Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

Or you could simulate missions many times to see as many deployment units as possible, print screen the instruction box (mainly for the various bonuses and at the same time to see what are the instruction patterns.  From my little experience, most units seem to have 3 different bonuses.  Some only 2 (like IG-88) while certain elites have 4) then manually reactivate the same unit until you have seen all of its bonuses (print screen each time you see an instruction list with a new bonus).   

Now, when a Wampa is deployed by the app on desert tile, keep it but just replace it by another unit of your choice on your physical board.  Now, when the app activates the Wampa, go to your folder where you saved all the print screens, pick the ones from the unit you deployed instead of the Wampa, and randomly select a print screen that corresponds to that replacement unit (roll a die?).  Obviously you will have to ignore everything that is between "" on your print screen.  I suppose you could use the target of the Wampa for your replacement unit if it makes sense.

Am I a bit freak?  Yeah it happens sometimes when a certain app deploy Snowtroopers on a jungle map or a Wampa on a desert map ;)

I like your idea. I probably won't do this because 1) I'd feel like I was messing with game balance, 2)  it sounds like a lot of work and then I might as well be IP and 3) it takes some of the mystery out of the game (I mean I just want to be a simple rebel player for a change experiencing the game:). But, it's good thinking and might be an option for folks that want to go that route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

I like your idea. I probably won't do this because 1) I'd feel like I was messing with game balance, 2)  it sounds like a lot of work and then I might as well be IP and 3) it takes some of the mystery out of the game (I mean I just want to be a simple rebel player for a change experiencing the game:). But, it's good thinking and might be an option for folks that want to go that route.

I totally understand why someone would not want to do this and you bring fair points against it.  I don't want to make you change your mind but 

1) You could replace a Wampa by a unit having a similar deployment cost.  You could even ensure it has the same number of units to avoid replacing a single unit by a group of 2/ units.  And you can randomize the replacement unit (draw a deployment card from a sub-deck that has units similar to the Wampa)

2) Yes it was (still is .. but I'm almost done!) a lot of work.  I don't have arguments against that.  But I was (and still am) quite motivated so it's been fun doing it, especially to see what changes have been brought to the units.  Do not think or yourself as an IP, but more as a rebel infiltrator :P

3) Yeah that's true.  But the mysteries will be gone soon or later.  Besides, you might know what are the clawdite shapeshifter possible bonuses, but if you randomly select it, you won't know which one will come out.

 But again, I understand this might not work for everyone and that's fine.  And in the ideal world I wouldn't have to do this and you wouldn't have to remove blisters and boxes from your collection.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2018 at 8:15 PM, Master Wang said:

Hmm... the posts about bizarre deployments are kind of putting me off starting a new campaign with the update.  For now, I have restricted myself to villain packs from the core set, ISB infiltrators, Blaise, Boba, Dengar, Hired Guns and Somos.  I will miss out on heroes and items, but the weirdest thing showing up in a strange place will probably just be a nexu.  I really play for the story feel, so if these issues don’t get dealt with, I fear the app may not be for me after all.

So I did my idea above and the first mission was pretty thematic: Lots of troopers and officers, with a couple of ISBs turning up near the end.  Only one non-Imperial showed - Dengar.  That seemed okay as you could imagine the Empire quickly slapping huge bounties on the rebels after they blew up their new toy.  I play on weekends with my son, so hopefully by the time we are done with the campaign, there will be an update that fixes some of these issues, or a new campaign written in a way that they aren't a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, a1bert said:

The are just nicknamed Snowtroopers, they are really environment experts. Heck, they even have medic training (and a supply of circuit boards for Sentry Droids).

 

Though I sensed a smudge of Scandinavian-sarcasm in this I had to look it up. According to wookipedia: "Cold weather assault stormtroopers, commonly known as snowtroopers or simply stormtroopers, were the elite stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire trained and equipped to operate in frigid environments such as the icy planet of Hoth"- so you're right: snowtrooper is a sort of nickname.

So, point taken. Also, the FO did take 'snowtroopers" to Crait, which was not snow covered (but perhaps cold). Maybe a little wiggle room here- I mean some deserts could be totally frozen I imagine. 

So, I guess this leads me to a third possibility: we just all need to buy a second (or third) set of each thing and repaint them to fit into the environment. Sand-colored "cold weather assault stormtroopers" and brown and black Wampas (now Ewok hybrids).:P 

 

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

So, point taken. Also, the FO did take 'snowtroopers" to Crait, which was not snow covered (but perhaps cold). Maybe a little wiggle room here- I mean some deserts could be totally frozen I imagine. 

