Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Meanie

How Many Gozantis Does a Fella Need?

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

There's just something about this ship and its versatility that make me want to see it revisited again by FFG.  We need this version:

 

latest?cb=20151130023344

c95b047cccca7f1a72a03cd96e6a9481.jpg

 

And I love this "heavy lifter" kit-bash:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/266112-gozanti-gunship/

 

Honestly it would need something special rules wise, small base bonus wise, and model wise to even get me to have mild interest.

1/3 of the epics right now are gozantis. Maybe after a scum corvette and 1 or 2 more imp and rebel epics and it would be worth a revisit.

 

Those would be some slick conversion and repaints though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 to 2 is the general standard. 2 is a full flotilla and unless you are trying to make an Armada of Gozantis or recreate a 3 Gozanti scene from Rebels you should be good.

As for your pictures, I think a C-roc might be the better foundation to remodel and convert into the Gozanti you see there.

Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

1 to 2 is the general standard. 2 is a full flotilla and unless you are trying to make an Armada of Gozantis or recreate a 3 Gozanti scene from Rebels you should be good.

As for your pictures, I think a C-roc might be the better foundation to remodel and convert into the Gozanti you see there.

The croc -is- a gozanti.

One is a gozanti imperial assault carrier the other is a gozanti independent transport

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I saw it. My first thought was "Oh wow. No way at all that allowing 360° shot with any hardpoint with maul crew would be broken/s"

 

It's part of my problem with home made ships and rules. They're almost never balanced and almost never account for all the interactions in a game This big. And they're rarely consistent. Anyone I would show that "kit" (pdf) to would immediately say "you have a croc why not just use that?" Then take one look and be like "No. No I don't feel like playing against 360 turbolaser zuckuss maul 4lom that's rough enough on a croc firing from arc"

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

How much physical space do you have to store said ships?

An entire bedroom closet :)

2 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Remodelling one, that's tempting. :)

Yeah, I like the look of the Black Sun one. . .but it's the front of an Imperial carrier mated to the modified rear of a C-ROC.  A bit out of my skill range.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

1 to 2 is the general standard. 2 is a full flotilla and unless you are trying to make an Armada of Gozantis or recreate a 3 Gozanti scene from Rebels you should be good.

Well, I have run 3 at a time already. . .

10 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

It's part of my problem with home made ships and rules. They're almost never balanced and almost never account for all the interactions in a game This big.

Yeah, complete ****.  Almost reminds me of this game called X-Wing Miniatures. :lol:

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You crack wise but for about the same price as a 3 dice r1-3 gozanti turret you get a 4 dice with focus result mod and rerolls without TL turret range 3-5 (much bigger footprint) having access to say... Darth Vader just to guarantee damage and still have space to supercharge it or what have you. Ffg might not have perfect balance but I'd rather be slapped by an OP combo the devs made than the OP combo some guy made up so that the gr 75 can beat out both the croc and IAC on the gunnery front.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

You crack wise but for about the same price as a 3 dice r1-3 gozanti turret you get a 4 dice with focus result mod and rerolls without TL turret range 3-5 (much bigger footprint) having access to say... Darth Vader just to guarantee damage and still have space to supercharge it or what have you. Ffg might not have perfect balance but I'd rather be slapped by an OP combo the devs made than the OP combo some guy made up so that the gr 75 can beat out both the croc and IAC on the gunnery front.  

It's all true.  Which only allows me to jump on another soap box:

This is why it is important to FFG to officially support all aspects of the game, not just 100/6.  A lot of people play this game in many other ways, and if you want to be able to see this happen at the FLGS, it needs to be official!

Sure, I can head to Strange Eons and make a card for Blue Squadron X-Wing Pilot for my Battle of Scarif scenario, and it would probably be fine, but all of these story elements need to come from the top even if they do not do anything novel for tournament players.

Like a new Gozanti variant, just to bring it around to the OP.

------

And, why can't the GR-75 be a scum ship?  Given there are so few Huge ships, cross-over would be nice.  How about an Imperial CR-90 patch?:

96fd15f69369e6397f0c12f063795b5f8cdda418

Edited by Darth Meanie
added cross over idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Yes I saw it. My first thought was "Oh wow. No way at all that allowing 360° shot with any hardpoint with maul crew would be broken/s"

 

It's part of my problem with home made ships and rules. They're almost never balanced and almost never account for all the interactions in a game This big. And they're rarely consistent. Anyone I would show that "kit" (pdf) to would immediately say "you have a croc why not just use that?" Then take one look and be like "No. No I don't feel like playing against 360 turbolaser zuckuss maul 4lom that's rough enough on a croc firing from arc"

So, just go to Strange Eons and tweak it to your liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

It's all true.  Which only allows me to jump on another soap box:

This is why it is important to FFG to officially support all aspects of the game, not just 100/6.  A lot of people play this game in many other ways, and if you want to be able to see this happen at the FLGS, it needs to be official!

