s1ickrick

Worlds VS. Coruscant Invitational

Coruscant would be more prestigious IF it was actually covered in any means.

As it stand they are probably even less known than many regionals

1 hour ago, SEApocalypse said:

Worlds > Continentals > Nationals ≈ System Opens > Regionals > Store Championships > Game Night Kits

System Opens in Europe seemed to be more prestigious than nationals, mostly because there were fewer and were larger on average

5 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

System Opens in Europe seemed to be more prestigious than nationals, mostly because there were fewer and were larger on average

That's why I used the roughly equal. There are some rather small nationals in europe, etc not all nationals and not all system opens are equal, but considering that FFG decided the go with mainly systems opens in the united states its seems like they are actively trying to have them as form of compensation against the dozens of european nationals avaible. 

if one event is bigger or smaller than the other depends mostly where it is held and who is organizing it. Heck there are regionals larger than some nationals … actually some of the californian store championships might have been bigger than the smallest nationals, meanwhile the US nationals are most certainly a bigger event than the system open. :)

Sizes of events vary hugely. The upcoming London Regional is approaching 200 players, whereas some Regionals have less than 16 (Trondheim, just before Christmas ?).

Which makes it very hard to assign relative prestige.

Just making a cut or two will do for me!

3 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

That's why I used the roughly equal. There are some rather small nationals in europe, etc not all nationals and not all system opens are equal, but considering that FFG decided the go with mainly systems opens in the united states its seems like they are actively trying to have them as form of compensation against the dozens of european nationals avaible. 

if one event is bigger or smaller than the other depends mostly where it is held and who is organizing it. Heck there are regionals larger than some nationals … actually some of the californian store championships might have been bigger than the smallest nationals, meanwhile the US nationals are most certainly a bigger event than the system open. :)

Keeping on the Europe example, SoS also attracts more international players than Nationals.

Another thing that I didn't point out is that the 2 continentals arent' the same: the NA one is basically just a second USA nationals, while the European, if they keep the promise of moving it around Europe, is more like the old contintet worlds.

Also in Europe there's ETC, which is lesser known to the average players but it's held on great esteem by most of the competitive community

And yeah, in Spain and England there were regionals almost of the size of Worlds

Edited by Sunitsa

7 hours ago, Shenannigan said:

Who would win in a fight: Nand’s mustache or Paul’s pistachios?

091207-moustachio.jpg

9 hours ago, Estarriol said:

To be honest, I believe the UK System Open is shaping up to be the biggest x-wing event so far, so on those grounds it should be the most prestigious...

What are we up to, 540 players registered now?  (I think the initial allocation was 420, with another 120 added from the reserve list?).  The events just can't keep up with demand in the UK; pretty much all the Regionals sold out straight away with 120+ players - many could easily have sold more tickets but just didn't have the capacity.  The Euros goes on sale at the end of the month as well.

23 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Keeping on the Europe example, SoS also attracts more international players than Nationals.

Belgium, the netherlands and maybe this year even the UK nationals seem not fully to agree. :)

The big ones in general attracted a lot of international players … as long as the event and the location are looking good. The one exception seems to be gencon, because why go to gencon, when you could go instead to worlds? :)

18 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Belgium, the netherlands and maybe this year even the UK nationals seem not fully to agree. :)

The big ones in general attracted a lot of international players … as long as the event and the location are looking good. The one exception seems to be gencon, because why go to gencon, when you could go instead to worlds? :)

They still pales compared to last year SoS. I'm not saying nationals are "locals only events", but usually people has a Nationals closer to home than a SoS.

Even the UK national is probably attracting fewer international players than the UK SoS

On a partially unrelated note, I dream the day Worlds moves from USA and truly becomes a Worlds championship (in the sense it has a rotating venue allowing different players to come)

13 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

On a partially unrelated note, I dream the day Worlds moves from USA and truly becomes a Worlds championship (in the sense it has a rotating venue allowing different players to come)

...could be worse, we might not have Worlds, but at least we have the biggest and best events!  And think of those poor folks in Oceania and Asia still waiting for their first System Open and Continental championships.  :(

I think the new Coruscant invitational will be more prestigious than the current format as you can earn access to it by winning or finishing well in SOS/Hyperspace... So rather than being 8 guys in a room playing x-wing, it'll be hundreds of the top players in the world (Anyone who can go undefeated in a day of play must be a good player) playing off for the title.

Hopefully it gets some decent coverage from the podcasts before ffg take over for the top cut.

25 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

...could be worse, we might not have Worlds, but at least we have the biggest and best events!  And think of those poor folks in Oceania and Asia still waiting for their first System Open and Continental championships.  :(

We in Australia have of of the highest per capita player counts - Isn't that fun! Our nationals breaks over 100 players at least...

I view the prestige of an event by how many nationalities are presented. Sure, the US have huge tournaments, but you have huge cities too, so you're attracting massive amounts of casual players, whereas the EU have people travelling a (relatively) enormous distance to compete in their bigger tournaments.

Honestly, Coruscant this year is probably going to be the most prestigious event FFG has ever hosted. As Biophysical pointed out, anybody can go to worlds. This means that there is a chance that you get games against less experienced players your first 1-3 games. You have to qualify for Coruscant this year and there will be roughly 100 people who have to earn their way in. Not to mention, that there is free flight and amazing prizes on the line for the SoS so people are try harding for. 

Personally, I am more interested in going to Coruscant than worlds. Though I would like to go to both.