Flyingbrick

Alpha class star wing on sale.

1 hour ago, william1134 said:

Aside from price gouging, why is anybody buying star wings?    Seriously asking because they have been completely dead in my local meta. Sure somebody is making waves with a very complex and built up vynder but that doesn't mean the ship is any good in general.

It seems they have a nice comeback. Denver SOS showed that they could make a very strong influence supporting Vader. 

Just as an aside, I am building a new squad (it's quite illegal but cool) and I need one more TIE Advanced Prototype (1.0 version/paint scheme) and it, of course, has gone up bonkers and the LGS hasn't had one for eons. So, if anyone has one, knows where to get one, let me know.

...but I do have my tea :-)

7 hours ago, william1134 said:

Aside from price gouging, why is anybody buying star wings?    Seriously asking because they have been completely dead in my local meta. Sure somebody is making waves with a very complex and built up vynder but that doesn't mean the ship is any good in general.

You're not getting your first edition HLCs back.  Figure out a different way to fly them, other people have managed it.

They are good in the right hands. Local player here flew Vader and three ion cannon gunboats to top16 in Denver. Flying them takes some practice to adjust to just how fast and how far that slam takes you.

Edited by wurms

I am thinking that the gunboats are an under appreciated platform that might be starting to come of age. Just seems that their potential is starting to show. When i first started this thread those were my thoughts and now that some success is coming its way others are seeing it also.

Feels Awesome: Starting X-Wing and learning that your favorite ship from TIE Fighter is in the game.

Feels Bad: Starting X-Wing too late to buy your favorite ship from TIE Fighter.

If anybody would be willing to trade one for, say, a Guns for Hire, let me know.

1 hour ago, Vergaul said:

Feels Awesome: Starting X-Wing and learning that your favorite ship from TIE Fighter is in the game.

If anybody would be willing to trade one for, say, a Guns for Hire, let me know.

Can we petition ffg to print the second edition gun boat? I mean this thing is seriously impossible to find new, and is like 50 dollars on the second hand market, it's ridiculous especially since they'll be worth like 10 once the second edition ones come out. I have one but would love a few more and it's even worse for new players who don't have any or someone who didn't get one when they were out.

6 hours ago, agenttherock said:

Can we petition ffg to print the second edition gun boat? I mean this thing is seriously impossible to find new, and is like 50 dollars on the second hand market, it's ridiculous especially since they'll be worth like 10 once the second edition ones come out. I have one but would love a few more and it's even worse for new players who don't have any or someone who didn't get one when they were out.

I mean seriously. The secondhand market is pretty hot for 1st edition Gunboats. And the Empire isn't getting a whole lot in the next couple of waves.

Edited by ArcHammer

18 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

You're not getting your first edition HLCs back.  Figure out a different way to fly them, other people have managed it.

NEVERRRRR

I loved those HLC gunboats and am really not a fan of having to have a huge amount of upgrades on them to make them viable. 

1 hour ago, Estarriol said:

Gunboats are solid. Mine are loaded with Ion missiles, apt, AS, FCS, os1, three Nus with Whisper. Give them a bash :)

Might do that as I have 3 of them.  That list seems that it would struggle to do damage though?

They also might come roaring back with Passive Sensors...

Cripes, the things will shoot up even more on the secondary market if 4x Proton Torpedo/Passive Sensor Nus fit into a list, and anything less than 7 points on Passive Sensors will make it legal.

Might do that as I have 3 of them.  That list seems that it would struggle to do damage though?

Advanced Proton torps do plenty of damage. If they’re Ion’d you know where they’ll be. PS2 makes blocking fairly easy. I’m 6/4 in tournament matches, but I’m capable of better and so is the list :) I’ve faced handbreak Han and quad phantoms and won.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, Flyingbrick said:

I am thinking that the gunboats are an under appreciated platform that might be starting to come of age.

Yeah - they're tough as old boots with 7 health behind 2 agility, incredibly mobile with SLAM and being able to rock ordnance and/or cannons means they can be punchy as well.  The key to using them well depends on your plan though, and how the Gunboats fit in with the rest of your list.

I faced a mid-range Vynder build at the UK SOS.  AdSLAM, XG-1, Ion Cannon and Outmaneuver.  He was an insane flanker.  You know you can't ignore him, because with Outmaneuver and an Ion Cannon he's going to disrupt your movement phase and leave you a sitting duck.  But taking down a 7 health ship with 3+ agility (thanks to Vynder's ability) and Focus is a tough ask - and that's even before you take into account his ability to potentially SLAM out of arc.  The longer you spend trying to take him down, the longer the rest of the Imperial list has to cause damage.  You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:17 AM, Vergaul said:

Welcome to the game, great to see another fan of the PC games on the forum.  I feel your pain, because we were waiting for the Gunboat for a long, long time.

The wait was worth it, though.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:13 AM, agenttherock said:

Can we petition ffg to print the second edition gun boat?

