Karl45

New Units release dates

22 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Yeah, don't the game mechanics specifically reference terrain height?

Yes. Granted it is streamlined into sections, like the range ruler. Legion uses the same for both. Range 1 is Height 1 (and is 6 inches). Range 2 is Height 2 (and is 12 inches). Etc.

15 minutes ago, Polda said:

Legion just got a March 22 release date. Unlikely we are getting anything before that. *facepalm*

Think we'll see any NEWS either before March 22? They are pushing this one strong.

March 22??? I was not expecting that. True the “upcoming page” calculus probably fully supports that timeline, but the news hype to me fully supports a AT LATEST mid-late Feb release. Either something did go horribly wrong on the supply side (which I’m more skeptical of) or FFG has been cranking out these articles in the hopes of locking in as many pre-orders as possible to best predict exactly how much product they’ll need on release?  Historically FFG  has run pretty tight margins, usually erring on the side of running out and rushing reprints than overprinting slightly and selling down, and I will admit a core and 8 expansions for a simultaneous release is (by FFG standards) a pretty massive bet to be hedging and one they can’t afford to mess up. 

The big question mark is what goes on for the next two months between now and then? I can’t fathom how they could continue the hype train this whole time without at least a few articles (other games included, X-wing, Assault, etc) to keep the mobs at bay but seeing as how nothing is really ahead of legion in the production queue I’m definitely more hesitant to expect anything better than a May-June big release of Uthuk and Scouts/Wraiths/Darnati? And hey May is perfect time to bring back the Legion hype leading into Star Wars worlds!

Despite my attempts to the contrary, and I know you can rewind to say, July 2017, and the tables are completely reversed but I’ve become very bitter/resentful towards Legion in its domination of news (and apparently production/shipping) over any other game lately for what I see as an inferior command system design in a game that steps on the toes of too many of its peers in a crowded room and hampers their growth.

Maybe its as simple as FFG’s new strategy is to focus all in on a few games every 3-4 months and rotate, but that seems contrary to their design up to this point.

Fingers crossed Legion goes to the back burner for a bit and FFG spreads the love for a few weeks at least.

Their last few starwars product lines have all met with a huge shortfall in production on launch. My guess is they are sitting on the first run untill they have enough product come in that they are sure to meet demand and if they push back launch that means a much shorter wait for the next expansion product.

5 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

Their last few starwars product lines have all met with a huge shortfall in production on launch. My guess is they are sitting on the first run untill they have enough product come in that they are sure to meet demand and if they push back launch that means a much shorter wait for the next expansion product.

Umm. No. 

They may be rushing production to fulfill initial orders and anticipate demand from walk up buyers. That doesn't imply that they've already started reprints so if supplies sell out that we aren't all waiting around for 3 months for the next slow boat from China.

On topic ... I do think it would be a profound problem if we really do have to wait for more Runewars stuff until after Legion ships. 

I mean can throw the spoiled stuff into Vassal so that gets us something but totally doesn't help with the campaign we have going on right now where I presumed I was going to be able to add to my Uthuk as that went on. 

Yeah so to bring it back full circle (at least for me from my previous rant) if Legion is late March, and with nothing currently past the printer, I think the best hope right now is the rest of the Uthuk early/mid May, and hopefully the other three units following on their heels June, early July latest? I could buy in for a late July release if the Uthuk got a ranged added in there and we got a 4 unit release, but that might be too optimistic.

that timeline to me means we need a few More preview articles by the end of Feb to see what’s coming when, and then hopefully even some new unit articles by May for Q3/Q4 units?

I can support a slowing down of the release cycle, but they need to level the field at least some first, otherwise things will continue to be difficult for a lot of players.  By no means unplayable, but just much more limited in their army designs and tactics compared to Daqan/Waiqar.

I feel like they've already burned through most of the relevant Legion articles?  They're releasing 8 expansions with the core, which I imagine is the dice pack, the movement tools, and the 6 expansion boxes (imp troopers, reb troopers, at-rt, speeder bikes, t47 airspeeder, at-st).  I think they've already gone through all of that? So what news will they release in the next 2 months?

Anyway, I hope they get Runewars back into the articles.  Uthuk and Latari could use the catching up to put them on a level playing field.

Me and a co-worker were talking about this today.  FFG really does release things too slowly.  I love FFG games (so does my co-worker), but it's just frustrating to get in on the ground floor with their games.  I love the potential for cool stuff in Runewars but it's just progressing at a snails pace and Armada was the same way and I imagine that in 10 months or so we'll see a similar issue with Legion.  I mean, battlelore stuff was slow to come out and then got shut down for runewars.  Runewars has been stuck at the printers for the sake of Legion's release.  I'm sure Legion will hit the same roadblock sooner or later.

