Tkalamov

What campaigns have you started? Your experiences so far?

Questions stated in the title. Myself, I will start a Fallout campaign fairly soon-ish, and I really can't wait. I've had good experience with the Star Wars games in running one long and one short campaign, but a long campaign with Genesys is something I have yet to experience. What about you? Have you found it just as fast as I have the Star Wars version, or do you think it needs further tweaking? What about rules creation, does it take you an overly long time to come up with something specific, tied to your campaign? 

I've started a campaign (1 session down so far) where my players started playing versions of themselves (no character creation, all characteristics at 2 and skills matching their real life skills) and then travel through the Omniverse (the one created by me and Johan Marek here on the forums) in order to stop "the Errants" from corrupting  worlds. In this first session they ended up travelling to Skyrim and needed to figure out how the world is corrupted (they noted that the Stormcloaks commanding an army of Dragons didn't quite match up with their memory of the games), and next session they'll attempt to course correct the narrative of the world to return it to more or less the status quoe of the games.

The first session went pretty well,we tested out the magic system (which is very good RAW for Elder Scrolls), my players and I have 30 or so sessions of Star Wars under out belt, so adapting to the Genesys ruleset was pretty straightforward to us.

I have a game of iron kingdoms that im running with the genesys rules. 3 Sessions so far, but due to the game being a casual "we play when we have time" -kind of game, it happens at random times and have yet to run a session for almost 2 weeks now.

In addition, im running a fallout game for some childhood friends, but due to one of them working at sea and the other just got a baby, the second session might be delayed until the middle of next month.

Overall, i got some good experiences with genesys, and i like the flexibility of it. But i struggle with creating games where the PCs are equally competent as other people around them, rather than vastly superior (many reasons but quick example would be that in a game where they would be regular humans, the concept of minions opponents make them feel above the common men). So I dont think i would run a game that is along the lines of Call of Cthulhu, but i most certainly would be able to run Pulp Cthulhu with genesys.

I started a fantasy Genesys game with the Gencon adventure. That session was with just one player running Alys leading a group of men-at-arms minions. For the second session the full group was there (4 players) and I continued Alys’ story with the 4e D&D adventure from the DM’s Kit.

Basically the Vampire from the first adventure escaped after killing all of Alys’ minions so Alys has called on some old adventuring buddies to track down the Vampire. 

I have converted my 5e campaign over and am running The Curse of Strahd for my group.  We are 3 sessions in and it is going well. I am doing most of the conversion for the monsters on the fly, I have run al lot of Star Wars so very familiar with the system.

i am using the Knowlage is Power Spell rules from the resource page to give some variety to the spell casters. 

12 hours ago, Big_Pete009 said:

I have converted my 5e campaign over and am running The Curse of Strahd for my group.  We are 3 sessions in and it is going well. I am doing most of the conversion for the monsters on the fly, I have run al lot of Star Wars so very familiar with the system.

i am using the Knowlage is Power Spell rules from the resource page to give some variety to the spell casters. 

That sounds really cool! What was your process converting your 5e campaign? Was it starting with entirely new characters, or did you have to do lots of tinkering to fine tune already existing PCs into their Genesys counterparts? 

16 hours ago, iseir said:

Overall, i got some good experiences with genesys, and i like the flexibility of it. But i struggle with creating games where the PCs are equally competent as other people around them, rather than vastly superior (many reasons but quick example would be that in a game where they would be regular humans, the concept of minions opponents make them feel above the common men). So I dont think i would run a game that is along the lines of Call of Cthulhu, but i most certainly would be able to run Pulp Cthulhu with genesys.

I've wondered about this. In something like GURPS, you could accommodate this problem by simply giving the PCs fewer starting XP. Would that work for Genesys, do you think? Or what if you removed Minions from the game entirely, except perhaps for small, swarming creatures like bats or rats? The Minion rules were created to emulate action movies, so it might make sense to drastically reduce their usage in more "realistic" games.

Started a naval/sailing based fantasy setting game and so far, I like it a lot. Once the group "gets" The dice better I think it'll flow well. 

That said I totally underestimated the combat effectiveness of Rivals and the group's first "combat" encounter was unfun. 

17 hours ago, Tkalamov said:

That sounds really cool! What was your process converting your 5e campaign? Was it starting with entirely new characters, or did you have to do lots of tinkering to fine tune already existing PCs into their Genesys counterparts? 

