Arctitian

Building a squad around Wedge Antilles

Hi,

Post-regionals I've been looking forward to trying out Wedge Antilles again, I used to fly him a lot with BB8 and now I think Expertise and FAA are good options on him... I'd like to fly him with other small ships preferably but I find Lowhhrick a bit boring. Anyway this is what I came up with, any suggestions to improve? General idea is that Poe flanks and Wedge and Fenn stick together both using FAA at high PS, Fenn can give Wedge a TL through coordinate (even vs PS10) and/or reduce the effectiveness of incoming fire for the round. Wedge keeps a defensive focus by using Expertise.

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Advanced Optics (2)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Expertise (4)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Adaptability (0)
Tactician (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Cheers!

Edited by Arctitian

That build is super fun and really sings with a bid.

Another way to run wedge with a bit more alpha:

Remember Cruise cant add an extra die from Jan Ors but Plasma Torps sure can and boy does Jake have more fun throwing 3 dice. Drop the torps for vectored on Jan if you are having trouble staying in range of the other ships for some reason or bump Jake up to Tycho for PS10 Cruise.

99 pts of Wedge With Weapons

Wedge Antilles — X-Wing 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Flight-Assist Astromech 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 34

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 24
Veteran Instincts 1
Cruise Missiles 3
Push the Limit 3
Autothrusters 2
A-Wing Test Pilot 0
Ship Total: 33

Jan Ors — HWK-290 25
Adaptability 0
Twin Laser Turret 6
Nien Nunb 1
Ship Total: 32

Edited by Boom Owl

Wedge is one of my favourite characters in Star Wars and I love finding ways to put him in a list. This is the list I’m currently going with:

Wedge Antilles

VI

FAA

Poe Dameron (PS9)

VI

R2D2

Black One

Advanced Optics

Autothrusters

Fenn Rau

VI

R2 Astromech

Tactician

Total: 98 points.

Having 3 ships at PS 11 is very powerful, especially with Fenn being able to co-ordinate. I usually shoot with him and Poe first to hopefully strip tokens to allow wedge the more powerful shot. 

Good luck, and let us know what works for you! Always good to see fellow Wedge fans on here!

This is my favourite build right now. 

Aces  (99)

•Fenn Rau (27) - Sheathipede-class Shuttle
Veteran Instincts (1), Weapons Engineer (3), •M9-G8 (3)

•Wedge Antilles (31) - X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), Flight-Assist Astromech (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

•Poe Dameron (41) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), •BB-8 (2), Advanced Optics (2), •Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Norra Wexley (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Rey (2)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 99

The above is more of a just-for-fun suggestion, 3 ships that can hit hard, reposition to get shots, and do weird stuff decently-but-not-really-well in an end-game role.

As far as your listed setup: I think the wildly disparate pilot skills is a problem.  Not having the flexibility to choose who moves when really limits your comfort levels in a furball, and makes getting the right coordinates with Fenn difficult.  I'd recommend getting everybody up at 11, losing the regen on Poe, and adding a little bit of punch back in:

Wedge Antilles (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
BB-8 (2)
Advanced Optics (2)
Guidance Chips (0)
Black One (1)

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) (20)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Rey (2)

Total: 100

You'll suffer a bit from no init bid vs. other 11-heavy squads, but beyond that you more or less have all of your bases covered.

Thanks for the suggestions. PS11 makes a lot of sense for the repositioning and flexibility. I like the idea of Rey on Fenn to have a focus + coordinate. I suppose regen Poe is not as vital in a 3-ship list and ordnance could make up for it. I will try some combination of these out, cheers.

I'm going to have to join the chorus saying that Poe-9 and Fenn Rau are both excellent wingmates for Wedge, especially with Veteran Instincts all around.  A PS11 flight group can often out-fox a harpoon squad by staying out of range/arc until they need to make their strike, and with enough of an initiative bid, Poe can work wonders at removing key target locks.  Here's my current thought (very similar to @tonycanevaro...)