That being said, I'm not leaving these games any time soon, but I'm going to wait to get into them until they are later in their life cycle and release more of what I personally consider to be a "full experience".  I love Daqan, but 2 heroes and 4 unit types (soon 5), does not a diverse experience make.  I can be like, "whooooo, look my spears have a new flag".  And yes that's significant, but I'd way rather have 3 or 4 types of melee infantry to choose from.   What I'm saying is that it's because Runewars has been so slow to ramp up that I'm going to wait on Legion for probably a couple years to see if they really come out with a diverse lineup.  With Runewars, I can have 4 different melee infantry types, but that requires me to play 4 different factions which is weird to me.  That would've been easier to do if they would do the smart thing and make prequel factions, but whatever.   Again, too little diversity early on.

15 minutes ago, Willange said:

Me and a co-worker were talking about this today.  FFG really does release things too slowly.  I love FFG games (so does my co-worker), but it's just frustrating to get in on the ground floor with their games.  I love the potential for cool stuff in Runewars but it's just progressing at a snails pace and Armada was the same way and I imagine that in 10 months or so we'll see a similar issue with Legion.  I mean, battlelore stuff was slow to come out and then got shut down for runewars.  Runewars has been stuck at the printers for the sake of Legion's release.  I'm sure Legion will hit the same roadblock sooner or later.

That being said, I'm not leaving these games any time soon, but I'm going to wait to get into them until they are later in their life cycle and release more of what I personally consider to be a "full experience".  I love Daqan, but 2 heroes and 4 unit types (soon 5), does not a diverse experience make.  I can be like, "whooooo, look my spears have a new flag".  And yes that's significant, but I'd way rather have 3 or 4 types of melee infantry to choose from.   What I'm saying is that it's because Runewars has been so slow to ramp up that I'm going to wait on Legion for probably a couple years to see if they really come out with a diverse lineup.  With Runewars, I can have 4 different melee infantry types, but that requires me to play 4 different factions which is weird to me.  That would've been easier to do if they would do the smart thing and make prequel factions, but whatever.   Again, too little diversity early on.

I'm not having any issues coming up with new lists I want to try.  I guess I don't play enough, but there's a lot of design space already in the units we have (at least for Daqan).  I'm continually updating and tweaking my Karithorne list (for example)

I agree that there are a lot of lists to try, but there are relatively few that are truly unique from the other lists I've run (with 1 or 2 exceptions).  I realize that sentiment is entirely relative and subjective though.  With a minis game though it will also always been a bit limited by what I actually purchase as well.  For example a herd of single tray rune golems would be fun to try a couple times, but I don't need that many golems for anything else so I'll never buy that unless the game goes on a crazy sale of some kind.

Edited by Willange

1 hour ago, Willange said:

In addition, I don't get why they don't pump stuff out a little faster at least with the announcements.  Are they afraid to take my money? :blink:

They are afraid to set your expectations and then fail to meet them.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:15 PM, TylerTT said:

I think they also aim for a world wide start at the same time (with localized versions). There are messages on Facebook where suppliers from certain countries (Australia, Spain) already have all Legion stuff but are not yet allowed to sell it.

This of course delays the release of a product.

20 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

I don't get why they're spamming LEGION when its two months away still.  Do they have data on their audience having a memory that lasts that long? :)

They might use the time to announce more stuff :).

Scouttroopers have already been mentioned by Alex Davy (game designer) in the team covenant demo on Gencon.

Descent 2 was stopped for Star Wars Imperial Assault exatly the same way and was quite closed with that. So Terrinoth is just a Scout for Star Wars ? Its unbelievable they break the Runewars Game before it has finished the starting units just for the Star Wars drug.

5 hours ago, magicrealm said:

Descent 2 was stopped for Star Wars Imperial Assault exatly the same way and was quite closed with that. So Terrinoth is just a Scout for Star Wars ? Its unbelievable they break the Runewars Game before it has finished the starting units just for the Star Wars drug.

Descent had a really long run though.  This game is still what.. 10 months old?

I wouldn't describe Descent as having been stopped or abandoned at all.  There's a ton of content for it and the app has been a big hit that boosted sales of the physical game. They only recently put out a reprint of the entire product line. 

It has been quieter since Imperial Assault was released, and only app developments recently. Maybe Descent 2 is "done" but I'm happy with the product. 

On 30.1.2018 at 9:53 PM, Willange said:

Same for us here. In Vienna, most of the RuneWars players have dropped out, some (including me) were in the "wait for elves release" boat and luckily, the Legion announcement happened just in time to avoid spending money on Runewars when we could all see the writing on the wall. Maybe a couple years down the line when Legion is losing buzz or failed people might have another look at this. In the meantime, the more mature and fleshed out tabletop games out there sadly offer much more.