I converted the existing PCs more for feel than anything at the start. Made sure they could do all the things they were used to. I am stating the monsters on the fly which is pretty straight forward. It was the magic system that we tinkered with most, but using the knowledge is power spell rules we have locked it down. 

I've started a modern era game where the players are part of an international "consultancy" that gets hired for all sorts of jobs, usually ones that governments can't get done themselves for various reasons. The players wanted that to fall apart so they're on the run and having to clear their name plus stay one step ahead of their antagonists.

I'm also about to kick off a fantasy game around a world I've constructed myself. I've set up rules for magic users (divine are affiliated with a dualistic mother/father figure religion; arcane were tied to a college but due to a genocide against the elves, decimating their number by 85% and of which the mages were largely willing particpants, all arcane casters are regulated heavily. Primal is "dead' to the world, awaiting reawakening) and have given them more a history of the nations on the map than a "this class from d20 is represented by this career in genesys...".

So far so good, but I'll report back later.

Edited by Endersai

14 hours ago, JohnChildermass said:

So far, I have started a Science Fiction Campaign inspired by Firefly/Killjoys/The Expanse. We are three sessions in, and it's a lot of fun. Additionally, I've gm'ed a fantasy one shot. Also, I'll start a fantasy campaign in February.

Do you have any sessions recorded? I'd love to see this mash-up campaign!

My friend and I were playing Starfinder but...because Starfinder is an utter ******* garbage fire, we moved to Genesys as of yesterday. There was some confusion in vehicular combat (the GM had never run it before and might have done better to start with simpler combat) but we all had a bunch of fun making up narrative results for the dice rolls.

All in all, it went awesome! 

I was also in a solo game run by my girlfriend (she's the best~) where we used Genesys to run Star Wars because I like the Genesys magic system more than the Force system in FaD. It was fun, though I'm sure every Star Wars purist in the world felt as if their favorite setting cried out in pain and was silenced as Jedi fought with fireballs and conjured skeletons...

We successfully got through the slow-pitch, see how the basics work Prologue of the Campaign.

Scavenging ammo and supplies worked nicely (thank you everyone from my Ammo question thread!), we introduced a non-human playable raced based around the Octonauts' Vegimals.  They successfully gunned down, cleared out, bombs away'd an infestation of Rabbid, Bi-Pedal, Steroid addicted Crazed Rabbits call Warbits.  They even took out a mini-boss named Thumper!  2,000% less Bambie Thumper and 2,000% more Bane but with fur and a bunny nose from Batman.

So far, everyone likes it.  Next session we introduce magic and vehicles and then kick off the actual Campaign.

On 1/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, DragonCobolt said:

It was fun, though I'm sure every Star Wars purist in the world felt as if their favorite setting cried out in pain and was silenced as Jedi fought with fireballs and conjured skeletons...

As a Star Wars purist, fireballs (Force Destruction) and animating corpses (Sith Magic) are both abilities available to practitioners of the dark side in Star Wars Legends, so this seems fine to me. Y'all were just using the dark side.

Edited by GroggyGolem

My friends and I have played a few sessions of an EotE-then-Genesys conversion for Nickelodeon's Avatar series. I actually started working on the conversion in 2016, before I even knew Genesys was going to be a thing. It's been a lot of fun to create along the way, but when we sat down to play it we finally had a blast! I outlined a campaign (most of which I even included in the rulebook for others to use) and the party had a good time using their bending abilities to figure out a way out of the puzzles and traps they started out in. I really tried to follow the spirit of Star Wars and Genesys storytelling as a GM, so we began the story in media res where the players were on monorail in Ba Sing Se that got attacked (ostensibly by 'Equalist terrorists'). The party is four benders (one of each element) and two nonbenders (entertainer and tinkerer).

For bending abilities, I had actually just followed the formatting for Force Powers, but after Genesys came out, I took a hard look at what was introduced, and what I thought Force Powers helped to accomplish. What mattered most, at least to me and my friends, was that every bender felt different even if they were of the same element. So in bringing the abilities to life, we looked for ways to give characters access to the same abilities, but with a special version of the Genesys spell upgrade tables (one for each element).

Overall the first few sessions have been great, and each combat sessions continues to give us more ideas to make sure benders and nonbenders are both viable.

