....fallout 4 beckons...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, saethone said:

Not as of yet - using GM binder in general requires at least a basic knowledge of HTML / CSS, so I would read up about that. There's tons of free resources out there for it, and its really not all to difficult. Once you have a basic understanding of that, its pretty straight forward. I tried to make my style guide as simple as I could, but in some areas I wanted to be very detailed to help people achieve the correct formatting too. I plan to eventually make a more complete style guide, but....fallout 4 beckons...

Maybe you could create a video tutorial just showing how to use the HTML/CSS with the GM Binder and put it on YouTube. I learn best by watching examples. This could be a great thing to link (share) into your Patreon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Maybe you could create a video tutorial just showing how to use the HTML/CSS with the GM Binder and put it on YouTube. I learn best by watching examples. This could be a great thing to link (share) into your Patreon. 

I've dabbled a bit with basic HTML/CSS and this does seem like fairly standard, basic formatting, so if there are any videos on these out there they should be of some use even without being GM Binder specific. If I get chance to have a look at the GM Binder tool myself I'll try and share anything I learn as I go. Searching 'html and css' on Youtube and similar should find some basic tutorials.

 

Basically CSS is a style sheet- it tells the program reading the html document how to present any content in the html document that is linked to that style sheet (you can link more than one if you want different parts of a document to have different looks). This saves time as you don't need to change every bit of the document if you later decide you want it to look different- you only need to update the style sheet.

 

The html is the document with the text you want to display and the links to any style sheet(s) - the html doesn't say how the text is displayed, it leaves that to the style sheets.

 

Sorry if you already know this but that's basically what GM binder does, the style set-up gives your document the same look throughout for different types of content. Not sure exactly how it translates to making a document with GM Binder, but that's the gist of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Stacie_GmrGrl said:

Maybe you could create a video tutorial just showing how to use the HTML/CSS with the GM Binder and put it on YouTube. I learn best by watching examples. This could be a great thing to link (share) into your Patreon. 

It isn't my Patreon - I didn't make and am not associated with GM Binder, I just made the css for the Genesys sheet so I could use it for my campaign, lol. I just figured I'd share it for everyone, and the owner of GM Binder thought it was good enough to include and make it easier for everyone to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Genesys theme at GMbinder has been updated!

 

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L13RITWB8Lz97Kfyju6

This update fixes several of the issues that have been pointed out here and elsewhere that this was posted.

one important note! if you have any vehicle stat blocks in your document, you need to swap the position of the Speed and Handling spans! I had them reversed in the original document, and that is corrected in this update. if you do not, those two will not be positioned correctly

**Change Log**

2/8/18

Updated sheet to use the "Crimson Text" font in leiu of Minion. This will keep the document more uniform as all fonts can now be hosted.

Adjusted font sizes/weights to more accurately represent the book.

Added "Minion" statblock

Updated "Adversary" statblock - the characteristics are now applied separately with an "archetype" statblock. 

Resized statblocks to prevent background clipping 

Swapped position of "Handling" and "speed" in vehicle stat block - Note: PREVIOUSLY MADE STAT BLOCKS NEED TO SWAP THESE SPANS AS WELL, OR FORMATTING WILL BE BROKEN

Corrected a bug that prevented subheaders on certain table rows.

Added spacing between paragraphs.

Provided instructions to indent subsequent paragraphs - cannot be done automaticaly as forced paragraph breaks are neccessary for breaking columns sometimes.

Removed image sizing from the non-blended image - image sizing should be done in the image tag.

Made some improvements to the Style Guide

General cleaning of CSS code


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, Cyvaris said:

Anyone have issues with the Adversary block formatting oddly? The numbers along soak/wound/defenses don't align correctly for me if I don't have two digits in them. 

I forgot to mention it in the change log, but this is fixed in today's update as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a great resource for me, thanks for all the hard work in making the Genesys template!

Quick question for those in the know:  I have basic HTML/CSS skills so I'm pretty sure I can implement the answer to my question, but my question is this:  I had made a quick and dirty template for making NPC/item/weapon cards with LibreOffice and putting 4"x6" notecards in my printer and printing them off.

How can I modify the GM Binder page to print 4"x6" notecards?  I'd love to transfer all of the cards I've made into something that looks better than what I had initially come up with and I'm very happy so far with GMB.  Also, I have a text along the one side of the card with a picture on the other side, sometimes the pic is behind the text because of sizing issues.  But how would I also be able to place photos in GMB if and when I can modify the page to 4"x6" if that makes sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 6:53 PM, theReplicant said:

This has been a great resource for me, thanks for all the hard work in making the Genesys template!

Quick question for those in the know:  I have basic HTML/CSS skills so I'm pretty sure I can implement the answer to my question, but my question is this:  I had made a quick and dirty template for making NPC/item/weapon cards with LibreOffice and putting 4"x6" notecards in my printer and printing them off.