You don't have to imagine it: the Gobi Desert can hit -40 in the winter, but usually stays a little "warmer" (but still way below freezing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spidey NZ said:

it just needs a re-randomise button, so people can pick again  if its not matching theme.... or just work on a theme algorithm (which is way harder)

Or perhaps the highly requested “undo” button could also rerun the randomization:)

just so long as you didn’t abuse this like “oh no elite E web...undo”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

it just needs a re-randomise button, so people can pick again  if its not matching theme.... or just work on a theme algorithm (which is way harder)

It would possibly be the most straight forward solution from our "outsiders" point of view (I'm no programmer) .   

However, I suspect, the app deals internally with the amount of threat it has available to spend during a deployment.  I've seen that a lot where during the first deployment you can see many figure icons cycling randomly then after that, the choices reduce due to remaining hidden threat being lower.  It make sense.  There must be some internal calculations that will tell the app "Ok now is the time to randomly deploy a group costing no less than 8 threat, let's see what we have available according to the collection selection ..."  I would presume a "re-randomise" button may bring its layers of complexity to implement but I doubt it is something unfeasible.  

I don't see the issue about skipping (cheating!) certain units that "one does not want to face" with a re-deployment button.  It's not like you can ignore the insane amount of damage Darth Vader throws at your last healthy rebel hero ... oh wait(!) ;)    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I challenge people to think differently about this. You need to role play more. 

Imagine your Rebels desperately battling imperial troops in the jungle. The battle has been tense, wounds inflicted on each side. All of the sudden through the vines, humidity, and muck emerges... a Wampa!!! What is happening? How did this come to be? Rallying, you obliterate the creature only to hear the telltale sound of a Bantha stampede and the battle cry of its Tusken rider! The Empire is sparing NO EXPENSE to murderize you, importing beasts from all over the galaxy to impede your progress. 

Yeah that’s the stuff...

Edited by KalEl814

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KalEl814 said:

the battle cry of its Tusken rider! The Empire is sparing NO EXPENSE to murderize you, importing beasts from all over the galaxy to impede your progress. 

Yeah that’s the stuff...

that is a bit of a stretch to be honest.

my role plays function a little differently, more in keeping with the lore. I have my tuskens and some creatures fight the empire also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

that is a bit of a stretch to be honest.

my role plays function a little differently, more in keeping with the lore. I have my tuskens and some creatures fight the empire also

You need to go deeper.

The Wampas raised Kayn Somos! Abandoned on Hoth at a young age by his parents, part of the Coruscant aristocracy who thought he was a little short to be a Stormtrooper, he sought refuge in an ice cave where he met the beasts that would raise him. Discovered later by Imperial Probe Droids, he kept the Wampas as his personal guards. 

The Tusken Raiders were brought to Imperial deployments to sate Vader’s bloodlust, the ISB knowing that Vader liked killing nothing more than Sandpeople because they’re coarse and get everywhere. 

Or FFG could git gud, both are solid options. :P

Edited by KalEl814

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It fair to say that anyone who has been IP has had to explain to their rebels that the reason the Nexu are not attacking the imperials is that they are OBVIOUSLY cybernetically  augmented and have shock collars that make them serve as a type of guard dog. 

Also, a good point that has been made is that some people won't mind (or may even want) as many different random figures deployed as possible. Maybe they spent a lot on RtH and it's the only expansion they own and they want to play with the Wampa that they hand painted. Or maybe they just don't care. This is why (months ago) I suggested that they should have a toggle button for timeline and habitat restrictions, which would be selected at the beginning of the campaign. Of course FFG never listens to me:P

Also also: I think it's a good reminder that I'm super happy with the app. I'm playing through my first app campaign and I can't wait for the next mission. I certainly can't wait to hear what the next app-driven box expansion will be! None of these issues ruin the game and I wouldn't let it deter you from buying or playing the app! I'd just like to see it improved so that it's a little more immersive.

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

It fair to say that anyone who has been IP has had to explain to their rebels that the reason the Nexu are not attacking the imperials is that they are OBVIOUSLY cybernetically  augmented and have shock collars that make them serve as a type of guard dog. 

Exactly!