Sure, I can head to Strange Eons and make a card for Blue Squadron X-Wing Pilot for my Battle of Scarif scenario, and it would probably be fine, but all of these story elements need to come from the top even if they do not do anything novel for tournament players.

Like a new Gozanti variant, just to bring it around to the OP.

------

And, why can't the GR-75 be a scum ship?  Given there are so few Huge ships, cross-over would be nice.  How about an Imperial CR-90 patch?:

96fd15f69369e6397f0c12f063795b5f8cdda418

I'm actually not entirely against scum gr75. It's giving a gr75 2 hardpoints or even just 1 hardpoint, and then giving it 360° turret for any hard point weapon that I'm against. That's not a gr75. Those things were unarmed haulers. It's not thematic, it's not anything like balanced, it's not necessary as you can build both shooting and support epic builds for scum with an official product that also thematically fits.

So taking all that in it just reads as an excuse to make the gr75 an OP gunship. 

 

Let's be real here if ya wanted to run a scum gr75 I betcha more people would be ok with just plugging the existing gr75 into a scum list than designing your own super gr75 gunboat of doom.

 

As for cross over patches I find the idea a bit silly cause where do ya go? Imperial t65s because that's who they were built for? Rebel interceptors and bombers cause resistance has same dealer? Just say "F it" and give every faction every ship because why not? There are loads of untapped huge ships on screen star wars and eu. We dont need to reuse the same 4 over and over.

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Yes I saw it. My first thought was "Oh wow. No way at all that allowing 360° shot with any hardpoint with maul crew would be broken/s"

 

It's part of my problem with home made ships and rules. They're almost never balanced and almost never account for all the interactions in a game This big. And they're rarely consistent. Anyone I would show that "kit" (pdf) to would immediately say "you have a croc why not just use that?" Then take one look and be like "No. No I don't feel like playing against 360 turbolaser zuckuss maul 4lom that's rough enough on a croc firing from arc"

This thread's kind-of up my street...and I agree with Dabirdisdaword's sentiments above...in that I think you need to put in a bit of thought...and a 'light touch' when creating your own variants on a ship.

When trying to do the cinematically-canon Gozanti-airframe Krayt's Honor- simply because I liked the look of it...I had the Wookipedia entry to work-on. But clearly you can't just bolt-on everything in the list, because the X-wing game has a pretty carefully-crafted structure of asset and vulnerability in the fleets (of which these pages contain much argument...but that's another thread). The task is to balance it.

The thought process was... <standard Gozanti> ...offensive upgrade in line with available cards...lose docking clamps (which is a big part of the standard Gozanti's offensive capabilty, remember- carrying fighters and bombers right into the fight)...but stop some way short of a CR90 or Raider.

If it's to represent the cinematic canon modified gunship, it clearly needs to have more than one shot per round, or it's simply a fat points-reservoir...and that can be achieved within the nicely balanced epic ships energy rules...firing from both laser and cannon and allowing for a never-ending supply of proton torpedoes- instead of chucking-away the card after single use.

Happy to hear views of those that have tried it...it's a learning experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

I'm actually not entirely against scum gr75. It's giving a gr75 2 hardpoints or even just 1 hardpoint, and then giving it 360° turret for any hard point weapon that I'm against. That's not a gr75. Those things were unarmed haulers. It's not thematic, it's not anything like balanced, it's not necessary as you can build both shooting and support epic builds for scum with an official product that also thematically fits.

So taking all that in it just reads as an excuse to make the gr75 an OP gunship. 

 

Let's be real here if ya wanted to run a scum gr75 I betcha more people would be ok with just plugging the existing gr75 into a scum list than designing your own super gr75 gunboat of doom.

 

As for cross over patches I find the idea a bit silly cause where do ya go? Imperial t65s because that's who they were built for? Rebel interceptors and bombers cause resistance has same dealer? Just say "F it" and give every faction every ship because why not? There are loads of untapped huge ships on screen star wars and eu. We dont need to reuse the same 4 over and over.

actually youre wrong about GR75s. they came standard with light weapons but they often had ion batteries and things attached. the rebels had stripped theirs down by hoth(which is actually where a bunch of the base defences likely came from). a lot of the EU ones were the space equivalent of a Dutch Merchantmen or Spanish Galleon, brawler cargo vessels.  If you dont like em cool, but it is cannon(no pun intended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I still got my big yellow book and I see no weapons on that sucker except the retractable AP one, so maybe a turret slot for tlt or some noise.

Wookieepedia says it had the option of tlt but i dunno the source on that. 

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

As for cross over patches I find the idea a bit silly cause where do ya go? Imperial t65s because that's who they were built for? Rebel interceptors and bombers cause resistance has same dealer? Just say "F it" and give every faction every ship because why not? There are loads of untapped huge ships on screen star wars and eu. We dont need to reuse the same 4 over and over.