How can I modify the GM Binder page to print 4"x6" notecards?  I'd love to transfer all of the cards I've made into something that looks better than what I had initially come up with and I'm very happy so far with GMB.  Also, I have a text along the one side of the card with a picture on the other side, sometimes the pic is behind the text because of sizing issues.  But how would I also be able to place photos in GMB if and when I can modify the page to 4"x6" if that makes sense?

I dug through the code a little today, the page sizes are set with a div and the class "ng-scope" so you could change the width/height of that class to 6in and 4in respectively, but bear in mind that everything is sized for a full sheet so they end up kind of crammed

 

That will update the preview pane but I have no idea if that will control the actual print screen though, that is all java based so it could come out different - maybe that can give you a place to start

 

You might have better luck asking on reddit as the site's admin posts there at /r/gmbinder

Edited by saethone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, saethone said:

I dug through the code a little today, the page sizes are set with a div and the class "ng-scope" so you could change the width/height of that class to 6in and 4in respectively, but bear in mind that everything is sized for a full sheet so they end up kind of crammed

 

That will update the preview pane but I have no idea if that will control the actual print screen though, that is all java based so it could come out different - maybe that can give you a place to start

 

You might have better luck asking on reddit as the site's admin posts there at /r/gmbinder

Thank you so much for looking in to it for me!

I in fact had asked around at multiple sites (including the reddit there) and your response is the first in about a week.  I did finally puzzle it out and I posted an update somewhere, but I had forgotten where all I had asked this question.

What I did was put 

 .phb{
    width : 6in;
    height : 4in;
    padding: .1in .1in;
    padding-bottom: .1in;
}

between the style tags and that seemed to work as you said; the page shrank to what I wanted, but the elements were still full-sized.  So, I figured out how the GMB Genesys template was written at least well enough to modify the stat-blocks and how to shrink them and get the numbers to align properly again.  Then I spent quite a few hours trying to understand how to align the various parts to look similar to the cards I had come up with when using LibreOffice (so I had made a quasi-random arrangement with LO and was now trying to mimic it with GMB rather than just making a new layout which would have been easier to manage. So, yes, I was doing all this the hard way.)  I ended up modifying the "example" block to float on the right-hand side and only put a photo in it which gave me a two-column appearance.  Basically, I have it laid out to have the stat-block, skills, talents, abilities, and equipment on the left-hand side with a picture representing the NPC on the right.

Then I had to figure out how tables worked in html/css and how tables were created with the Genesys template so I could modify how my "miniaturized" tables would  behave because I had put weapon damages and other notes of how the various abilities and talents worked on the back of the cards so the fronts weren't all crammed with every bit of information and I could still easily reference the info just by flipping the card over.

So I now have so far what I want it to look like and behave for the most part.  I have yet to modify the vehicle stat-block and I have to find an equipment stat-block out there somewhere I can use, but after about two days straight work, I've been what I consider to be very successful and I've learned a lot of html/css too (even though it's been hit-and-miss).

The final step I had to do was get it to print on my home printer properly and that was just a few minutes of trial and error. What I need to do is to go into the web-based print dialog, be sure to choose 4x6 in the printing options section regarding page size and then to go to my printer settings (I run Linux Mint if that may affect how this stuff prints) and change *it* also to 4x6 page size and then it prints perfectly each time.  (I was getting a "page size mismatch" error on my printer when just using the web print dialog, so I just have to remember to switch it back and forth when I want to print cards.)

I celebrated by creating the base layout and populating it with info for an Alliance Infantry Minion and printing it out.

This is for now for my own private use mainly because I'm probably using copyright protected images when finding pics on the web to use for my weapon cards or NPC cards or etc.  However, I'm doing a more-formal write up of my take on a Napoleonic Era Age of Sail game in GMB and I'm specifically using copyright-free images (paintings essentially) so I can safely put that up for general consumption.  Whenever it gets done.  But I can at least apply all this new knowledge into tweaking that template if I feel it needs it, so win-win all around, I think!

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer me here, I do appreciate it.

 

EDITED TO ADD:

I decided to take a screencap of what the card looks like and put it up here for everyone to see.

GMB Screencap.png

Edited by theReplicant
Decided to take a screencap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Khoram!  I generally don't think I have much to contribute to these kinds of artistic endeavors, so I have to usually contend myself with borrowing or d/l'ing someone else's work; but, I'm happy to give back when I'm closer to completion with my Age of Sail material.  But anyway, as you can see, there's still some more work and more tweaking I need to do yet with my 4x6 template, but overall, I'm happy with the direction it's taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saethone said:

That's really cool! Let me know how it turns out when it comes time to print!

Sure!  But to clarify, are you wanting to know when I finish up a bunch of the NPC notecards so that people can print them out themselves?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my god.

I'm completely devastated.  

All of my work is lost.  It's gone.  

Over the past four or five days on multiple documents it's all gone.

