Jump to content
Mackaywarrior

Do T-70s have a place in epic?

Recommended Posts

The extra shield and boost make the T-70 far superior. That would be 8 points in modifications, but you only pay 3 points! And you can take Autothrusters or Integrated Astromech on them for added durability.

The T-70, in my opinion, has made the T-65 viable only inasmuch as you are running purely original trilogy squads. If you have no such artificial limitation, T-70.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  Especially the PS 4 pilots.  They have a fair amount of hp to weather a few shots and they get the simultaneous attack rule vs enemy corvettes if they do die.  Bring 3 or 4 and use them to screen some Y-wings with Ion torpedoes and they will wreck whatever the Y's hit.

The Old X's are a bit cheaper and with the shear number of ships on the mat in Epic its usually not an issue getting something in arc to shoot at.  Plus they look super awesome on the mat escorting your GR-75.

On the other hand, as @Parakitor said, the T-70 has an extra shield and boost for only 3 more points, a bargain.  With that boost, they can get arcs a little easier, but also, they are fast enough to skirt the battle and get into the blind spots of the enemy Huge.  Once there, their 1 speed moves are slow enough to keep them behind the huge without getting run over and those 3 primary guns will make quick work of those 0 agility ships.

And for extra fun, bring Etahn in an E-Wing.  Hang back at range 3, keep your arc on as many ships as you can and take the evade token.  Man those extra crits are amazing in epic.  Actually, he is not bad leading half a dozen Z-95's either.  With Etahn around, they almost feel like the heavy fighter you are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes, a trio of T-70s is a bear to deal with.  Have them escorting your bombers, or intercepting incoming attack.   My favorite is: intercept incoming attack, focus fire to remove at least 1 opposing ship, and keep on flying towards the huge ship and tear it up with long distance support from the Corvette. (Allowing your A-wings or Y-wings to deal with whatever is left of their main force)

 

3-4 X-wings are strong in epic.  T-70’s are amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Parakitor said:

The extra shield and boost make the T-70 far superior. That would be 8 points in modifications, but you only pay 3 points! And you can take Autothrusters or Integrated Astromech on them for added durability.

The T-70, in my opinion, has made the T-65 viable only inasmuch as you are running purely original trilogy squads. If you have no such artificial limitation, T-70.

All this, and I will add that the T-70 has a mid range generic with an EPT, something the T-65 lacks.

The T-65 badly needs a Battle of Scarif update with new aces and Blue Squadron veteran generic with an EPT.  A buff to the entire chassis would be nice, too.

I do disagree that the T-65 aces are useless. . .Wedge, Luke, and the (non-Biggs) boys have special abilities that work just fine in epic.

I'm a Imp Navy boy at heart, but when I rebel, it's with X-Wings every time.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played a lot of Epic, and I really enjoy using lots of T70s.  That being said, I am kind of an X-Wing Nut, and have a bunch of them custom-painted and look for any excuse to fly them.  But thanks to the T70 having a generic with an EPT, I've built quite a few lists around them with plenty of success.  Go-to EPTs have included Deadeye (with Torpedoes), Draw Their Fire (usually with Integrated Astromech), Crackshot, Swarm Tactics (thanks Roarke!) and even Predator + Weapon Guidance (expensive, but reliable hitting power with no external support required, and Predator tends to be pretty solid in Epic where massed low PS generics are more common).  Even Cool Hand has been reasonably useful for its cost, as that one round of K-Turning/T-Rolling and picking up a Focus is nice.  Lots of freedom and flexibility in building T70s at 300/400pts, and with the right support ships they can carry their weight well.  The innate Boost really helps them close the larger distances of an Epic map quite well too, or helps them avoid the RAM! from an enemy huge ship once that distance has been closed.

Nothing beats seeing a squadron of eight custom-painted X-Wings escorting a U-Wing and HWK support ship!  :)

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may be seeing my problem. Often times I fly in such tight formations with my T-65s that the boost does not come into play making it so the cheaper T-65 is better than the T-70. Seems the T-70 just won't just it as a heavy fighter so my B-Wings will stay. If I wanted to replace my B-Wings I could go with Y-Wings but the epic players in my area do not use turrets much at all. Because of this, I will leave my B-Wings for the time being. 

