Sign in to follow this  
Clutterbuck

Keys to high quality Miranda play

Hey, all!  I know, I know, an untrained primate can play Miranda, blah blah blah.  NPE, etc.  I am not arguing against the premise.  However, I'd like to get better at playing Miranda.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of any specific videos of high quality Miranda play worth watching and studying, or if you have any tipds and tricks to offer.  For reference, the Miranda I am playing (I don't claim to have come up with this on my own): Miranda Doni, TLT, Bomblet, Harpoon, Sabine, Long Range Scanners

In terms of general tips and tricks:

- Don't joust. This can change if you're flying Miranda with a three-ship build or something, but on her own, she wants to kite. If you get caught in multiple arcs at Range 1-2, you're gonna die.

- Obviously related: Range 3 and/or obstructed is absolutely ideal. Doubling or tripling your agility value, particularly with a focus token to back it up, makes Miranda frustratingly difficult to bring down.

- Don't SLAM unless you know it's a good idea. Or at least you're really sure. Losing a shot is a huge deal with Miranda, because you lose out on the opportunity to shoot and you lose out on the opportunity to regen.

Those are the basics, as I see them. A bit more nuanced:

- Don't kite too hard. You still have to do damage at some point, and there are also times when the aggressive move will get you out of trouble a lot more effectively than the passive move. Don't let yourself get chased into a corner; learn to turn in when the opponent doesn't expect it and cut through the middle.

- Use Miranda's ability for offense. If they go after someone else, make them pay for it. Four-dice TLT shots will eventually wear down even aces like Fenn Rau -- three dice can't block four hits.

- Make them come to you. With Miranda on the table, you're winning already just because your ship is so much harder to bring down than theirs (usually). Be patient; your win condition doesn't involve being aggressive.

Edited by Ailowynn

I've got a few to add, maybe even refute some of Ailowynn's points:

-Rocks are your friend. Park on a rock and your chances of getting that extra defense die are even higher.

-Regen isn't as good as people would have you believe. Really pump those shields into your offense when you can. You'll burn them down first!

-If you SLAM off of the board edge, you appear on the opposite edge like in Mario because SLAM doesn't count (wormhole clause, rulebook pg. 13). Use this in a tricky situation since non-SLAM ships won't be able to chase you.

-A tip from countless hours as Miranda: Don't sleep on that 2 straight. It's green for a reason. If you're stressed, you can use the 2 straight to clear it (a lot of folks don't know about this interaction).

-Psychological attacks are arguably more effective than turret fire in some situations. Taunting an opponent for bringing a list that doesn't also have Miranda can really throw them off of their game. Use this to your advantage (but don't be a jerk about it! It's just a game tactic, you don't mean it genuinely!)

-Regardless of whose ships kill whose, if you're both having fun then you both win. And therefore are both entitled to proceed to the next rounds of your event (having fun clause, TFA rulebook pg .16)

Just remember this stuff and you'll be a pro in no time.

12 hours ago, Clutterbuck said:

Hey, all!  I know, I know, an untrained primate can play Miranda, blah blah blah.  NPE, etc.  I am not arguing against the premise.  However, I'd like to get better at playing Miranda.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of any specific videos of high quality Miranda play worth watching and studying, or if you have any tipds and tricks to offer.  For reference, the Miranda I am playing (I don't claim to have come up with this on my own): Miranda Doni, TLT, Bomblet, Harpoon, Sabine, Long Range Scanners

Best ship in the game......by a long shot, OP chassis actually. No offense to you sir, but I have an opinion on the subject that will not assist your push towards maximized glory. Personally, I feel having a desire to get better is fantastic. However, wanting to get even better at removing more fun from the game (continue to remove diversity in squads as we just had a healthy meta, increasing mirror matches of broken v. broken, etc.) seems something that should be kept under wraps in PMs, not broadcast on a forum.  It just seems wrong in some real way; though we all know it surely isn't wrong at all. Maybe we should post inquiries about getting better at building/flying ships that arean't always in the top three.

Yeah, I apologize sincerely, I'm not in my right mind, I need some tea...badly.

Carry on.

• It's better to err on the side of caution, because she can melt quickly.  In general, pick the safest move.
  • SLAMing out of multiple arcs is usually better than staying put and taking concentrated fire.
  • I usually don't pull off shields against hard-to-hit targets unless I have both TL/focus. It's very sad to give up a shield and end up rolling blank/blank/hit/hit which they evade.
  • Along with above, a regen shot is almost always the correct shot.
  • Lastly, and most importantly, ignore anyone who wants to guilt you into playing the game in the manner they would prefer.  If they don't like the state of the game, they can choose to play a different game.
Edited by gennataos

13 hours ago, HammerGibbens said:

-If you SLAM off of the board edge, you appear on the opposite edge like in Mario because SLAM doesn't count (wormhole clause, rulebook pg. 13). Use this in a tricky situation since non-SLAM ships won't be able to chase you.