I am currently creating my own Steampunk/ Wild West themed campaign. A new fuel source was discovered in the American West by a German Engineering Corporation and it has driven the rise of intricate and uniquely strange inventions. That same company also discovered a new race of underground dwellers who's society and culture are still largely unknown. Their discovery has only added to the increasingly wild boundaries of reality for the people there.  Lots of shifting political ties and motivations with exploration and plenty of combat.

I briefly read the thread about ammo but am still debating on how to handle ammo consumption and whether it should be limited in some way or not in the campaign. 

Will hopefully be starting the first adventure of it soon. Still, need lots of work on creating weapons, gear, vehicles, and inventions for a steampunk world.

Is it a long shot to think that they might make a sourcebook for the Steampunk genre?

I've had one session so far running my daughter (first time roleplayer) in a Genesys'd Star Wars campaign.  We're shooting for session two next weekend with a good friend of hers, who wants to play a bounty hunter (and also a first time roleplayer).  My daughter picked up the dice and the narrative style it supports really rapidly.  In fact, I was rather impressed (and I've been playing and running games since 1980).

I'm currently working on an Age of Sail campaign that I started with Fate Core last year-ish but I'm much happier with it in Genesys.

I also look forward to making (my first comment here) a Morrow Project type game, a zombie apocalypse game, another sci fi game (not Star Wars but maybe a Firefly style or maybe Traveller style game), as well as a Conan-esque sword and sorcery campaign.  I can't forget a Wild West campaign I've been wanting to run for the past decade or so too.

I plan on staying busy with Genesys for a long while to come...

Edited by theReplicant

On 1/28/2018 at 12:40 AM, Big_Pete009 said:

I converted the existing PCs more for feel than anything at the start. Made sure they could do all the things they were used to. I am stating the monsters on the fly which is pretty straight forward. It was the magic system that we tinkered with most, but using the knowledge is power spell rules we have locked it down. 

What are the knowledge is power rules? I must have missed them 

I’ve played in three sessions of a distinctly horror themed game. My normal seeming modern day mechanic woke up in something scarily like the upside down. Weirdly he keeps having flash backs to other ages/settings/dreams? He isn’t sure but the visions give him powers different from his own. One vision he was a death knight, another he was a Wild West Mage. So basically I have no clue what’s going on but it’s a heck of a ride.

Ive also run 2-3 sessions of shadow run. Oh man is genesys good for shadowrun.

1 hour ago, WarrenH said:

I’ve played in three sessions of a distinctly horror themed game. My normal seeming modern day mechanic woke up in something scarily like the upside down. Weirdly he keeps having flash backs to other ages/settings/dreams? He isn’t sure but the visions give him powers different from his own. One vision he was a death knight, another he was a Wild West Mage. So basically I have no clue what’s going on but it’s a heck of a ride.

Ive also run 2-3 sessions of shadow run. Oh man is genesys good for shadowrun.

That sounds awesome, man! And have you converted Shadowrun yourself, or did you just use the few Cyberpunk rules in the book and winged it? 

My best friend and I are nearing completion of a pretty thorough shadowrun rules package. It’s probably 70% just combining fantasy and sci-fi settings with the other 30% being bringing in what you need to make it feel like Shadowrun. 

Its running about 15000 words right now I expect it’ll be about 18 pages when we have it polished and presentable.

it has the obvious races and careers of course. It expands magic slightly to account for aspected mages (which are awesomely viable now in my opinion) as well as adepts. We included decking rules that provide granularity in how much you want to have to favor shadowrun flavor vs ease of use.

we were avoiding riggers at first due to complexities of having drones but I think we cracked that to make them fun and reasonable so they are currently in.

We also added a very simple and optional step to character creation that helps take a fresh genesys character and make them feel more like your experienced runner. As a fun bonus it captures a bit of the spirit of the priority system (without the complexity!).

It’s firmly genesys at its core, but now with decking, adepts, and riggers that are about as distinct and powerful as spellcasters are in base genesys.

i feel I should make this disclaimer every time I talk about it. Shadowrun is a lot of things to a lot of people. We for sure don’t have the audacity to think that our version is the best version or even a version all shadowrun fans will think is good. I cannot wait to release it here to see what people think and how we can all come together and make it better.

Edited by WarrenH
Typo