”Wait why the heck is that Rancor on the side of the Empire? And why are the stormtroopers just walking up to it knowing they’ll be eaten?!?”

”The Rancor? Oh you mean Randi? These Stormies are part of an Imperial death cult. They willingly sacrifice themselves to earn the Emperor’s favor. And Randi knows that if she slaps the Rebels around long enough she’ll dine on delicious orphan meat.”

”...”

”So Randi activates and eats a Stormie, then will slap the bejeezus out of you.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

Also, a good point that has been made is that some people won't mind (or may even want) as many different random figures deployed as possible. Maybe they spent a lot on RtH and it's the only expansion they own and they want to play with the Wampa that they hand painted. Or maybe they just don't care. This is why (months ago) I suggested that they should have a toggle button for timeline and habitat restrictions, which would be selected at the beginning of the campaign. Of course FFG never listens to me:P

I'm just going to throw in a +1 for this post!  Personally I don't care how much it does or doesn't break the lore; I'm much happier to have a greater variety of enemy abilities to play against.  With that said, I haven't spoken up on this thread before because I totally get why other people would feel differently.  Making a habitat fix but making it optional would really be the best way to go.

Edited by ManateeX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I'm considering is rebasing some of my WotC Star Wars Miniatures onto a Wampa-sized base and using them to sub in for IA minis that seem out-of-place. For example, the Rakghoul or the Vornskr would be a good all-weather monster and wouldn't break the visual theme. Just use the Wampa's stats and AI and sub in the non-yeti miniature.

I agree, though. This is something that FFG should fix. I hate to be that guy, but I really struggle with the cognitive dissonance in X-wing in seeing Poe Dameron face off against Darth Vader in a dogfight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, E Minor said:

I agree, though. This is something that FFG should fix. I hate to be that guy, but I really struggle with the cognitive dissonance in X-wing in seeing Poe Dameron face off against Darth Vader in a dogfight.

 

Or a squadron that includes Vader and Kylo (Bring-your-grand-son-at-work day).  

  

On 1/30/2018 at 6:26 PM, KalEl814 said:

I challenge people to think differently about this. You need to role play more. 

As you say it can be challenging sometimes.  When I was a kid I had wrestling figures.  When I was playing with them it was a no-brainer that my Hulk Hogan figure would always compete for the world title.  It was just "not right" otherwise because that is what the WWF (back then) implanted in my mind.

FFG did something similar with Wampas and Tusken Raiders by tagging them with the keyword "habitat".  Therefore imagining a Wampa on desert tiles does not make sense to us, just like we wouldn't expect to see a camel in Antarctica.    But the reason I am a bit more open-minded with Star Wars is because we are talking about a whole far, far away galaxy.  The movies, comic books, novels, video games, board games, etc, only showed us a tiny portion of that galaxy.  Wampas (or a similar species may exists on a desert planet).  So I can live with FFG dropping the keyword "habitat" for the purpose of the app.

But really, the best of both worlds would call for FFG to enable the option to choose if we want Wampas to appear on non-ice planets even if it means temporarily banning them from our campaign (at least until they release a RtH driven app campaign).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try to remove them from your collection and that may work. I still have not played the app and from what I have been seeing I just might not use the app at all.

2 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

Is there anyway to revert back to the first version of the app?

I'd like to finish the campaign I started without all the new units BUT I'm using heroes and items from other expansions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Armandhammer said:

Is there anyway to revert back to the first version of the app?

I'd like to finish the campaign I started without all the new units BUT I'm using heroes and items from other expansions. 

If you're using the app on Android you can try (at your own risk) finding the apk file of the previous version (1.0.1) somewhere online.  Be sure to backup and restore your saved game at "Android\data\com.fantasyflightgames.iaca\files\SavedGames".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, supersayian said:

I would try to remove them from your collection and that may work.

This won't work.  He is using heroes and items from the expansions he would like to remove.

27 minutes ago, supersayian said:

I still have not played the app and from what I have been seeing I just might not use the app at all.

You're missing out on a good time. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dwaynedauzat said:

This won't work.  He is using heroes and items from the expansions he would like to remove.

You're missing out on a good time. :unsure:

Well that depends. I just have not got around to trying out the app yet. I just keep reading of problems people have with the app and not really liking the way it plays from what I have been reading. I have it on my laptop with just the core and wave one figures added to the collection. I want to try it that way first before I add anything else. It just depends on how it plays if I continue using it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×