Jump to content
emeraldbeacon

...so what's in Wave 14? (Speculation)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Awing Test Pilot said:

True, but we can already put BB-8 in an ARC-170...

Right but here's what I mean.

BB-8 released with a T-70. It released with a ship that could use it. It could also be used on Y-Wings, ARC-170s, E-Wings and T-65s.  So not only was it released with a fighter it could be used alongside (thematically Resistance as well, mind you!) but it also had a real, genuine chance to be used on other, more interesting platforms.

What does The Empire have?

They would have to release BB-9E alongside something that could use it- FFG never releases upgrade cards alongside stuff that can't use them. So then, the only chance we have at getting a character like BB-9E as an Astromech is to release him with a V-Wing. That the First Order has never used. That The Empire ONLY used early on, and which, would be the only Imperial craft to use Astromechs. Its stat line?

3
3
3
0

Now, what exactly does an Astromech add to this agile, firepower intensive, same-hull-as-TIE craft?

That's why we won't see Astromechs for The Empire. The only reason we ever would, was if we got the following.

ARC-170, ETA-2, Y-Wing (PT), and V-Wing, for The Empire.

But The Empire doesn't need a rear-arc small base ship. They have both the Slave I and the TIE/SF. They don't need a 3/3/2/0 Arc dodger, they have plenty of tiny-agile ships. Same for the V-Wing. They also don't need the Y-Wing from The Clone Wars, as very cool as that would actually be, because that's a variant that could actually, feasibly, take crew. But how weird would it be to see Clone Wars Y-Wings fly alongside TIEs when there's no precedent?

Astromechs will likely only ever be Crew for Imperials. These are all the reasons why. They were never essential to Imperial space doctrine, and were never meant to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronOx said:

The problem LNSh waeey'll be obsoleteade.nce de when they hit the  table. If T-65 and B-wings cannd up to 'modern' space f ighters, then how could a clone wars relifoesThe Arcs are equivalent o f P-51Ds modified for racing and flown by aces.

If we had a wave or two of ace boxes and a campaign, I wouldn't mind at all. Since FFG isn't doing card only release, they could pack the boxes with new upgrades and corrected cards.

While I'm not a fan of the Ark Angel, it could add some new tools, maybe a mining tractor beam that can move asteroids and debris.

Sort of. Remeber technology is rather stagnant in Star Wars. As evidenced by the difference between Rebellion and Resistance era equipment.

While the t70 and TIE/fo are superior to their predecessors, its not by much. Certainly not similar to the difference between a p51 Mustang and a f22. F22s are orders of magnitude better than a Mustang. T70s and TIE/fos are onoly marginally better than t65s and TIE/lns.

The TIE/fo turned its hard 2s from white to green and swapped its 3k for 2 sloops. It then gained a single shield and target lock action. But it is still reslly just a tie fighter. And none of those tie lackings were due to lack of technology. Ot. it was a choice to make a very cheap fighter.

The t70 turned a white 3 straight to a green and gained 3 talon rolls. It then gained the boost action and a shield.

Nothing from the original trilogy is really so outdated as to be useless in the star wars universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could release Imperial astromechs along with a title that lets TIE fighters gain an astromech.

Title:Flight Astromech Addition. Imperial only. TIE only. Limited. 0 points. You may equip an additional title. Your upgrade bar gains an Astromech slot. You may not equip unique astromech cards unless they have the Imperial Only tag.

 

Maybe make it ''your upgrade bar gains either an Astromech or Salvaged Astromech slot''? How broken would Unhinged Astromechs be on TIEs?

Edited by BadMotivator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

They could release Imperial astromechs along with a title that lets TIE fighters gain an astromech.

Title:Flight Astromech Addition. Imperial only. TIE only. 0 points. Your upgrade bar gains an Astromech slot. You may not equip unique astromech cards unless they have the Imperial Only tag.

Thematically this makes no sense though. Astromech droids are primarily navigation computers and ties have no light speed drive.

What might be neat is something like assault droids that give ties a +1 red die and maybe in the spirit of fairness take agi down 1. That could be sweet to rain fire down with 3d each. A howl runner swarm could very well become dangerous again but remain vulnerable to it’s current splash damage predators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BadMotivator said:

Sort of. Remeber technology is rather stagnant in Star Wars. As evidenced by the difference between Rebellion and Resistance era equipment.