The XG-1 Assault Gunboat Will Return. /postcredits

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:05 AM, william1134 said:

I loved those HLC gunboats and am really not a fan of having to have a huge amount of upgrades on them to make them viable. 

You don't need to pack Gunboats with huge amounts of upgrades to make them viable, though.  As mentioned above, it depends on the role you plan them for and how well they synergise with the rest of your list.  A Nu with Ion Cannon alone is enough to cause problems and can be a great blocker.

One of the 5-1 lists at the UK SOS featured 2 x Ion Cannon/XG-1/AdSLAM Nus flying alongside Juke Whisper and Juke Echo.  Much like the Vynder build above, these guys can't really be ignored but take quite a long time to whittle down.  These guys make good blockers as well.  Then there was another 5-1 list which made the top 32, a really aggressive Vynder rocking OS-1, Concussion, Advanced Protons and AdSLAM.

If you're really missing HLC Gunboats that much though, you may as well go for Proton Torpedoes.  Takes abit more planning to get the lock, but it's as close as you'll get.  And before you stay "Protons Are Too Expensive Though", 1st Edition HLCs would work out at 14 points each.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Yeah sounds like Vynder in particular is the perfect flanker for another ace like Vader or even Soontier. I do wonder how well he or another pilot would pair with a Decimator?

Edited by Flyingbrick
word changes

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:05 AM, william1134 said:

It's not really a lot of upgrades, even for the nasty Hatchetman Vynder- he comes out to 64 points, which is a decent price for the 7 health, 3 Agility (as long as he's disarmed), and an average of 4 red dice thrown on attack. If you drop him down to a Nu Squadron with just the OS-1 config, Protorps, FCS, and AdSlam you're looking at 49 points for a nasty I2 blocker/flanker. Compared to what you have to pay for something like a Defender, you get a lot of work out of the platform for a decent amount of points. Its a good slot-filling ship, one that can slot into an Aces list and do work as either a distraction from your Aces (the enemy can't ignore a torp-laden gunboat) or a good wingman for a more expensive and usually faster flanker. 

On 5/17/2019 at 2:14 PM, Flyingbrick said:

Yeah i have looked on the secondary market for these things. And it is crazy what people are both asking for and paying for them for now. 

Don't be fooled, I've seen a lot of goons trying to sell them for anywhere between $50-100, but I'm not convinced any of them have actually been sold for that much.  One guy on the FB Sale groups keeps posting a picture of 4 of them and saying "only three left" as if some moron actually bought one at his crazy inflated price, but he could easily just be trying to give the impression that he sold one at that price  to trick other might-be buyers.  And never underestimate "sock-puppet" bidding/buying on Ebay to drive a false sense of value.

The local FLGS here has all their 1st Edition at 40% off, and they've had multiple Gunboats sitting there at $8 for months now.  And we're in a pretty strong X-Wing region, with a lot of folks playing Extended.  So I call bull**** on these things selling for $50+ dollars.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

43 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

The local FLGS here has all their 1st Edition at 40% off, and they've had multiple Gunboats sitting there at $8 for months now.  And we're in a pretty strong X-Wing region, with a lot of folks playing Extended.  So I call bull**** on these things selling for $50+ dollars.

You buy those things and I guarantee many people here would be willing to pay MSRP + shipping costs. I’d buy one for $20.

There definitely aren’t any in the 6 stores we have that sell X-Wing here, and online doesn’t seem like the way to go 

21 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Don't be fooled, I've seen a lot of goons trying to sell them for anywhere between $50-100, but I'm not convinced any of them have actually been sold for that much.  One guy on the FB Sale groups keeps posting a picture of 4 of them and saying "only three left" as if some moron actually bought one at his crazy inflated price, but he could easily just be trying to give the impression that he sold one at that price  to trick other might-be buyers.  And never underestimate "sock-puppet" bidding/buying on Ebay to drive a false sense of value.

I would like to agree with you on this, but too many times when there wasn’t enough product to go around it has happened, and will happen again. I remember when Tie Interceptors and A-Wings first came on the scene and couldn’t be found anywhere, insane prices on the bay and people were paying them. It happened again late in the 1.0 game with K-Wings, people were paying $50+ each to get Miranda or more copies of TLT. I’ve seen all manner of ships out of stock and they bring insane prices on this game as well as Armada. I’m not saying the guy listing three with a pic of four is not telling the truth, but I’ve seen it too many times to discount the story just because it sounds crazy. When these discussions come up there is always people who have them or have seen them in a local store, but that is not the norm. You are familiar with the old saying a fool and his money are soon parted? Some people will want something and have no patience to wait for a reprint or reissue and will pay what people asking. It’s been going on for years in this game and will continue for as long as desire still exists.

I guess it’s carry over from the early years of the game, when a wave is released I grab however many copies of a ship I believe I want because it could be gone and cost twice or triple the price when they are gone