It's been overwritten and/or deleted.  There's random inserts of the basic Title Page code block (and picture) into my document code and everything I've manually entered is GONE.

I didn't think to bookmark or otherwise back it up.

I hope it's a database error or failure, but I'm afraid it might not be because I unintentionally left the "Share Source" button checked to 'yes.'  So maybe someone came along and ruined it.

I didn't think that an offline backup would be necessary.

I'm just absolutely ruined.  I don't know what to do or where to turn at this point.  I just cannot believe this. I'm talking probably thirty hours I've spent on this so far and that's probably a slight underestimation.

I'm still in shock.

 

 

ETA:  I went digging more thoroughly and almost all of my documents (eight of them) were trashed to varying degrees, these notecards which I put the most work into were the most trashed so congratulations whoever came along to screw with my work.  And this had to have been done deliberately.  Makes me regret even mentioning it in the first place.

Edited by theReplicant
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, theReplicant said:

Oh my god.

I'm completely devastated.  

All of my work is lost.  It's gone.  

Wow that sucks!

Can you contact the author?  I send user iveld a PM on reddit and they responded very quickly.  I didn't think anyone could edit your work unless you explicitly published it.

And for my work, time to get a backup until such time as there's some sort of version control integration.

 

edit: oh, haha, iveld is in fact on this thread.  

Edited by themensch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, themensch said:

Wow that sucks!

Can you contact the author?  I send user iveld a PM on reddit and they responded very quickly.  I didn't think anyone could edit your work unless you explicitly published it.

And for my work, time to get a backup until such time as there's some sort of version control integration.

 

edit: oh, haha, iveld is in fact on this thread.  

I dunno if there are any backups or whatever made behind the scenes; I think by the nature of the way the whole GMB thing works, I don't have a lot of confidence that there is a system in place.  That's why there is the bookmark option which again, I didn't realize what it was for prior to this happening.

And there are two options to making it public (again as best as I can figure out at this time) and one is "add to GMB search" and "share source."  I think it's the share source one that can allow others to view the source and possibly modify it. I admit I don't know yet for certain and it could have been some sort of malfunction of some kind but it sure kinda looks like it was deliberate.  As I said, I hope it isn't deliberate, though I wouldn't be surprised because this sort of vandalism does happen online when the opportunity presents itself.  I've been thinking back on what I've been doing, what buttons I've pressed and so on and how I've written, copied, and moved code around and I just simply can't think of how else it could have happened.

There were documents that were modified and I hadn't even opened or looked at them myself since the initial code copy/paste until I re-opened them last night to check whether or not they were okay.  So they weren't active documents I was even writing or modifying; the code was pasted in a new document, saved and closed and opened once more at the time to verify the copying went well and that's it. So that's what leads me to believe it wasn't an error on my part.

Anyway, I was able to find a few chunks of my code alterations so it looks like I don't have to start from literal scratch in rebuilding my work.  I'm now copy/pasting the entire code tree to an ASCII file on my hard drive as well as manually writing in the date which I've last modified it to give me a rough approximation of when the last time I know I personally changed stuff.

I was also having fun creating new categories of Alliance Specforce units and I had some handwritten notes and I had also uploaded the pictures I am linking to to a webhosting site, so at least I don't have to hunt around for weblinks for the various pictures I had used and are now lost.  Just before my docs were glitched or whatever, I had about a dozen cards made up with stats, Talents, gear and all that written up.  

Thanks for your well-wishes!  I must admit, it does help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theReplicant said:

I dunno if there are any backups or whatever made behind the scenes; I think by the nature of the way the whole GMB thing works, I don't have a lot of confidence that there is a system in place.  That's why there is the bookmark option which again, I didn't realize what it was for prior to this happening.

 

It couldn't hurt to ask, though.  I'd imagine that even if there's no user-facing backups, surely there's something behind the scenes.  If not, there should be!

 

Some of my stuff got messed up too, so it makes me wonder if there wasn't a change to the way the site renders.  I was nowhere near finished so no big deal, but until you mentioned it I thought it was either something I did or my browser.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, themensch said:

It couldn't hurt to ask, though.  I'd imagine that even if there's no user-facing backups, surely there's something behind the scenes.  If not, there should be!

 

Some of my stuff got messed up too, so it makes me wonder if there wasn't a change to the way the site renders.  I was nowhere near finished so no big deal, but until you mentioned it I thought it was either something I did or my browser.  

Yes, I'll ask.  In the meantime, what do you mean by messed up?  What happened to your documents?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, theReplicant said:

Yes, I'll ask.  In the meantime, what do you mean by messed up?  What happened to your documents?

Not just my documents - darn near everything I've opened has weird formatting pushing things off the right side of the page.  I figured it was just my browser, since I recently switched to using Safari instead of Chrome for better or worse.  However, the same errors cropped up in safe-mode chrome with no plugins, so... \_(ツ)_/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×