FranquesEnbiens

Tournament Stream Saturday 1/20

Hey everyone! Initiative One will be streaming our store tournament from Atomic Empire this Saturday (1/20) starting at 11:00am EST. Thanks to our friends Carolina Krayts for streaming for us. You can watch on their Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/carolinakrayts. We also plan to host the stream on our Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/initiativeone. After the tournament is over, we'll be uploading the videos to our YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzBvBKj7v_rEqWrtcEf-Iw…

We will have commentary, so come hang out with us for some Runewars action and chat with us while you watch!

Edited by FranquesEnbiens

That final match between JJ (KariThorne) and Justin (Waiqar MSU) was really good.  Some crazy tactics employed by both sides.  I never thought I'd see an effective Wraith Step.  That variation of the KariThorne list is very tight.  Every upgrade was used to its full potential.

You can find a link to it here -- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/220612491##

Edited by Glucose98

7 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

That final match between JJ (KariThorne) and Justin (Waiqar MSU) was really good.  Some crazy tactics employed by both sides.  I never thought I'd see an effective Wraith Step.  That variation of the KariThorne list is very tight.  Every upgrade was used to its full potential.

The round 2 match was even better. I loved the tactics that JJ used to evade the spearstar of his opponent and the perfect use of that Dispatch Runner

14 hours ago, Glucose98 said:

That was a fun one to play, and I'm glad it made the stream. 

I was quite happy with my terrain placement and deployment--though in retrospect I should have reversed the leftmost solo Worm with Maro (so that I wouldn't have had the fear/threat of the Hawthrone charge into Maro). JJ's play was excellent, and the WraithStep and Dispatch Runner quickly turned the tides of the game. 

Both of our lists are pretty upgrade light, which is interesting to me. She has 18 points in upgrades, and I have 22. I see lots of lists that use more than that amount combined. 

Fun to watch, and I was just glad to see some Waiqar after the first two games of Daqan vs. Daqan. Shame Waiqar didn't pull out the win, but Justin had a fantastic opening.

I was a little sad to see in the last game when JJ's archers went into terrain and still used Dispatch Runner. When you enter terrain, after resolving all effects regarding entering that terrain, the unit's turn immediately ends, and the skill modifier would have been canceled. I don't know that it would have made much of a difference, but the worms would have taken at least one fewer attacks, which would have meant one more attack on the Cavalry. I know everybody makes mistakes in the heat of battle, so I'm not judging, but I did want to reiterate the point just so we're all familiar with the rules.

4 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Fun to watch, and I was just glad to see some Waiqar after the first two games of Daqan vs. Daqan. Shame Waiqar didn't pull out the win, but Justin had a fantastic opening.

I was a little sad to see in the last game when JJ's archers went into terrain and still used Dispatch Runner. When you enter terrain, after resolving all effects regarding entering that terrain, the unit's turn immediately ends, and the skill modifier would have been canceled. I don't know that it would have made much of a difference, but the worms would have taken at least one fewer attacks, which would have meant one more attack on the Cavalry. I know everybody makes mistakes in the heat of battle, so I'm not judging, but I did want to reiterate the point just so we're all familiar with the rules.

I actually didn't recall this rule until Justin pointed it out to me late in the game. Once I thought about it, it made perfect sense, but for some reason I had it in my head that only movement was cancelled. Hopefully the number of times I unintentionally cheat is balanced by the times I forget my flanking dice and panic tests. :P Of course, the best thing about our local Runewars group is that your opponent will remind you about your flanking dice (thanks Zeke!). Our league is 100% made of great sportsmanship.

Many thanks to Chris and Josh for doing the stream; I'm glad folks have enjoyed watching the games! We'll try to get different factions on camera next time. :)

22 minutes ago, dragonofid said:

Hopefully the number of times I unintentionally cheat is balanced by the times I forget my flanking dice and panic tests. :P

I totally feel you!

22 minutes ago, dragonofid said:

Of course, the best thing about our local Runewars group is that your opponent will remind you about your flanking dice (thanks Zeke!). Our league is 100% made of great sportsmanship.

Sounds like a great group of Runewarriors!

I was sad about the limited faction representation due to players players that couldn't make it out in the bad weather, but the stream was really well done, and it looked like you all got ideas while running it to iterate and improve on the setup.

I was particularly impressed at the dynamic between the commentators. Having one Rune Wars vet explaining a lot of the mechanics to an X-Wing player is probably a great conceit for outreach and community growth; even as the second commentator gets some experience with (watching or playing) Rune Wars, this would be a great angle to continue the commentary in the future.