Browncoat50

Maul On Norra

Anyone tried this?

Norra Wexly with VI, maul, r2d2, Title and VT,.

Ezra sheathipead with PTL Inspiring recruit, r2 astromech and PRS.

Could also run Ezra with jan ors so Ezra can coordinate and evade with boosted defense. 

Seems like Norra could spend target lock then use maul to reroll new dice. Then the next turn Regen and clear any remaining stress. Plus there is room for 36-37 points on the team. Not sure what to put there.

It would work, just not as consistently as having a focus. And if you miss, it can really suck. And if the bug goes down, Norra is just trash. If you’re going with a concept like this, I would definitely prefer Fenn in the shuttle; better option for Coordinate, and arguably more survivable. Ultimately, though, I just don’t see it being worthwhile, especially since Norra’s defense goes in the sh**er. If you want VI on her, run Rey crew. If you want rerolls for her, run Predator. If you want Coordinate with her, run Fenn. The concept is good, but I just don’t see it being particularly effective as is. 

the only build that seems to work for me is 3po/expertise, but even then she'll melt hard if focused (especially with harpoons)

My most recent build

nora, expertise, r2d2, c3po

fenn, r2 astro, tactician, vi

Lowrick, rage, inspiring recruit, kanan, vectored thrusters.

fenn either rages/barrel rolls the wookie or focuses up norra for defense, then targets anyone stress sensitive himself. The wookie follows the focused guy and reinforces. I'd rate it as probably a teir 2+ build, but it holds it's own and has plenty of potential to win matches. my 1st match tore apart a rho/rho/rexlar x7

Edited by Ralgon

If you want to use Maul/Ezra + A Sheathipede in a build, here's what I recommend:

Fenn Rau (26)
M9-G8
Weapons Engineer
Adaptability

Norra (39)
R2-D2
PTL
Ezra
Title

Wullffwaroo (35)
Maul
Rey
Trick Shot

Norra gets to keep her focus for defense, has regen and gets a guaranteed crit a turn on offense, in addition to her usual roll. Fenn is the ultimate offense denier for 26 points, and will wreck any two ship list (especially TLTs). Wulf is a massive cannon intended to be the focus of early game damage - he can tank quite well with reinforce and a defensive focus (if necessary), and dishes out the pain with fully modded 4-die attacks.

Overall you have punch, damage mitigation and many, many arcs...

56 minutes ago, GreenLantern1138 said:

If you want to put Maul in a Rebel squad, Jan is the best platform for him. 

I don’t follow. I can’t see Maul being worth his points on Jan. 

No, the best platform for Maul is a Ghost with Ezra crew. On an attack, use Maul to reroll some dice, which stresses you and triggers Ezra’s focus->crit, then clear a stress when it hits. It’s great on the primary weapon, even better if you have a turret and docked phantom equipped so you can do it twice/round. 

25 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

I don’t follow. I can’t see Maul being worth his points on Jan. 

With Maul she gets to use her ability twice. Adding an extra shot to two ships is quite potent. If it doesn't quite work that way a couple of turns, at least it's a way to help her shed a potential stress move from the HWK's dial and use her ability once instead of not at all. 

2 hours ago, GreenLantern1138 said:

With Maul she gets to use her ability twice. Adding an extra shot to two ships is quite potent. If it doesn't quite work that way a couple of turns, at least it's a way to help her shed a potential stress move from the HWK's dial and use her ability once instead of not at all. 

I see. However, Jan + Maul + TLT (assuming you want an attack with a decent chance at hitting so that you can trigger Maul) is a minimum of 34 points. A full 1/3rd of your list. And the rest of your list has to have Ezra somewhere in it, as well as one ship that is PS8 or greater and another ship that is PS8 or lower in order to trigger Jan twice. That makes for some challenging list building conditions. Still, could be fun. I’ll have to try it sometime and see if I can make it work. 

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

I see. However, Jan + Maul + TLT (assuming you want an attack with a decent chance at hitting so that you can trigger Maul) is a minimum of 34 points. A full 1/3rd of your list. And the rest of your list has to have Ezra somewhere in it, as well as one ship that is PS8 or greater and another ship that is PS8 or lower in order to trigger Jan twice. That makes for some challenging list building conditions. Still, could be fun. I’ll have to try it sometime and see if I can make it work. 

A list with Jan, Maul, TLT and Adaptability (down) plus a stressbug Ezra and a fully laden Wulffwarro won me a tournament the other day. Most people attacked Ezra first fearing the stress control, and Wulffwarro killed an Advanced Optics Poe in one round because of Jan.

I only fly Butterfly Norra.

•Norra Wexley (41) - ARC-170
Push The Limit (3), •Kyle Katarn (3), •BB-8 (2), Alliance Overhaul (0), Engine Upgrade (4)

I wonder if PtL+ BB-8 might be the way to make Maul work on Norra. 

Switch Kyle Katarn to Maul. 3 actions per round and use Maul for 1 reroll. If her attack hits she’ll be stess free to repeat BB-8+PtL the next round.

I wouldn't entirely rule it out. You definitely want Push on Norra, because the focus/TL combo is pretty much mandatory for her ability. But the second half of Maul's ability is still useful on a PtL Norra: Clearing that push stress mans Norra can do white moves, and even K-Turn on occasion. It also means that you'll still have some offence when you have to barrel roll. Or you can use BB-8 Norra with Push, Maul and the title. Then you're revealing a green, barrel rolling, pushing off the barrel roll for a focus, performing the green to clear the stress, then target locking. You then use Maul's reroll ability when you can be fairly confident the attack will hit, so you can clear the stress and go again.

Of course, damage sticks to BB-8 Norra, so you'll want a late game finisher to back her and Ezra up - Poe seems the best choice:

Ezra Bridger (Sheathipede) (17)
Adaptability (0)
Tactician (2)
R3-A2 (2)

Norra Wexley (29)
Push the Limit (3)
Maul (3)
BB-8 (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Total: 99

I could see that being a fun squad. YMMV on the value of the bid vs Wired on Ezra: I'd love to fit snapshot on him, but I can't find a point short of dropping VI for adaptability (and Poe at PS9 is just not as good as Poe at PS10, and it's not a small gap between the two) or getting rid of Maul, which is kind of the point of the list. Though TBH, I'd probably be perfectly happy dropping Maul, gaining snapshot and filling that crew slot with some nasty 2 point rebel crew (Jyn, Rey, Bistan, even Tail Gunner would be nice there).

Thanks for the input guys! After a play test I really couldn't get it to work that well. I did however have fun with a new list:

Fenn Rau: Decoy, R3, Tactician, PRS - 28

Norra Wexly: PTL, BB8, Kyle Katarn, Title, EU - 41

Gold squadron pilot: FAA, ICT, BTL-A4,Extra Munitions, Bomb Loadout, Cluster Mines - 28

99 pts.

Fenn allows Gold squad to take an action and possibly drop mines in critical spots. Then depending on the round, he swaps PS with either Norra or Gold to change it up. Plus I really like the R3 on Fenn since he usually only throws 2 reds. And then tactician helps add stress control on top of Golds Ion. It's a lot of fun to fly