Fuzzywookie

Does the Empire have medical ships?

14 minutes ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Probably not. That’s what air locks are for. 

Well, considering how lethal lasers are (and that there is no life support in most TIEs), they won't be needing those medical ships often anyways. 

16 minutes ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Probably not. That’s what air locks are for. 

In Lost Stars, Ciena Ree is heavily injured, and after her initial triage on the Star Destroyer, she is basically transferred to a Base for recovery/therapy/recuperation.

So not so much medical ship, as medical base, yes.

Also, you learn that basically Imperial Officers accrue leave they can take, but they also have to basically save that for Medical instances, or they get "retired" if they can't work while injured.

the old Republic did, so odds are yes, the Empire would as well. though i suspect that Star Destroyers were often used to fill that role, since they were very much jack of all trades. (battleship, carrier, troop transport.. given the size of the crew and embarked troops, they'd need really robust medical sections anyway, so it wouldn't be hard for the Empire to just install an excess of medical support capacity. would be useful for supporting the troops during a campaign, for sure.)

honestly, what i would like to see in the canon is that these were originally Imperial medical ships

Nebulon-B.jpg

which the Rebellion stole, and some of which they refit for combat. which would make a lot more sense to me given they didn't seem designed for combat, and would explain why every appearance of them as a combat ship so far has had a totally different weapons placement and loadout..

Edited by mithril2098

12 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

honestly, what i would like to see in the canon is that these were originally Imperial medical ships

Nebulon-B.jpg

which the Rebellion stole, and some of which they refit for combat. which would make a lot more sense to me given they didn't seem designed for combat, and would explain why every appearance of them as a combat ship so far has had a totally different weapons placement and loadout..

I think you're right about those starting as Imperial ships and finding their way into Rebel hands, but I think they were an older model, and by the time of the movies the Empire would have replaced most, if not all, of them with the newer Nebulon-B2s.

kdy_nebulon_b2_frigate_ortho__new__by_un

16 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

Nebulon-B.jpg

It still annoys me every time I see someone try to cram fighters on there. ESPECIALLY squeezing in a full 2 dozen as per the WEG stats (although that's still not as pad as cramming a full squadron of X-wings onto a modified Corvette).

I spent some time playing around with 3D models, and the BEST I was able to do was six X-wings, and that required a setup consisting of a flight/launch deck with a maintenance/storage hangar below. Two X-wings would have to be spotted for launch at all times on the flight deck, with the other four stowed below. And that's JUST to fit the X-wings themselves. I didn't even touch the other support facilities (fuel and ordinance bunkers, parts stores, space to actually MOVE ships between the elevator to the flight deck and their parking space in the hangar, etc.) that would be required to operate as a carrier. The flight deck and hangar alone would have occupied a considerable chunk of the upper forward hull. Anything larger than an X-wing wouldn't fit at all, but the smaller TIEs wouldn't have been much better, either.

On 1/26/2018 at 2:04 PM, Ambaryerno said:

It still annoys me every time I see someone try to cram fighters on there. ESPECIALLY squeezing in a full 2 dozen as per the WEG stats (although that's still not as pad as cramming a full squadron of X-wings onto a modified Corvette).

I spent some time playing around with 3D models, and the BEST I was able to do was six X-wings, and that required a setup consisting of a flight/launch deck with a maintenance/storage hangar below. Two X-wings would have to be spotted for launch at all times on the flight deck, with the other four stowed below. And that's JUST to fit the X-wings themselves. I didn't even touch the other support facilities (fuel and ordinance bunkers, parts stores, space to actually MOVE ships between the elevator to the flight deck and their parking space in the hangar, etc.) that would be required to operate as a carrier. The flight deck and hangar alone would have occupied a considerable chunk of the upper forward hull. Anything larger than an X-wing wouldn't fit at all, but the smaller TIEs wouldn't have been much better, either.

It doesn't help that Star Wars fighters patently refuse to utilize space saving measures such as wings that fold upwards which if anything would make MORE sense on a spacecraft than on a vehicle that utilizes those wings for lift.

