Yogibaer13

Will we ever get a new ****ing article....

10 minutes ago, YoureNoGood2MeDeadpool said:

If our long-awaited IA article turns out to be just a skirmish map announcement my brain is going to shatter.

i'm assuming the next wave announcement is going to come at worlds at this point. getting 100+ people in a room to get excited about it is pretty good marketing.

map rotation before worlds makes sense as Jabba's Palace has been in place for over a year, and it just doesn't make sense to not have a map from HotE.

42 minutes ago, Spidey NZ said:

relax.  just play and paint with what you have.  run another campaign. play some skirmish.  let it be a surprise, rather than stressing yourself out.

im happily running two campaigns. will play on the weekend. life is good.  

i wish for yours to be good also

and throw in a game or 2 of Legion :0

19 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

relax.  just play and paint with what you have.  run another campaign. play some skirmish.  let it be a surprise, rather than stressing yourself out.

im happily running two campaigns. will play on the weekend. life is good.  

i wish for yours to be good also

Agreed!  Also, I'm sure we all share the creative trait!  To non-skirmish players, if you are "bored" of playing the existing campaigns, try create new missions to share with the community!  I can assure you there is no time to stress out about the lack of news while play testing and tweaking a mission!  And (talking for myself) it's fun!

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

Guess I shoulda put a ‘lol’ in my post!

Getting a new skirmish map would be a good thing, they’re just not something I use. 

1 hour ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

To non-skirmish players, if you are "bored" of playing the existing campaigns, try create new missions to share with the community!

I have been tossing around the idea of adapting Shadows of the Empire with a custom squad instead of Dash/Leebo. I’ll let everyone know how that goes after it’s finished.

In the meantime, looking forward to some new plastic!

11 minutes ago, YoureNoGood2MeDeadpool said:

I have been tossing around the idea of adapting Shadows of the Empire with a custom squad instead of Dash/Leebo. I’ll let everyone know how that goes after it’s finished.

In the meantime, looking forward to some new plastic!

You have my attention!!!  The mid 90s video game greatly inspired me to create my own Gall spaceport mission (first draft available here ).  I've since got detailed comments from fellow forum member @angelman2 and I need to edit the pdf with his excellent comments and suggestions, but in the meantime, feel free to try it out if you'd like to!

It seems Shadows of the Empire is a popular setting for homemade IA stuff :)  IanSolo_FFG's Gall Spaceport mission is well worth trying!

Now, if it weren't for the fact that I've stolen @IanSolo_FFG for my own fan made campaign - Ashes of the Empire* - already, I would have suggested he and @YoureNoGood2MeDeadpool team up to do a Shadows of the Empire IA campaign :D But alas, Ian is mine and I forbid him dabbling in other sandboxes than my own! (just kidding) :P

*more on AotE is coming. Ian & I just have to get 2-3-4 missions ready for playtesting before we unleash this thing on the community :D

Been meaning to pick up a copy of that. It's really a re-implementation of "The Queen's Gambit" more-so than it is a risk game.... which will make it very confusing as I do have a regular version of star wars risk from around the time Episode 3 came out. "So do you want to play Star Wars RISK... or STAR WARS Risk."

1 hour ago, Inmate4251 said:

Been meaning to pick up a copy of that. It's really a re-implementation of "The Queen's Gambit" more-so than it is a risk game.... which will make it very confusing as I do have a regular version of star wars risk from around the time Episode 3 came out. "So do you want to play Star Wars RISK... or STAR WARS Risk."

Right, it plays absolutely nothing like Risk.  

It's actually a lot of fun.  Three different battles (Throne Room, Shield Bunker Assault, and Space Battle) that all feed into one another in some various ways, though the space battle is the ultimate victory condition.

The minis are about Risk Quality (if you get the Black Edition, which is pretty cheap now, you get some really cool Falcon and Executor minis, though).  

Gameplay is pretty unique.  If anything, my only gripe about it is that the balance is pretty off, with the Imperial player having a tough time winning- at least, that's the case with me, but maybe I focus too much on trying to use the Death Star laser to obliterate the Rebel fleet and should instead try more practical tactics.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:43 PM, The Cocky Rooster said:

I've never played SW Risk. Is it good? Scale of 1 to 10?