• Wedge Antilles, Veteran Instincts, Flight Assist Astromech, Integrated Astromech (31 total)
  • Poe Dameron (PS9), Veteran Instincts, Black One, BB-8, Advanced Optics, Integrated Astromech (39 total)
  • Fenn Rau, Veteran Instincts, M9-G8, Weapons Engineer (27 total)
  • 97 points for a 3-point bid

I do feel the lack of Autothrusters on Poe, especially against turrets, but I feel that in my local meta, the initiative bid is important enough to keep.  Poe REALLY wants to move with the last group of ships, you know. ;)

So with M9-G8 Fenn, I'm assuming you TL both Wedge and Poe on the first round, so they have a mini-TL?  In which case you don't really need to coordinate, just focus from then on? I did try that build once, but it seems to fit really well here with Wedge and Poe both needing rerolls. Of course you could TL the enemy too, but it seems more efficient here to TL friendlies, right?

8 hours ago, Arctitian said:

So with M9-G8 Fenn, I'm assuming you TL both Wedge and Poe on the first round, so they have a mini-TL?  In which case you don't really need to coordinate, just focus from then on? I did try that build once, but it seems to fit really well here with Wedge and Poe both needing rerolls. Of course you could TL the enemy too, but it seems more efficient here to TL friendlies, right?

I always TL Wedge & Poe turn 1. Being able to reroll one red dice each for free is awesome. Usually the coordinate is for Wedge Focus/TL If you have to K turn Wedge you still have the reroll from M9G8. 

Or: you use Fenn to give Poe a boost action prior to pulling a talon roll is pretty fun too :) Then with M9G8 reroll and perms focus from advanced optics you can still hit decently hard.

im no where near good at flying this nor do I play in tournaments much but I really enjoy flying this. And it has won more than it’s lost, which in my inexperienced hands means it’s a pretty forgiving list.

11 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

I'm going to have to join the chorus saying that Poe-9 and Fenn Rau are both excellent wingmates for Wedge, especially with Veteran Instincts all around.  A PS11 flight group can often out-fox a harpoon squad by staying out of range/arc until they need to make their strike, and with enough of an initiative bid, Poe can work wonders at removing key target locks.  Here's my current thought (very similar to @tonycanevaro...)

• Wedge Antilles, Veteran Instincts, Flight Assist Astromech, Integrated Astromech (31 total)
  • Poe Dameron (PS9), Veteran Instincts, Black One, BB-8, Advanced Optics, Integrated Astromech (39 total)
  • Fenn Rau, Veteran Instincts, M9-G8, Weapons Engineer (27 total)
  • 97 points for a 3-point bid

I do feel the lack of Autothrusters on Poe, especially against turrets, but I feel that in my local meta, the initiative bid is important enough to keep.  Poe REALLY wants to move with the last group of ships, you know. ;)

With Poe banking the focus, he's just as likely to be taking a target lock as his action, so I'm not sure Weapons Engineer is the best here. Hotshot copilot on Fenn is brutality.

25 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

With Poe banking the focus, he's just as likely to be taking a target lock as his action, so I'm not sure Weapons Engineer is the best here. Hotshot copilot on Fenn is brutality.

At the same time, that opens up Poe to a coordinated Boost (before or after his maneuver), which not only gives him additional maneuverability, it also strips a target lock from someone nearby.  Or, you can coordinate a focus onto Wedge right before he needs to K-turn.

Still, HSCP would be rather amusing on Fenn, too.  Maybe this?

• Fenn Rau (27 points total)
    • Veteran Instincts - for PS 11
    • Hotshot Co-Pilot - for stripping focus tokens
    • R3 Astromech - for turning his arguably poor attacks into some defensive capabilities

15 hours ago, tonycanevaro said:

This is my favourite build right now. 

Aces  (99)

•Fenn Rau (27) - Sheathipede-class Shuttle
Veteran Instincts (1), Weapons Engineer (3), •M9-G8 (3)

•Wedge Antilles (31) - X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), Flight-Assist Astromech (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

•Poe Dameron (41) - T-70 X-Wing
Veteran Instincts (1), •BB-8 (2), Advanced Optics (2), •Black One (1), Autothrusters (2)

This. So much this.

I too like the thought of Hotshot Copilot on Fenn Rau.

If you swapped it for Tactician, you could make up the points by replacing Expertise with VI for Fenn and Wedge.

Poe at 43 points with R2-D2/VI/Optics stays the same.

