Absol197

Force Points per Force Rating; A Statistics Thread!

5 hours ago, Murth said:

Two padawans are talking. The first says "look, I can lift a rock with the force, just like master did." The second responds "the rock master lifted was bigger than we are, that rock is rather small. I can lift a rock as big as master."

Both padawans have Force Rating `1, and the same upgrades to the move power. However the first one used one pip, and the second one used 2 pips. Which one probably rolled Light Side pips, and which one probably rolled Dark Side pips. And which one seems more likely to be using the Dark Side from a narrative standpoint?

I think we have the same idea as to how it should work narratively, but disagree how that best translates to the mechanics.

5 hours ago, Dafydd said:

I agree that the system isn't perfect (I've never found an RPG system that is). Using a similar example to yours, the Padawan with FR1 who only uses Light Side pips can only lift the small rock 41.7% of the time. The Padawan who is willing to use the Dark Side can always lift it.

However, the Padawan who used only the Light Side pips, probably had two to use, and thus could lift the larger rock. 

6 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

However, the Padawan who used only the Light Side pips, probably had two to use, and thus could lift the larger rock. 

If he rolled the pips at all, chances are the padawan that is willing to use the dark side lifts the rock and does so consistently time and time again, while the lightside only user lifts it only sometimes. "Is the dark side stronger", "No, no.... quicker, easier, more seductive" when you are willing to do anything for power you will consistently have more power. The dark side even in canon promises its user greatness, but more often then not gives them nothing but pain and suffering and in the hardest moments, the dark side usually fails it's user.

This is also better seen with a Force Rating 2 character. 2 characters both that roll a double light and 1 dark, the guy willing to use the dark side will consistently lift the bigger rock, at the risk of conflict, and once he has enough conflict that is when the dark side that offered him so much, now only gives him suffering.