Hi @HammerGibbens, could you explain me this point ? Can't find the 'wormhole clause' you are talking about ...

Thanks a lot :)

With Miranda, it's all about the mind games. Who cares how you fly her, just make sure you have witty quips in store when you inevitably get flamed for putting her on the table:

"Regen is actually really well balanced! Sorry Imps!"

"I guess you just have to Git Gud, or play Miranda yourself!"

"TLT and a PWT has LOTS of counterplay! You should really just stay beyond range 3 all the time."

"Boy, Sabine is really healthy for the game! 2pt-tastic!"

"If I put all the OP things people hate onto one ship, X-Wing will be fun again!"

"Of course I fly Nym with Miranda! Also, Stalin was good guy."

lel

Edited by Favoritism Flight Games

18 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

You're bad and you should feel bad!

Yeah, I am a charter member of bad at this game, but I loves it. I did feel bad too, haha.

8 minutes ago, gennataos said:

am bad and do feel bad about being bad.  

Me too.....but I have had my tea now, so....feeling less bad, really, haha.

15 hours ago, Clutterbuck said:

Hey, all!  I know, I know, an untrained primate can play Miranda, blah blah blah.  NPE, etc.

Nah, only idiots think this way.

Miranda is a great ship but to win a tournament you need to know match-ups and know how to play properly.
For bunch of nerf-herders there always will be some NPE, because witch-hunting for them is their only pleasure in this game.

Yeah, folks who think Miranda is easy to fly are just wrong. She’s not. Unlike a lot of OP ships out there, she has a moderate skill floor—but also a super high ceiling.

One other tip that occurred to me is a bit of a weird one, but always regen on the second TLT shot (if you’re going to regen). It puts the information in your hands. Nothing is worse, for example, than rolling two focus on your regen shot, spending the token, and then rolling three focus on the next one. Stuff like that. Plus you get to see if the first one snuck a damage through, so maybe you don’t want to regen after all, and plus your opponent doesn’t get to know that one of your shots will be regen; he has to play a smidgen more defensive.  

16 hours ago, Clutterbuck said:

If you're playing missle miranda there's a few videos of me playing it at the crossroads classic in 2016 and 2017 and a few snippetd frkm gencon on gold squadrons page. I placed well at those events so hopefully those videos help. Honestly though @HammerGibbens really nailed the core tenents.

1 hour ago, Ailowynn said:

Yeah, folks who think Miranda is easy to fly are just wrong. She’s not. Unlike a lot of OP ships out there, she has a moderate skill floor—but also a super high ceiling.

One other tip that occurred to me is a bit of a weird one, but always regen on the second TLT shot (if you’re going to regen). It puts the information in your hands. Nothing is worse, for example, than rolling two focus on your regen shot, spending the token, and then rolling three focus on the next one. Stuff like that. Plus you get to see if the first one snuck a damage through, so maybe you don’t want to regen after all, and plus your opponent doesn’t get to know that one of your shots will be regen; he has to play a smidgen more defensive. 

This.

Yes, she's not a dumb easy bird to fly, but she's easier than most; she also gives even the most novice pilot at her controls the ability to get into a mistake that would destroy most any other ship. Beyond her ability to make a mistake and live, she can punch while doing so. She doesn't have to joust (and shouldn't) but she can, she can skirt and TLT without being able to worry about damage building as she controls her shields as she can grow them back. Even Poe can't do such things, heck, nobody can. In addition, her options for build-outs are so varied and she gets better with each Wave as most all other ships decrease (this is a huge flag). Think about it, she has it all: Regen-ing, Slam-ing, TLT-ing, Missile-ing, unlimited Bombing, and point-fortress-ing...she's easily the absolute best ship in the game... saying her ceiling is super high is absolutely correct.

The nerf posts about "Nym with genius with Trajectory Simulator" were not wrong, but they, in my opinion, didn't take the sword to the most powerful head of the dragon, which clearly is Miranda, IMO. Anyway.......I've had tea, I'm thinking and typing way too much about this fantastic ship. She's the bomb, run her; she'll be the other hand of the one holding the Worlds 2018 trophy I'm quite sure.

Carry on....Miranda for (has already grabbed) Worlds 2018!

1 hour ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Stay away from ships with tractor beams. Stay away from ships with ion shooters. If not you’d better kill that ship in one shot. I just love defenders. 

For the record, I'm not really one for teching against very specific stuff, but whenever I happen to come upon Miranda when using an Ion TIE/D, I do kind of feel like the light of heaven is shining on me.  

18 hours ago, Clutterbuck said:

What else is in your list? If you don't have any other bombs I would suggest C3PO instead of Sabine for survivability as you will get more from that rather than Sabine.

4 hours ago, Biophysical said:

For the record, I'm not really one for teching against very specific stuff, but whenever I happen to come upon Miranda when using an Ion TIE/D, I do kind of feel like the light of heaven is shining on me.  

That's funny cuz I like being on the (missile) miranda side of the equation. Triple x 7 is no fun though.