Artjunkie

Boba Fett Crew on Epic

I have a question about Boba Fett crew vs. a huge ship. What are priority upgrades to strip? For the Gozanti and C-roc, I'd go for their hardpoint. What about the Raider and Cr-90? Is anything vital for the Gr-75? Are there upgrades you think are not worth stripping? If you don't run him in a Firespray, I feel he can be powerful (for one point) against huge ships.

That's an excellent question. My knee-jerk reaction is to take out a) nasty weapons, like Harpoon Missiles; b) "Huge-ship only" crew, like Grand Moff Tarkin and Toryn Farr; or c) the Huge ship's modification (Optimized Generators or Automated Protocols).

It's an interesting thought exercise, but so much of it depends on your opponent's squad, and how the upgrades all interact.

So hold up. If you hit a missile raider with bobaand pull his tubes mod does that make all the ordnance fall off because it can't equip them anymore? 

Cause that seems like the easy answer there.

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

17 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

So hold up. If you hit a missile raider with bobaand pull his tubes mod does that make all the ordnance fall off because it can't equip them anymore? 

No, there is precedent in the FAQ, but I can't remember the exact example. Basically, cards that affect squad building do not lose their effect when they are removed. Oh, I think it was the Royal Guard Title - if you remove that title, you don't get to remove one of the modifications.

2 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

No, there is precedent in the FAQ, but I can't remember the exact example. Basically, cards that affect squad building do not lose their effect when they are removed. Oh, I think it was the Royal Guard Title - if you remove that title, you don't get to remove one of the modifications.

Ok so in that case yeah first instinct is to pull off a gun. Maybe maul if its a cr90 with him.

3 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Sometimes, but not right away. There's two parts to the Ordnance Tubes:

ordnance-tubes.png.f65b61927a1a68482788002e0398b525.png

First "You may treat each of your [Hardpoint] upgrade icons as a [Torpedo] or [Missile] upgrade icon." When a section of a huge ship is crippled "the controlling player must choose and discard any Upgrade cards in excess of the upgrade icons depicted on that side" (Huge Ship Rules, pg. 3), so if the Ordnance Tubes are no longer equipped, you'll have to discard the ordnance from the crippled section when it gets crippled (not before or after), even if there are Hardpoint icons.

Second "When you are instructed to discard a [Torpedo] or [Missile] Upgrade card, do not discard it." If Ordnance Tubes are discarded then they no longer keep you from discarding ordnance, so you effectively have one more shot with each torpedo/missile.

The second part raises another question though, do Ordnance Tubes keep you from discarding Torpedoes and Missiles from a crippled section? (no matter how many Hardpoint icons it has).

Edited by FireSpy

9 hours ago, FireSpy said:

Sometimes, but not right away. There's two parts to the Ordnance Tubes:

ordnance-tubes.png.f65b61927a1a68482788002e0398b525.png

First "You may treat each of your [Hardpoint] upgrade icons as a [Torpedo] or [Missile] upgrade icon." When a section of a huge ship is crippled "the controlling player must choose and discard any Upgrade cards in excess of the upgrade icons depicted on that side" (Huge Ship Rules, pg. 3), so if the Ordnance Tubes are no longer equipped, you'll have to discard the ordnance from the crippled section when it gets crippled (not before or after), even if there are Hardpoint icons.

Second "When you are instructed to discard a [Torpedo] or [Missile] Upgrade card, do not discard it." If Ordnance Tubes are discarded then they no longer keep you from discarding ordnance, so you effectively have one more shot with each torpedo/missile.

The second part raises another question though, do Ordnance Tubes keep you from discarding Torpedoes and Missiles from a crippled section? (no matter how many Hardpoint icons it has).

Again the need for a FAQ section in Epic and Hug ship rules specifically for Epic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is simply discarding Ordnance Tubes upgrade has no effect. After all discarding Jabba the Hutt doesn't disable illicit tokens, same for Extra Munitions.

However for thematic purposes I can see it disabling the 2nd part making all the missiles and torpedoes last time use weapons. It would be like Boba threw a thermal detonator in the ships magazine and blew up all the munitions.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:39 AM, Marinealver said:

However for thematic purposes I can see it disabling the 2nd part making all the missiles and torpedoes last time use weapons.

Exactly.

Losing Extra Munitions/Jabba doesn't remove the token on a different upgrade card, so as long as that token's still there it 'does something', but in this case it's more like losing munitions failsafe; the thing stopping you discarding is a trigger on a different upgrade card, and that card is now gone.

So far in our league, we have played it so that if ordnance tube gets destroyed, all remaining torpedoes and missiles only have one shot left.  Every missile and torpedoe has a discard clause and ordnance tubes is the only thing preventing that clause from taking effect.

That being said, you might think that this makes the choice an easy one, but it does not.  The fact is that if you managed to collapse the shields and land Boba Fett, you might be close to crippling the section and destroying those ordnance points anyway.  In such a scenario, destroying the missile / torpedo  and preventing one attack "right now" may be a better alternative.

As with many things X-Wing related, it's not always a black or white answer :)

This is straight forward:

Stripping "Ordnance Tubes" does not cause an immediate issue.  Losing upgrade slots mid-game does not affect the ship's upgrades, and there is long precedence for this in X-Wing (e.g. an X-Wing with R2D6 (add an EPT slot) and Veteran Instincts can use Integrated Astromech to discard R2D6 and it still retains Veteran Instincts, even though there is no "slot" for it on the ship).

But, once the Ordnance Tubes are stripped, its effect of 'not discarding missile/torpedo cards when told to do so' is no longer relevant, so the next time each of them are used they are discarded.

So, killing the Ordnance Tubes modification means that the equipped ordnance revert back to one-shot weapons, as printed on their respective cards.