Sign in to follow this  
Baltanok

Final Wave 6 Regional - Indianapolis!

8 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

@geek19, Anthony #28 ( @Blingvarr) clarified his fleet was:

Most Wanted / Hyperspace Assault / Solar Corona 

VSD-II with Jerjerrod, Skilled First Officer, Gunnery Team, Disposable Capacitors, Quad Battery Turrets, and Leading Shots

VSD-II with Warlord, Gunnery Team, Disposable Capacitors, Quad Turbolaser Cannons, Leading Shots

Gozanti with Comms Net

Squads: Vader, Bossk, Zertik, Jonus, Jendon,  Jumpmaster

original post with it all edited, thanks

39 minutes ago, geek19 said:

original post with it all edited, thanks

Thank you!

Not to make more work for you, but is there any chance we can get the points values on the fleets, too? Helps people get an idea about the bids present. I was surprised at how bids at Indy seemed to remain fairly high despite many other Regional events so far having tamer bids overall. Could've just been my games, though.

8 hours ago, Snipafist said:

Thank you!

Not to make more work for you, but is there any chance we can get the points values on the fleets, too? Helps people get an idea about the bids present. I was surprised at how bids at Indy seemed to remain fairly high despite many other Regional events so far having tamer bids overall. Could've just been my games, though.

Uh, probably not. My memory is that most of the sheets didn't have bids on them. I'll check again tonight, but I don't want to be building all these lists in warlords trying to get the bids right.

1 minute ago, geek19 said:

Uh, probably not. My memory is that most of the sheets didn't have bids on them. I'll check again tonight, but I don't want to be building all these lists in warlords trying to get the bids right.

That's weird, they should have a points total on them somewhere, right? If not, then yeah, that's not at all reasonable to expect you to manually recreate them.

From being there, bids were high. Highest was 18 points. I'd guess the average it was six. Bids went for both first and second strangely. I intentionally went no bid since I had six activations, I was just as comfortable in either first or second. But in general, they were definitely on the upper side of bananas.

18 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

From being there, bids were high. Highest was 18 points. I'd guess the average it was six. Bids went for both first and second strangely. I intentionally went no bid since I had six activations, I was just as comfortable in either first or second. But in general, they were definitely on the upper side of bananas.

An average bid of six is bananas? What meta are you from, because the ones I'm vaguely in touch with consider that a pittance. (My standard right now is 13, and one of the Vassal World Cup bids, which did admit it was insanity, was intended to be 34.)

1 minute ago, GiledPallaeon said:

An average bid of six is bananas? What meta are you from, because the ones I'm vaguely in touch with consider that a pittance. (My standard right now is 13, and one of the Vassal World Cup bids, which did admit it was insanity, was intended to be 34.)

I think what @ForceSensitive means is the overall bid for the event was 6. There are definitely higher bids and in general I don't consider 6 individually to be a high bid (it's a fairly moderate bid, a lot of second player fleets or half-interested first-player fleets might consider it), for an event average, that's fairly high, as a lot of bid-agnostic fleets go with a 0 or 1 point bid.

Just now, Snipafist said:

I think what @ForceSensitive means is the overall bid for the event was 6. There are definitely higher bids and in general I don't consider 6 individually to be a high bid (it's a fairly moderate bid, a lot of second player fleets or half-interested first-player fleets might consider it), for an event average, that's fairly high, as a lot of bid-agnostic fleets go with a 0 or 1 point bid.

Ok, because I'm currently trying to finish several other projects as well, I will cheat.

@Baltanok (and whoever else has been helping him analyze) what was the average bid at Regionals so far (broken down by Regionals if possible)?

17 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

Ok, because I'm currently trying to finish several other projects as well, I will cheat.

@Baltanok (and whoever else has been helping him analyze) what was the average bid at Regionals so far (broken down by Regionals if possible)?

Will work on that, but it'll need to be after work.  I need to make sure the formulas deal with zero bid vs unknown bid.  I know the ship% formulas don't work currently, but I haven't checked the others.

@Truthiness has graciously offered to help with some formulas, such as the squad breakdowns recently seen in another thread.

8 minutes ago, Baltanok said:

Will work on that, but it'll need to be after work.  I need to make sure the formulas deal with zero bid vs unknown bid.  I know the ship% formulas don't work currently, but I haven't checked the others.

@Truthiness has graciously offered to help with some formulas, such as the squad breakdowns recently seen in another thread.

Take your time. I can't handle it either, so I have no real room to complain about you saying the same thing. I'm mostly curious if we end up with another surprising result like @Ardaedhel's discovery of hilarious flotilla imbalance (probably caused by faction imbalance).

Just now, GiledPallaeon said:

Take your time. I can't handle it either, so I have no real room to complain about you saying the same thing. I'm mostly curious if we end up with another surprising result like @Ardaedhel's discovery of hilarious flotilla imbalance (probably caused by faction imbalance).

Not disagreeing, do want to see. Where is the flotilla imbalance thread?

1 hour ago, Baltanok said:

I think past this season, the data sheet needs an overhaul. There's a lot of complexity that has caused the formulas to deteriorate over time. A simplification I think is in order. For example, I thought I had fixed the squad formulas, only to realize that squadron points were totaled up on a separate tab from the full data. That in turn caused problems when trying to move lists both within and between spreadsheets, and made the squadron data earlier in the week to be incorrect.

18 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

I think past this season, the data sheet needs an overhaul. There's a lot of complexity that has caused the formulas to deteriorate over time. A simplification I think is in order. For example, I thought I had fixed the squad formulas, only to realize that squadron points were totaled up on a separate tab from the full data. That in turn caused problems when trying to move lists both within and between spreadsheets, and made the squadron data earlier in the week to be incorrect.

Yes, there's a fair bit to be done to make it simpler, which should also help it run better on tablets and phones.  Choosing to track upgrade categories instead of specific upgrades will help there.  (X17 vs "defense hate" for example)

I think we should be able to use filters for top/bottom X brackets instead of separate tabs, which simplifies the data entry.  But displaying results by bracket is also a desired feature

24 minutes ago, Baltanok said:

Yes, there's a fair bit to be done to make it simpler, which should also help it run better on tablets and phones.  Choosing to track upgrade categories instead of specific upgrades will help there.  (X17 vs "defense hate" for example)

I think we should be able to use filters for top/bottom X brackets instead of separate tabs, which simplifies the data entry.  But displaying results by bracket is also a desired feature

1 hour ago, Truthiness said:

I just appreciate someone is keeping up the good work.

I personally thought it was bananas because while buds that high aren't unknown to me, I've even used those in getting ready for the event, to be that high consistently was strange to me. Because to my thinking, if you are thinking your going to be in a bidding war, and not know exactly what to bid to be sure, then you shouldn't bid but instead prepare to be first or second. Which is why I pushed to have a third flottila in my list in a five activation meta. With Defiance, I go last and have a good time. With torpedo frigates I go first and have a good time. With both, you have no good option. That was my thinking going into it, and why I was happy to see such high bids, less for me to chew through. Obviously it didn't win me the whole thing, but then again I was comfortable in every game.

13 hours ago, GiledPallaeon said:

all - 4.5 average, (median 3)

ND & Nor Cal were notably higher at 9.5 & 8.5, respectively

everybody else is somewhere between 3 & 4.5 for individual averages.

I didn't see any clear difference in the top half of the results.  if anything, top bids were lower than average bids in many places.

most of the big regionals have at least one list with a 15+ point bid.  So far, 28 is the highest bid I've seen.