I may try and use some T-70s with Flight assist astromech to try and flank my opponent. I'll let you know how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

All this, and I will add that the T-70 has a mid range generic with an EPT, something the T-65 lacks.

The T-65 badly needs a Battle of Scarif update with new aces and Blue Squadron veteran generic with an EPT.  A buff to the entire chassis would be nice, too.

I do disagree that the T-65 aces are useless. . .Wedge, Luke, and the (non-Biggs) boys have special abilities that work just fine in epic.

I'm a Imp Navy boy at heart, but when I rebel, it's with X-Wings every time.

Doesn't need to be a Scarif update. Throw Rogue Squadron in there c. PS6 with an EPT. I'd also give the Rogues a pilot ability: Whenever outnumbered they can perform any 2-speed maneuver of their choice as an action. Maneuvers the ship is normally incapable of will stress the ship Alternately you could have the maneuver stress the ship period even if it is one the ship can normally perform for balance (X-wings performing 2-speed K-Turns, T-Rolls, and S-Loops FTW!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find Boost to be really useful on Epic maps, and I find Red Squad Vet T70s and Prototype A-Wing pilots frequently find their way into my lists.  That ability to cover more ground to get back into a fight or to be better blockers or to avoid the "crush threat" of huge ships is all pretty useful.

Even without Boosting, though, the T70 also has:

  • +1 Shield
  • Tallon Roll (for three times as many turnaround options on a tight board as a T65)
  • Tech Slot (for those times you want to have Hyperwave Scanners or Weapons Guidance or other tricks)
  • Ability to take Autothrusters, which is pretty good against the longer-ranged fighting frequent on Epic boards

 

I wish the T65 Generic had more going for it, but I think for me on the Epic Scale those few extra points for all the perks of a T70 always wins out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ambaryerno said:

Doesn't need to be a Scarif update. Throw Rogue Squadron in there c. PS6 with an EPT. I'd also give the Rogues a pilot ability: Whenever outnumbered they can perform any 2-speed maneuver of their choice as an action. Maneuvers the ship is normally incapable of will stress the ship Alternately you could have the maneuver stress the ship period even if it is one the ship can normally perform for balance (X-wings performing 2-speed K-Turns, T-Rolls, and S-Loops FTW!).

Well, that's where Blue Squadron is to be found, and the Mouse is emphasizing the new over the EU.

I would also be fine with a Wraith Squadron expac. . .

8 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I wish the T65 Generic had more going for it, but I think for me on the Epic Scale those few extra points for all the perks of a T70 always wins out.

Aesthetically, I'm just as happy with T-70s on the board as T-65s.

But when I want to fly the uniques. . . :(

But yeah, agree that Boost is darned helpful in epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, that's where Blue Squadron is to be found, and the Mouse is emphasizing the new over the EU.

I would also be fine with a Wraith Squadron expac. . .

Aesthetically, I'm just as happy with T-70s on the board as T-65s.

But when I want to fly the uniques. . . :(

But yeah, agree that Boost is darned helpful in epic.

I was trying to think of a way to work in the Wraiths, but was having problems coming up with a good thematic pilot ability for what's supposed to primarily be a special ops force that can also fly starfighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2018 at 4:15 AM, Mackaywarrior said:

I have been wanting to add these as a heavy fighter role for a while but it just never pans out. I'd love to retire my B-Wings lol

Having played against them T70s are pretty devastating when formation flown.  There very tough and 3 attacks makes them awesome.   I’ve also flown against HLC B-Wings and they are also pretty good but I fear T70s more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sasajak said:

Having played against them T70s are pretty devastating when formation flown.  There very tough and 3 attacks makes them awesome.   I’ve also flown against HLC B-Wings and they are also pretty good but I fear T70s more!

What was the T-70 build? This is what I am thinking of running next epic night.

GR-75 Medium Transport (30)
Toryn Farr (6)
Shield Technician (1)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Automated Protocols (5)
Bright Hope (5)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Crack Shot (1)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Crack Shot (1)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Crack Shot (1)
Flight-Assist Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Pilot (23)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 300

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Edited by Mackaywarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, Mackaywarrior said:

I have been wanting to add these as a heavy fighter role for a while but it just never pans out. I'd love to retire my B-Wings lol

Last night this is what I faced:

bCkYMqX.jpg

Yes, T-70s have a place in Epic.

My brother just found out how good they are.  Much to my (future) dismay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...