First play it is really great. With small kids it's also alright. However for adults who are actually competing to win it doesn't hold up at all. Both sides have an optimal strategy (Imperials non-stop fleet attacks, Rebels Endor track, Skywalker/Vader duel is a waste of resources for both sides) and are hobbled if they try to do anything else. The game has three aspects, but you are better off ignoring two of them.

On 4/7/2018 at 1:57 PM, mtagge said:

First play it is really great. With small kids it's also alright. However for adults who are actually competing to win it doesn't hold up at all. Both sides have an optimal strategy (Imperials non-stop fleet attacks, Rebels Endor track, Skywalker/Vader duel is a waste of resources for both sides) and are hobbled if they try to do anything else. The game has three aspects, but you are better off ignoring two of them.

I mostly agree.

The Skywalker/Vader duel is less of a reward, and more of the opportunity to burn actions to gamble for a longer turn down the line.

I've definitely seen it used really effectively before, but I think it's easier to just get longer turns by chaining fleet attacks instead, at least if you're the Empire.

My take on this is that FFG is a little over extended right now.  Just look at how many different product lines they have in production at this point in time.  For example, even though they did finally wrap up the Star Wars LCG, they have Destiny which sort of spiritually replaces it and has a march larger mass market appeal.  Right now, they are trying to get Legion set up on firm ground which means all their other Star Wars miniature lines (even their Runebound line) have taken a back seat right now.  Plus, this is a traditional down time for FFG (and most companies for that matter) after the holiday season.  April seems to be the month that they start to ramp up announcements as they like to push out a lot of products in fall ahead of the holidays (again, like most companies).  So I am sure we will see lots more news articles in the coming weeks.

And it's not just IA that has been quiet for a while.  Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but FFG hasn't really published articles about much of anything besides Legion, Lot5R LCG and Arkham Horror LCG for the past few months (with just a smattering about products announced long ago that are finally being released).  FFG is going through quite an upheaval as the Asmodee over-lords keep buying up game studios and then reorganizing to incorporate them into their existing portfolio...with FFG being the lead design studio in North America used to integrate all of them.

Edited by Otakuon

Last I heard there is only 1 person working on IA and they usually took a year to create a med-big box and one set of packs a year previously.  So to take a 4person job (2campaign and 2 skirmish) and shoe-horn it into a 1 person job should be overwhelming.

I'd rather they have time to playtest and get the figures balanced rather than shovel something that needs serious work to fix from the get go. I'm all right waiting.  We actually got 10 at our last tournament, if our FLGS owner would get off his duff and help promote the game (or any game for that matter) I'd rather build things rather than through too much at our fledgling community.

Edited by buckero0

2 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

I think we are just seeing the effects of splitting resources for the App. Worth it IMO! 

Yeah, and that brings up another point:  When can we expect the first full campaign for the app?  The first full campaign for Road to Legend (Descent's app) came out just a few weeks after the initial app dropped.  I sort of get the impression they rushed the app out in order to prove that they were actually working on it but weren't close to releasing any additional content.   They created a whole new division to work on these sorts of companion apps (along with another separate division to work on stand-alone digital apps) so one would think they should have something to show for it by now. 

But of course, I think that sometimes we forget to remember that even though Asmodee, and by extension FFG, is the biggest name in the hobby games market that market is still pretty niche compared to other industries and these companies are actually pretty small.  FFG has a rather small staff (compared to say your typical video game development studio) and still relies heavily on freelance writers and artists.  As much as I have a love/hate relationship with FFG (well, really with Asmodee), I respect how much content they are able to pump out and consistently keep the high quality standards that they do (for the most part) despite the limited resources they actually have.

15 hours ago, a1bert said:

Last I heard there were 3 (see the app credits), but IA is certainly not the only thing they do.

maybe I heard 1 full time, I'm sure (from interviews and such) that they still have others working or helping out with it.

Manpower is down from the usual amount is my point and we know things are getting split up (App, Skirmish vs Campaign, Legion;))

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

maybe I heard 1 full time, I'm sure (from interviews and such) that they still have others working or helping out with it.

Manpower is down from the usual amount is my point and we know things are getting split up (App, Skirmish vs Campaign, Legion;))

I honestly dont know how he split up time between skirmish and campaign but they do have a separate team from Legion. Straight from Todd's mouth.