While the t70 and TIE/fo are superior to their predecessors, its not by much. Certainly not similar to the difference between a p51 Mustang and a f22. F22s are orders of magnitude better than a Mustang. T70s and TIE/fos are onoly marginally better than t65s and TIE/lns.

The TIE/fo turned its hard 2s from white to green and swapped its 3k for 2 sloops. It then gained a single shield and target lock action. But it is still reslly just a tie fighter. And none of those tie lackings were due to lack of technology. Ot. it was a choice to make a very cheap fighter.

The t70 turned a white 3 straight to a green and gained 3 talon rolls. It then gained the boost action and a shield.

Nothing from the original trilogy is really so outdated as to be useless in the star wars universe.

I agree, to me though the N-1 compares to a Fairey Swordfish. Again, they did sink the Bismark with one, but it was a desperate attempt (They used torpedoes too, not harpoons). The N-1 feels like an adequate patrol craft in the story, not a front line fighter. The good guys are usually out gunned in a star wars story. Also, technology can advance rapidly in wartime. The list of project Jyn Erso rattles off includes hyperspace tracking. Maybe Vader had a prototype on his ISD to follow the Tantive IV into ANH, long before it pops up again in Last Jedi.

Some people want the N-1, I want the RotJ Braha'tok gunship for epic. Maybe we'll all get lucky someday.

Back t the topic, I'd love to see FFG get permission to mine the entries of the ILM art contest from a couple of years ago. Maybe they could pick 6 ships from the entries to spice up the table.

Edited by IronOx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Astromechs were navcomputers, but they also assisted with general flight and combat things. So there would be logic to adding them if you had the capability. Even if they were used for hyperspace jumps. And it was only basic TIE fighters and Bombers which didn't have hyper drives. Other ties did have hyper drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, impspy said:

I'd love a Firespray buff that lets them fire secondary weapons out of arc and slightly lowers the cost.

NaYigjS.png

That'd be pretty much perfect.  I've been saying that the rear-arc effects could perhaps be handled through a rules change without a title.  I mean, the Ghost's rear arc can shoot Torpedos because it says so.  Just exempt the Firespray in the baseline rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

We need a Clone Wars starter pack and a Clone Wars wave. All the Clone Wars ships! Two new factions! Do it FFG!

Seriously, I am expecting something big like this because we've been waiting so long for news. And isn't Disney supposedly working on Clone Wars Season 8?

Yesssssssssssss

I would invest heavily in both the CIS and the Republic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadMotivator said:

Astromechs were navcomputers, but they also assisted with general flight and combat things. So there would be logic to adding them if you had the capability. Even if they were used for hyperspace jumps. And it was only basic TIE fighters and Bombers which didn't have hyper drives. Other ties did have hyper drives.

I don't think there is some space left in a TIE/ln to fit an astromech in... Well, maybe in crews for large ship. I think if they will maybe creat other factions for those ( numerous) player who want clone war ships. But don't think it will be soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

That'd be pretty much perfect.  I've been saying that the rear-arc effects could perhaps be handled through a rules change without a title.  I mean, the Ghost's rear arc can shoot Torpedos because it says so.  Just exempt the Firespray in the baseline rules.

HLC + Scum Kath + Tail Gunner = GET REKT

Also - Scum Boba + Autoblaster + Fearlessness that can shoot out of both arcs is devastating.

Edited by viedit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, viedit said:

HLC + Scum Kath + Tail Gunner = GET REKT

Also - Scum Boba + Autoblaster + Fearlessness that can shoot out of both arcs is devastating.

And?  We're in a world of Harpoon Missiles, Miranda, and Nym.  TIE Silencers with Elite, System, and green hard turns.  Dirt-cheap Alpha Class Star Wings.  These would be arc-based ships, with mediocre dials, which don't regen, and still cost a lot.  All told, they'd probably be some of the more wholesome ships in the meta.

Worst case: errata Boba and Kath to only work with primary weapons.

If I've misread your post, you're just explaining how cool it'd be, my bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Yesssssssssssss

I would invest heavily in both the CIS and the Republic.

It needs to happen. FFG completely hates the prequels. I get it. Lots of fans do. But almost no real Star Wars fans actually hate the Clone Wars.

