lecudas

The Expanse

Any fans of The Expanse (TV show) here, or even better the book series by James S.A. Corey? As I was working on another adaptation, I was struck with how cool it would be to play in this very developed setting! If you are a fan, and would like to help out with some brainstorming - let me know!

3 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Haven’t had a chance to experience either yet, but I have read that the whole thing started as his own role-playing setting. 

I understand he is tickled pink that it’s being adapted for RPGs by other people now. 

"He" is actually two people. :D

Also you would need to make sure Belters are like the books, not show, right? 

I'm not sure, but I think there was talk of the original campaign being done with the Transhuman Space RPG by Steven Jackson Games.

I've read almost all of the novels which I found before the series. Even though it falls in the area of "hard science" for an RPG, you could encounter vomit spitting space zombies. :)

I've been working on my own hard sci-fi setting/campaign for a while (vaguely inspired by fragmented memories of a Jovian Chronicles game I was in 20 years ago.) I haven't read the books but someone recommended watching The Expanse recently and visually and thematically it's nearly perfect for what I'm working on. So I guess in a sense I'm working on a The Expanse campaign right now. :)

10 hours ago, Slaunyeh said:

I've been working on my own hard sci-fi setting/campaign for a while (vaguely inspired by fragmented memories of a Jovian Chronicles game I was in 20 years ago.) I haven't read the books but someone recommended watching The Expanse recently and visually and thematically it's nearly perfect for what I'm working on. So I guess in a sense I'm working on a The Expanse campaign right now. :)

Nice! I'd recommend the books too; the show is so far pretty faithful, and tbf I've only read the first one. BUT, the biggest difference is the appearance of Belters, who due to the lowered gravity of their environment are much lankier than the show depicts. It means as far as races go, they're visually and statistically different.

I second the suggestion of reading the books. I've Audible'd the whole series about 5 times.

But yeah the TV show is pretty damned faithful. I'm happy to overlook the Belter morphology issue though as it would probably double the cost per episode to CGI their bodies to fit the books descriptions. 

Lecudas, I've been running an expanse esq campaign but would be interested in collaborating if you are still interested in writing something. 

Saw some mentions of it in the thread, but for those interested: there's an article from the Barnes & Noble scifi blog detailing the history and origins of the book series, and its history as both a tabletop RPG and a potential MMORPG in the early days of WoW (the latter never happened).

Edited by sfRattan