Sign in to follow this  
Celestial Lizards

XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat

Just a couple of reasons why we need this ship in Armada.

Written by @FTS Gecko of the X-Wing forum:

FFG LORE, PROFILE & ARTWORK

Fantasy Flight Games have already included the profile and created rules and artwork for the XG-1 Assault Gunboat in one of their games - Edge of the Empire, specifically in the "Fly Casual " source book which came out in early 2015.  More recently, the ship has been added to Star Wars: The Card Game in the Scrap Metal Force Pack which was released in December 2016.

Alpha-Class XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat (game rules omitted)

"Designed by Cygnus Spaceworks, the Alpha-class Xg-1 Assault Gunboat is a multipurpose starfighter, excelling at space and planetary attack, interdiction and long-range reconnaissance and patrol.  Unlike the more common TIE series, the Alpha-class is equipped with heavy armour, deflector shields and hyperdrives, though these come at the cost of speed and maneuverabilit, making it a less than stellar dogfighter.  Heavily armed, the Star Wing is more than a match for most threats, disabling them with it's ion cannons to allow for boarding actions or blasting them out of space with it's lasers and concussion missiles.  While used primarily by the Imperial Navy, Star Wings have begun to be employed by Imperial Customs and some planetary defense forces."

Hull Typer/Class:  Assault Starfighter/Alpha-class.

Manufacturer:  Cygnus Spaceworks

Hyperdrive:  Primary: Class 3.  Backup:  None.

Navicomputer:  Yes

Sensor Range:  Short

Ship's Complement:  One pilot

Encumberance Capacity:  8

Passenger Capacity:  0

Consumbales:  Three days,

Price/Rarity:  135,000 credits R/7.

Customization Hard Points:  2

Weapons:  Forward-mounted medium laser cannons,forward mounted ion cannons, forward mounted concussion missile launchers.

assault-gunboat-xg-4_1.jpg

ffg_SWC34_249-3.png

ASSORTED ARTWORK/RENDERINGS:

Xg-1Attack-RECG.jpg

assault_gunboats_by_fj4-d8htsu7.png

sXrywF8.jpg

CONTRIBUTED BY MEL:

pic2446906.jpg
pic2446904.jpg
pic2624527.jpg
pic2624528.jpg

RESURRECTED STARSHIPS' TACTICAL ANALYSIS

My body is ready, FFG...

10 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Possible statline:

3 movement

6 health 

2 blue anti squadron dice

4 black anti-ship dice

Keywords: Bomber, Assault, Heavy

And 36 points.

Just like in X-wing, I wouldnt mind to see 2 variants, one focusing on anti-squad game while the other on anti-ship duty. First needs to be distintc to current ones, especially tie/f,tie/i,and phantoms, and the other shouldnt be op with Sloane(mby 2 red,bomber?)

I realize this has been done like a dozen times at this point, but here's my take

Speed 3
5 Hull
anti-squad 2 red 1 blue snipe
anti-ship 1 red 1 blue bomber
18-20 points

Gives imperials a standard squad with snipe, swingy antisquad output like a slow, clunky dogfighter that can nonetheless unleash wave after wave of concussion missiles, not useless with Sloane but not great, very versatile. 

Edited by OlaphOfTheNorth

4 black antiship lol. So it would be more devastating than an MC30. Or a doublearcing CR90. Or a side arc of an ISD. Please tell me more :)

We all know and love the gunboat and as soon as FFG can figure out something as a counterpart for the Rebels I'm sure we'll have them. But not with 4 black dice for only 36 points.

And doN't forget that while the Gunboat is strong agains ships it's very weak against fighters so it should have a weakness against them.

Edited by Norell

2 hours ago, OlaphOfTheNorth said:

Well, as precedent there's only blue snipe, but every time the keyword appears there's a line of reminder text clarifying exactly what antisquad armament can be used, there's no reason that text can't say "red"

Except it wouldn’t be Snipe.

Itd be RedSnipe. Or PoorSnipe, or BoganSnipe.

It just wouldn’t be Snipe.

Snipe is a rule that involves blue dice.

Just as Counter is a rule that involves blue dice.

as there is no colour variable in the rule - only a numeric variable - changing the colour is, at a minimum, involving to errata the rule.

and it’s easier to just make s new rule at that point for your singular exception...

I mean, red dice aren't really integral to the concept, here, either, blue snipe would be fine, naming it 'schlorp' would also be fine, the idea is to have a fighter that both bombs and can hit squadrons from beyond engagement range at a cost in reduced speed and accuracy compared to extant imperial squadrons; I think there's room in the meta for that and I think this fighter that lots of people seem to love would be a good platform for it.

Edited by OlaphOfTheNorth
called a fighter a ship, amended

The Firespray has the role/stats that I would have already expected out of the Assault Gunboat. Sadly.

What is the Assault Gunboat supposed to do? What is it supposed to be in this game?

The best role for the Assault Gunboat is as a hyperspace raider. In the sims they remembered in, they came in as Imperial reinforcements or dropped out of hyperspace at a distance to conduct bombing raids. I can never recall a time you launched from a capital ship in an Assault Gunboat, I think more often you were coming to help those capital ships.

It's a little too late for "Hyperspace" as a keyword, perhaps to deploy anywhere. Hyperspace Assault essentially does what we'd expect for those fighters, except it must include a capital ship. Rogue IMO is a definite because of how these fighters operate, and Bomber because that was one of their primary missions. If it's up to me:

3 movement
5 health
1 Red, 1 Blue Anti-squadron
2 blue battery

Keywords: Bomber, Rogue

19 points.

7 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

The Firespray has the role/stats that I would have already expected out of the Assault Gunboat. Sadly.

What is the Assault Gunboat supposed to do? What is it supposed to be in this game?

The best role for the Assault Gunboat is as a hyperspace raider. In the sims they remembered in, they came in as Imperial reinforcements or dropped out of hyperspace at a distance to conduct bombing raids. I can never recall a time you launched from a capital ship in an Assault Gunboat, I think more often you were coming to help those capital ships.

It's a little too late for "Hyperspace" as a keyword, perhaps to deploy anywhere. Hyperspace Assault essentially does what we'd expect for those fighters, except it must include a capital ship. Rogue IMO is a definite because of how these fighters operate, and Bomber because that was one of their primary missions. If it's up to me:

3 movement
5 health
1 Red, 1 Blue Anti-squadron
2 blue battery

Keywords: Bomber, Rogue

19 points.

I know you said the Firespray has the stats you want.. but, the stats you provided in lieu of those... are more expensive and worse? The base Firespray is already kind of ho-hum these days, so this gunboat would be called hot garbage right out of the box sadly.

Maybe if it also had Grit... and trade the battery in for 1 blue and 1 black?