The most fighters that I could cram into a Nebulon involved a conveyor system that latched upon the closed foils of the X-Wing and fed it down into a hangar with barely any room between the canopy and the fighter above it. No clue how the poor R2 unit got out. Even with that and gutting all interior space that could actually fit an X-Wing, you could maybe fit half of the stated fighters. I imagined that the frigate just had half of the fighter compliment in flight at any one time and was SOL if 13/24 fighters needed vital repairs at once.

9 minutes ago, flyboymb said:

It doesn't help that Star Wars fighters patently refuse to utilize space saving measures such as wings that fold upwards which if anything would make MORE sense on a spacecraft than on a vehicle that utilizes those wings for lift.

The most fighters that I could cram into a Nebulon involved a conveyor system that latched upon the closed foils of the X-Wing and fed it down into a hangar with barely any room between the canopy and the fighter above it. No clue how the poor R2 unit got out. Even with that and gutting all interior space that could actually fit an X-Wing, you could maybe fit half of the stated fighters. I imagined that the frigate just had half of the fighter compliment in flight at any one time and was SOL if 13/24 fighters needed vital repairs at once.

The sad thing is people just don't think about just how much SPACE you need to operate an air wing. Aircraft carriers are as big as they are for a reason, and they're almost entirely dedicated to that task.

Now that's not to say you COULDN'T have a small carrier the size of a Nebulon frigate, however you'd need a radically different configuration for it to work (something more like Flurry and the other modified Quasar Fire cruisers).

On 1/26/2018 at 2:04 PM, Ambaryerno said:

one of the best examples i've ever seen of how laughable the idea is was this guy's 1/288th scale model (scaled to the X-wings from one of the old MPC Hoth sets)

http://www.siriusreplicas.com/models/scifi/nebulon-b/nebulon-b.htm

he put a hanger in for X-wings, but despite devoting most of the upper hull to it, only 3 fit..  i figure you could maybe fit 4 TIE interceptors.

people keep pointing to and old WEG adventure module that tried to show how all those fighters would fit.. but having seen those plans, that nebulon-B would have to be nearly the size of a star destroyer.

personally i've always figured that if nebulon-B's carried fighters, it was using external docking clamps along the spine, similar to the Carrack class or the Gozanti. would also explain how the Medical Frigate in ESB was able to dock the Falcon.

2 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

one of the best examples i've ever seen of how laughable the idea is was this guy's 1/288th scale model (scaled to the X-wings from one of the old MPC Hoth sets)

http://www.siriusreplicas.com/models/scifi/nebulon-b/nebulon-b.htm

he put a hanger in for X-wings, but despite devoting most of the upper hull to it, only 3 fit..  i figure you could maybe fit 4 TIE interceptors.

people keep pointing to and old WEG adventure module that tried to show how all those fighters would fit.. but having seen those plans, that nebulon-B would have to be nearly the size of a star destroyer.

personally i've always figured that if nebulon-B's carried fighters, it was using external docking clamps along the spine, similar to the Carrack class or the Gozanti. would also explain how the Medical Frigate in ESB was able to dock the Falcon.

Which is honestly all you need. Have a small hangar for actual maintenance, exterior clamps for docking and refueling, and you've got at least a small fighter force. Of course the question is how many fighters could a Nebulon clamp if a Nebulon could clamp fighters?

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, mithril2098 said:

That's been my assumption as well, given the sheer number it claims to carry. It makes sense - whilst a frigate might want the capability to carry fighters for a given mission, it wouldn't necessarily have a dedicated 'wing' like a true carrier would because no amount of messing around would let you have the proper pressurised maintenance bay to service them, so they can't be based on board like a star destroyer's squadrons can. And if not, why not just string them along the spine that we know has docking clamps, because we've seen them used.

After all, external clamps also gives the advantage of launch speed - unlike rebel fighters which can arrive deployed via their own hyperdrive, TIEs need to clear the hangar on arrival - putting them on external clamps where everyone can launch simultaneously makes sense given that the nature of navy-versus-insurgency means it's the Empire getting ambushed by the Rebels more often than the other way around.