Jump to content
Darthain

Roadrunner v Coyote

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, kaffis said:

Don't get me wrong -- I've totally done the math on Simultaneous Orders 2x1 Fire Rune/Storm Sorceress Deepwood Archer squads -- they're 30 points once you pay for Maegan. And for 3 attacks each? It *could* be dangerous. For 132 points you get 3 of them and Maegan with Malcorne's to fish for the 4-unstable turns, and if you hit them and nail all your dice rolls, you'd be talking up to 60 damage a turn, without exhausting anything (I'd probably keep Maegan back to protect her rune-recasting). Which is probably amazing if you hit it, and even pretty respectable if you get more average rolls if your meta is 1-armor bodies. But... I can't bring myself to bank on that.

Storm is 1-3, so not terribly compatible but a good upgrade I often use.  The lack of ReRoll makes it casino though, as it is 3/8 chance of doing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Storm is 1-3, so not terribly compatible but a good upgrade I often use.  The lack of ReRoll makes it casino though, as it is 3/8 chance of doing anything.

That's what makes it so strong on Deepwood Archers: they have built-in Precise 1, allowing them to reroll the Fire Rune attack. Still not something I would base my army around, but in my opinion it's one of the best candidates for Fire Rune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When darnati release, running blocker formations with them with a warsong herald will be really good. It allows Meagan a reroll when firing on an engaged unit, and ups fire rune reliability to 3 rolls minimum.

Scions don't have the meat to hold zerkers very long, even with immobilize. What elves need is the infantry unit to soak some charge time and allow ranged chip damage to add up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

That's what makes it so strong on Deepwood Archers: they have built-in Precise 1, allowing them to reroll the Fire Rune attack. Still not something I would base my army around, but in my opinion it's one of the best candidates for Fire Rune.

 Storm sorceress is not an attack, it is a skill that causes a die roll and a result.  Fire rune is a skill that causes a ranged attack.  Precise gives rerolls during an attack, but sorceress cannot benefit because it isn't one.

 

So yeah, you get to ReRoll the rune, but not the sorceress.

Edited by Darthain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darthain said:

Storm sorceress is not an attack, it is a skill that causes a die roll and a result.  Fire rune is a skill that causes a ranged attack.  Precise gives rerolls during an attack, but sorceress cannot benefit because it isn't one.

I got all turned around, sorry. I thought we were still taking about Fire Rune. I have no valid opinions on Storm Sorceress yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jukey said:

Unless they bring the upgrade for rippers to turn on the innate move, things get real hard to line up then.

You're not wrong.

I'm actually a little disappointed at just how good Dead Sprint is compared to Feeding Frenzy. I would never ever in a million years take FF over DS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

You're not wrong.

I'm actually a little disappointed at just how good Dead Sprint is compared to Feeding Frenzy. I would never ever in a million years take FF over DS.

I think FF May come into its own on the large formations of Rippers (6 or 9 tray). Maybe some crazy dispatch runner build. I’m certainly betting very few people have tried that 9 tray yet. Usually a formation that big gets into and stays in combat. 

 

Dead Sprint is certainly superior in small formations. I’ve used it to great effect to get rippers where I’m forcing opponents to split effort or take a flank charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Church14 said:

I think FF May come into its own on the large formations of Rippers (6 or 9 tray). Maybe some crazy dispatch runner build. I’m certainly betting very few people have tried that 9 tray yet. Usually a formation that big gets into and stays in combat. 

 

Dead Sprint is certainly superior in small formations. I’ve used it to great effect to get rippers where I’m forcing opponents to split effort or take a flank charge. 


Having tried precisely this combination, with Dispatch Runner... nope. It still doesn't work. I totally agree that this is the best concept for its use, and it just falls flat on its face.

By the time you're getting Lethal 2 out of the upgrade you've already pulverized so much of the enemy that the unit in question just isn't benefitting that much.

Compared to Dead Sprint giving the ability to make tight turns or extreme range charges? The two aren't even in the same theoretical ballpark, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

Having tried precisely this combination, with Dispatch Runner... nope. It still doesn't work. I totally agree that this is the best concept for its use, and it just falls flat on its face.
By the time you're getting Lethal 2 out of the upgrade you've already pulverized so much of the enemy that the unit in question just isn't benefitting that much.
Compared to Dead Sprint giving the ability to make tight turns or extreme range charges? The two aren't even in the same theoretical ballpark, IMO.

And the other advantage to Dead Sprint, is that after defeating an enemy, you can cover ground better to reinforce your units that may be separated, and attack another enemy. Even if you got the extra lethal, I doubt there is enough time left in the round to hunt down another unit and use that lethal. Would it be too strong if you gained Lethal 1 for every two trays removed, instead of three?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Church14 said:

I think FF May come into its own on the large formations of Rippers (6 or 9 tray). Maybe some crazy dispatch runner build. I’m certainly betting very few people have tried that 9 tray yet. Usually a formation that big gets into and stays in combat. 

 

Dead Sprint is certainly superior in small formations. I’ve used it to great effect to get rippers where I’m forcing opponents to split effort or take a flank charge. 

The larger the block of rippers, the faster it want to get engaged, which Dead Sprint massively effects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...