Maybe I'm just saying this because Clone Wars are my childhood. But I'd spend an even more ridiculous amount of money on this game if I could have Echo, Fives, Gregor, Hardcase, Dogma, Tup, Hevy, 99, Thire, and all the rest of the clones in this game. Do it FFG! 

Actually kind of inspired to create a second thread about this now (although I know there's already like a bazillion of them)...

Edit: check it out - here's my thread: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/268664-the-big-clone-wars-thread/ I think this is a great conversation to have but I don't want to derail the speculation thread with my Clone Wars nerdiness! ;)

 

Edited by Kieransi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, player2422845 said:

I don't think there is some space left in a TIE/ln to fit an astromech in... Well, maybe in crews for large ship. I think if they will maybe creat other factions for those ( numerous) player who want clone war ships. But don't think it will be soon.

I'm imagining it as sort of an addition that gets bolted onto the exterior of the TIE's central pod instead of crammed into the interior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BadMotivator said:

I'm imagining it as sort of an addition that gets bolted onto the exterior of the TIE's central pod instead of crammed into the interior.

Oh come on... if you can fit a twi’lek, Lasat, and a Mandalorian in a TIE, you can fit droid.

Also, if you read the Captain Phasma comic, there is a droid in a TIE/SF.  Now this BB unit was doing maintenance, so it didn't have a particular spot.   

A modification that gave an imperial Astromech slot would be interesting to see in canon at some point, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont want astromechs, I want the TIE advanced title on all of the advanced line of fighters. 

TAP, aggressor and defender should all have access to it. 

 

That way the empire would have a niche. Maybe a few imperial only system slots also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

I dont want astromechs, I want the TIE advanced title on all of the advanced line of fighters. 

TAP, aggressor and defender should all have access to it. 

 

That way the empire would have a niche. Maybe a few imperial only system slots also. 

Again, careful what you wish for.  Inquisitor is already hard as **** to hit.  Do you want him to have a sensor jammer too?  What about an X/7 defender with it?  Or Vessery with ATC?  Or Quiz with ATC?  Yikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, viedit said:

Again, careful what you wish for.  Inquisitor is already hard as **** to hit.  Do you want him to have a sensor jammer too?  What about an X/7 defender with it?  Or Vessery with ATC?  Or Quiz with ATC?  Yikes.

ATC is still TIE advanced only. What I want, is a system slot.

Defenders are overpriced anyway.

Sensor jammer... Still, no regen. And I think VI, title and FCS would be a better combo.

 

If you think these are OP combos... Do you think they are better than Miranda with Sabine? Because I don't. They are all arc-locked ships, maneuvering around. They are very easily beaten by skill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inquisitor with a bid can dumpster Miranda or Dash on his own.  And that's current state.  Give him advanced sensors or even more offense/defense?  I can hear Duncan Howard doing his best Palpatine cackle now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, viedit said:

Inquisitor with a bid can dumpster Miranda or Dash on his own.  And that's current state.  Give him advanced sensors or even more offense/defense?  I can hear Duncan Howard doing his best Palpatine cackle now.  

Are you saying that Miranda cannot hit 4 times with TLT until the Inquisitor can deal 9 damage?
 

I don't think the math checks out on that one. And Miranda has bombs, and she can regen. I love the Inquisitor, but I don't think that's a fair matchup. The Miranda player can **** it up and lose, but even in the case of perfect play the Inquisitor can go down due to bad luck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, impspy said:

I'd love a Firespray buff that lets them fire secondary weapons out of arc and slightly lowers the cost.

NaYigjS.png

Noooooooooooo another 360º arc big ship in game is less funny!. I like the idea of throwing secondary weapons through your rear arc+negative cost, but NO in 360º. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RufusDaMan said:

I dont want astromechs, I want the TIE advanced title on all of the advanced line of fighters. 

TAP, aggressor and defender should all have access to it. 

 

That way the empire would have a niche. Maybe a few imperial only system slots also. 

This!

The Rebels have Regen and Astromechs.

Scum has Illicit and Salvaged Astromechs

The Empire should shine with swarms and/or high end fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RogueLeader42 said:

This!

The Rebels have Regen and Astromechs.

Scum has Illicit and Salvaged Astromechs

The Empire should shine with swarms and/or high end fighters.

Yup. Anybody who ignores this upgrade discrepancy is categorically wrong and should be buried alive. Okay maybe not the last part, but this one of the biggest problems of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...