emeraldbeacon

...so what's in Wave 14? (Speculation)

13 minutes ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

I think it would be cool to see Hondo's stolen Sentinel shuttle for scum.  Crappy dial, forward firing arc only but lots of really scummy support abilities

So in other words the Empire would get nothing and left in the dumps again and Scum would get all the cool stuff as usual?

I'll stick with my strong independent GUNBOATS, who don't need no support from no man.

What I want:

Rebels: N1
Imperials: V-Wing
Scum: Vulture Droid

What we'll probably get:

Rebels: Millennium Falcon 3.0 from Solo movie, or possibly some ship Han flies before winning the Falcon.
Imperials: One of the 4 canon shuttles still not in the game, either the sentinel, cargo shuttle, krenic's shuttle, or the new one from TLJ.
Scum: Another ugly, obscure ship from the Galaxies game.

So here's what I'm thinking: what roles do the different factions need right now?

I kinda want another Scum Large-Base ship.  They don't have any ships with the top pilot in the 60-65 point range when normally built (YT-1300, Decimator, Ghost+Phantom all exist in this price range).  I think that'd be an interesting price point for Scum, since they don't exactly have any ship which is points-wise conducive to a "large base + ace" style of list.

Ark Angel would be cool because it'd be mostly a Scum ship, but likely with an Empire version of Aphra, and it'd be wicked cool to get a Scum Black Krrsantan-piloted Auzituck token/pilot.  For just a little bit of cardboard, one expansion could open up a lot of options.

//

Empire needs, I think, a better 50ish point option.  Something like a YT-2400 or Lancer in role.  Maybe that's a Firespray buff, maybe that's something new, but that feels like the slot they need filled most right now.  Maybe a TIE Reaper could fill this role.  It could possibly have a YT-2400/Jumpmaster like title which could transform it from a weaker, mid-30s ship to a low-50s once built.

//

Rebels need a cheapish ace.  The classic A-Wing is outdated, and they don't really have a great 30-35 point ship.  Well, maybe that's Wedge or Wes right now, with VI and FAA, but it'd be nice to have something a bit more modern and a few more options for upgrades.  New A-Wing probably can fill that role, but it's not a ship which really excites me.

//

Personally, I'm not a huge prequel ship fan, because the factions don't make any sense.  I like how they worked it with the ARC (here's some surplus junk we scavenged), but I'm skeptical for other potential ships.

How about they take a year or two off of releasing more poorly balanced ships that nobody has ever heard of and work on making the iconic ships we all know and love playable?  There are so many existing ships in desperate need of some TLC, we don't need more rush-jobs giving us ships in the wrong scale missing key abilities like the Silencer and B-17.

The problem with prequel ships is that they'll be obsolete when they hit the table. If T-65 and B-wings can't stand up to 'modern' space fighters, then how could a clone wars relic? The Arcs are equivalent of P-51Ds modified for racing and flown by aces.

If we had a wave or two of ace boxes and a campaign, I wouldn't mind at all. Since FFG isn't doing card only release, they could pack the boxes with new upgrades and corrected cards.

While I'm not a fan of the Ark Angel, it could add some new tools, maybe a mining tractor beam that can move asteroids and debris.

Edited by IronOx

20 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

That defeats half the purpose of it, though. At that point it's literally just an Imperial A-Wing- do we actually want that?

I just... Feel like not having the astromech defeats the purpose.

Which then leads to a wholly limited, likely very sad pool of Imperial Astromechs. Granted, it'd give us an excuse for BB-9E, but I just...

I mean imagine that you get BB-9E and the only ship you can use him in, is a fifty year old ship. I know, know gameplay takes precedence over fluff..? But like.

Just how asinine would that be?

True, but we can already put BB-8 in an ARC-170...

4 minutes ago, IronOx said:

The problem with prequel ships is that they'll be obsolete when they hit the table. If T-65 and B-wings can't stand up to 'modern' space fighters, then how could a clone wars relic? The Arcs are equivalent of P-51Ds modified for racing and flown by aces.

If we had a wave or two of ace boxes and a campaign, I wouldn't mind at all. Since FFG isn't doing card only release, they could pack the boxes with new upgrades and corrected cards.

If various scum bullships are able to compete with top of the line purpose-built combat ships there is no reason to make Clone Wars era ships weaker than GCW/sequel ships.

Honorable mention to Nym's bomber which is from before the Phantom Menace and somehow manages.

6 minutes ago, IronOx said:

Not necessarily. Y-Wings are Clone Wars vets too and they see good use in the OT trilogy. In fact, the major modifications to the Y-Wings is to strip it down rather than to add to it.

47 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

//

Empire needs, I think, a better 50ish point option.  Something like a YT-2400 or Lancer in role.  Maybe that's a Firespray buff, maybe that's something new, but that feels like the slot they need filled most right now.  Maybe a TIE Reaper could fill this role.  It could possibly have a YT-2400/Jumpmaster like title which could transform it from a weaker, mid-30s ship to a low-50s once built.

//

I'd love a Firespray buff that lets them fire secondary weapons out of arc and slightly lowers the cost.

NaYigjS.png

Edited by impspy

Y-wings are a rugged chassis, like an F-4 or even the B-52 ( I realize the size difference it's the durrability factor I have in mind). The N-1 feels more a Fairey Swordfish. Sure, they caught the Bismark with one, but that was because it was all they had. If they do release it, I hope it would be a dual rebel/ scum ship with named pilots o represent the last few still space worthy.

Yes, scum pilots fly heavily modified, vintage ships. Both from preference and availability. Like that corelian smuggler, Soho or Golo or whatever, the guy who made the Kessel run in 14 parsecs.

13 hours ago, impspy said:

ohhh, if they did that and made the X- and U-wings playable I would be so happy.

X-Wings and U-Wings are playable, you just need a big enough quad to put them on the table.

Edited by FTS Gecko

11 minutes ago, impspy said:

I'd love a Firespray buff that lets them fire secondary weapons out of arc and slightly lowers the cost.

NaYigjS.png

This is totally what the firespray needs! though it might still be overpriced! Maybe -6..? Poor Boba is too overpriced atm and if it counts for both Imperial and Scum i won't complain!

I want an obi wan crew card and not sure i care what form of plastic crack it comes with.  Though I don't currently have any epic ships.  Hopefully whatever it is will fix some old ships and balance some others...

49 minutes ago, IronOx said:

That's why not all ships cost the same. I think that the prequels ships might still do well in this game if priced appropriately. 

Tangentially, it kind of stands to reason that the Empire would have backslid on technology anyway, since they don't trust more than like ten people to design the whole Death Star, and then they kill all their engineers anyway. 

Plus, tech doesn't really advance all that fast in Star Wars. They had hyperspace way back in the time of the Old Republic, and they haven't really advanced it that far since then anyway, right?