Well, no.  First of all, especially for small ships, I would only want to see it if it is in the lore:  Zeta shuttle for Imp and Rebs; the Shuttle Tydirium.  Therre are a ton of small ships to go around.

OTOH, since we have VERY FEW huge ships to choose from, a little crossover could be good.  I mean, there is already noise for a Rebel Raider thanks to the Corvus.  A scum GR-75 would make sense.  So, why not let the Imps have the CR-90?  At $60 to $100 a pop, some faction versatility would be nice.

And my preferred option would be to see a Huge that is released as an option for all factions from the get-go.  The DP-20 frigate would be ideal.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 11:22 AM, Darth Meanie said:

And my preferred option would be to see a Huge that is released as an option for all factions from the get-go.  The DP-20 frigate would be ideal.

I have no idea what a dp-20 is but this is gold. Give scum a larger huge first or the crying will be “epic” then make some factionless huge ships. Crew dictates faction. Your boarding idea could even work here if you had specific crew to take the bridge. Jetisan the old crew and you get at very least a ramming ship. Granted for play balance boarding would have to be A LOT harder to accomplish. Be fun though to switch gears to make sure the opponent can’t board vs blow em all up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

I have no idea what a dp-20 is but this is gold. Give scum a larger huge first or the crying will be “epic” then make some factionless huge ships. Crew dictates faction. Your boarding idea could even work here if you had specific crew to take the bridge. Jetisan the old crew and you get at very least a ramming ship. Granted for play balance boarding would have to be A LOT harder to accomplish. Be fun though to switch gears to make sure the opponent can’t board vs blow em all up.

The DP-20 is also called the Corellian Gunship, it's appeared in several video games, its kinda like a narrow cockpit CR90 with more guns....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 2:12 PM, Dabirdisdaword said:

You crack wise but for about the same price as a 3 dice r1-3 gozanti turret you get a 4 dice with focus result mod and rerolls without TL turret range 3-5 (much bigger footprint) having access to say... Darth Vader just to guarantee damage and still have space to supercharge it or what have you. Ffg might not have perfect balance but I'd rather be slapped by an OP combo the devs made than the OP combo some guy made up so that the gr 75 can beat out both the croc and IAC on the gunnery front.  

lol, Well when I got to work on it was when the Raider was announced and as for the Gozanti and C-roc they were no where to be found. So it wasn't made to go beat up on those ships really, and the firing arc is narrow being on the front and only as wide as an IG-2000 aggressor (which was where I got it from). So yeah it wasn't meant to be an anti-transport transport, not without costing nearly as much as a loaded CR-90/Raider.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:37 PM, Dabirdisdaword said:

I'm actually not entirely against scum gr75. It's giving a gr75 2 hardpoints or even just 1 hardpoint, and then giving it 360° turret for any hard point weapon that I'm against. That's not a gr75. Those things were unarmed haulers. It's not thematic, it's not anything like balanced, it's not necessary as you can build both shooting and support epic builds for scum with an official product that also thematically fits.

So taking all that in it just reads as an excuse to make the gr75 an OP gunship. 

 

Let's be real here if ya wanted to run a scum gr75 I betcha more people would be ok with just plugging the existing gr75 into a scum list than designing your own super gr75 gunboat of doom.

 

As for cross over patches I find the idea a bit silly cause where do ya go? Imperial t65s because that's who they were built for? Rebel interceptors and bombers cause resistance has same dealer? Just say "F it" and give every faction every ship because why not? There are loads of untapped huge ships on screen star wars and eu. We dont need to reuse the same 4 over and over.

To be honest my intentions were to retire it as soon as the C-roc. It was just intended as a stop gap measure to give scum a huge ship in epic and all the huge ship goodies of the other two factions until FFG made a huge ship for scum which was actually a couple of years later. Once the C-roc was announced I updated the old post for the retirement plane yet people still requested that I keep it up. Now that there was a forum for Epic I decided to post it on these forums so I don't have to deal with filedropper purging the link every month.

Still it is all just a bunch of house rule custom cards (like Wedge in an E-wing). Which is why I avoided common cannon names like Jabba and Boba for crew and went with crew that was more fitting to the ship like Tomass Azameen. Heck you could even put them on the C-roc and have Grim Arnswalker throw ion cannons out the back of a C-roc for the cost of an extra energy token.

Still I doubt FFG is going to adopt it (honestly I expect them to do the special edition GR-45  which is what the actual ship on the card we used) so I don't expect it to be in any Epic game set up by OP. Again I am not someone to tell people how to enjoy their game of X-wing (a will tell people to stop crying about _____ ship and _____ pilot and ______ upgrade on the forusm/subreddit though). So treat it like any other house rule, they are either fine or stick to official stuff. It doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Marinealver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...