At least, that's how I'd build the list.  I've also thought about VI/FAA/Pulsed Ray Shield/Nein Nunb on Fenn Rau, to get him back an HP or two; this also gets a 1 point bid for the list, but does more to restrict Fenn's maneuvers.  He's got FAA to help balance that out, but it won't be perfect.

Edited by theBitterFig

So I've settled on this for a tournament this weekend (100pt total):

Poe Dameron (PS9) — T-70 X-Wing 33
Veteran Instincts 1
R2-D2 4
Advanced Optics 2
Autothrusters 2
Black One 1
Ship Total: 43

Veteran Instincts 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 31

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) — Sheathipede-class Shuttle 20
Veteran Instincts 1
Hotshot Co-pilot 4

Ship Total: 26

I'm trying to work out how best to fly it; debating whether to use Poe as a flanker, who boosts to R1 of the others if he needs to remove TLs, or keep them in a pinwheel formation on the approach using FAA and boost. They work well together in formation, but I'm worried about having to keep Poe in the back and potentially bumping if he needs to use Black One (if he's at the front he'll usually need to move first and his boost will be out of R1). But as a flanker I risk not being able to get Black One to work, or the boost angle might not give me an effective shot...

Thoughts? Cheers.

12 hours ago, Arctitian said:
Poe Dameron (PS9) — T-70 X-Wing 33
Veteran Instincts 1
R2-D2 4
Advanced Optics 2
Autothrusters 2
Black One 1
Ship Total: 43

Veteran Instincts 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 31

Fenn Rau (Sheathipede) — Sheathipede-class Shuttle 20
Veteran Instincts 1
Hotshot Co-pilot 4

Ship Total: 26

My only real concern is that you're running your squad at 100 points, which could get you into trouble against other PS11 teams that go for an initiative bid (like Vader/Quickdraw).  At that point, Black One becomes a nuisance, rather than a serious threat, to your opponent's plans.  I love your Wedge and Fenn Rau builds, but I would look into options for slimming down Poe a little.  Here are two ways to save 2 points for your initiative bid:

• If you replace R2-D2 with BB-8, you lose the ability to regen, but it gives you lots more maneuverability, and a second opportunity to remove a target lock.
  • Dropping Autothrusters to Integrated Astromech makes Poe more vulnerable to turrets, but makes him a bit tougher.

Thanks @emeraldbeacon. Like you say, I think the squad is mostly set up well, there not much else I want to change on Wedge or Fenn without swapping out a ship entirely.

Having flown it properly in a tournament for the first time I decided that I'd prefer to flank with Poe, because flying them in formation is just too predictable and easy to deal with, especially with harpoon gunboats (and even then it was difficult to organise a good boost that would still get Poe a decent shot and clear a TL on Fenn). With Poe as a flanker, there's a tough choice for the opponent to make about who to engage. In one game, Poe alone still managed to kill of two of three gunboats while evading PS11 Quickdraw (who I gave initiative to having won the roll) and using regen vs 100pt of a list which had taken little damage in the first engagement, which shows his late game potential if the others do enough work. Being in a formation limits his manoeuvrability and all he really gains is the ability to remove TLs on others (not always easy) and a possible coordinate, which often is actually better on Wedge. Fenn also needs a defensive focus to not evaporate vs a lot of things.

I might even try running them all semi-independently as individual 'aces', using PS11 and FAA/Boost to get constant shots from different directions, while keeping Fenn within striking distance of R2 for coordinate if really essential. That would give me  a lot of freedom and flexibilty considering i don't really gain that much really from formation flying.

I see your point about initiative and you're probably right, and BB8 Poe would give him a lot of flanking options, but makes him less of a late-game powerhouse without being able to run and regen when needed; AT are very nice on Poe making him extremely difficult to hit vs primaries at R3 and giving him a buffer against dreaded TLTs... hmm. At least with losing ATs I gain a free 0 pt upgrade, so maybe I'll try that and see how it goes, since I'm pretty used to regen Poe right now, but BB8 Poe is also quite fun so maybe worth a try.

The other problem with this list is that when Fenn+Hotshot works, he's brutal, but there are times when a list simply doesn't really care about focus or TL tokens, in which case he's doubly useless. But I want to stick with him for now and see how it goes.