The Jabbawookie

Strategic Advisor

8 hours ago, X Wing Nut said:

And this card only makes things worse 

Imperial II 120 • Admiral Sloane 24 Strategic Adviser 4 • Boarding Troopers 3 • Electronic Countermeasures 7 • Leading Shots 4 • XI7 Turbolasers 6 • Avenger 5

Gozanti Cruisers 23 • Comms Net 2

Gozanti Cruisers 23 

Gozanti Cruisers 23 

Gozanti Cruisers 23 

Maarek Stele 21 Colonel Jendon 20 Saber Squadron 12 Valen Rudor 13 Zertik Strom 15 Ciena Ree 17 TIE Fighter Squadron 8

Total 398

22w3yf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator 

PASS RULE LIKE IN IMPERIAL ASSAULT WHY IS THAT SO HARD???

This could be fun, but I don't think it'll be a broken type of build.   I just view this type of list as easy to beat.   Maybe I simply blow up a few gozantis and fly away, ignoring you and win on points.... or maybe I take long range ships to widdle down your only threat, so even in the end you get a last in-first out activation, I should still be able to kill your Star Destroyer by then, (or right after), and still win on points.   

The real problem for your opponent is if they try to do virtually the same thing but come up short.   This is a threat to fleets that have most of their points in one ship - so a 200+ point flagship fully decked out with and expensive commander.    I think it could be fun though!

I’m not thrilled. It feels like FFG just embraced the aspect of the game I like the least. Sinking activations in order to First-last somebody is the epitome of “I embrace the rules so I don’t have to develop skill.” Im not saying that a skilled player doesn’t make first-last even more effective or that successfully first-lasting someone doesn’t have some skill floor to use. I am saying that first-last as a strategy makes bad players more effective than they should be. Nothing in this game is quite as irritating as watching bad Imperial players lose less badly than they should or win because they first-last with Demo/AvengerBT and that is all they have going for them. 

Pryce/Bail/SA all embrace this and I am not thrilled. I will continue to strive to do what I’ve always done and beat the piss out of MSUs with 3 activation lists. This made it a lot harder

Edited by Church14

8 minutes ago, rasproteus said:

This statement in particular resonated with me quite strongly.

That's the general Rebellion plan. Cobble together 3 garbage trucks, a medical frigate, a counselor's ship, and some squadrons and take down ISDs with it.

Or bring a refugee fleet of Mon Calimari leaving their homeworld ready to take out their frustration on some Moff trying to oppress them some more.

That's our lot in life; to cause ISDs to suffer. And there's lots of suffering for those ISDs to take.....

35 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I am saying that first-last as a strategy makes bad players more effective than they should be. Nothing in this game is quite as irritating as watching bad Imperial players lose less badly than they should or win because they first-last with Demo/AvengerBT and that is all they have going for them. 

>Be a player
>Really enjoy the game but not perfect at it
>Find a niche that works
>Play that niche
>Have fun
>Go to an event
>Don't do great but still have fun
>Last opponent of the day
>A skilled player
>Neckbeard has been delicately groomed
>His thick meaty fingers start placing pieces
>ImInTrouble.png
>Opponent gets angry over course of match
>Flips table when my fleet doesn't lose as hard as he wants
>Throws hissy fit about my niche
dD5PHiz.gif
>Proceeds to complain about it for the next year online

I had a big accusatory post about how lame what you said right there is... but I'm just gonna leave it at that. 

That type of thinking is lame. It's a game. If that's their niche, and they're having fun, who are you to piss on it?

3 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

>Be a player
>Find a niche that works
>Play that niche
>Have fun
>Go to an event
>A skilled player
>ImInTrouble.png
dD5PHiz.gif

I had a big accusatory post about how lame what you said right there is... but I'm just gonna leave it at that. 

That type of thinking is lame. It's a game. If that's their niche, and they're having fun, who are you to piss on it?

I think I just stared at that gif for like, 5 minutes without blinking. So much gold. Anyone want to take over under bets on how long it's been since that treadmill in the back saw some use?

Just now, BrobaFett said:

I think I just stared at that gif for like, 5 minutes without blinking. So much gold. Anyone want to take over under bets on how long it's been since that treadmill in the back saw some use?

Depends on how you define "use" I bet it gets regular usage as a towel/jacket/clothes hanger.

8 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

>Be a player
>Find a niche that works
>Play that niche
>Have fun
>Go to an event
>A skilled player
>ImInTrouble.png
dD5PHiz.gif

I’m griping about game design, not players (or trying to). My post may have come off wrong in that particular point. If I go to a tourney, I’m expecting activation gimmicks and other gameplay that might be frustrating to face. It’s a tournament. I try to not get wound up as I will probably be trying to abuse some different mechanic as well.

My problem is that I guess I don’t like her implication for what FFG wants Armada game mechanics to revolve around when I see Bail/Pryce/SA. It is an already powerful mechanic and these cards supercharge it. Which is rough to me as I enjoy so much else about this wave. I’m not going to cry “Armada iz ded!” I’m just going to be more cautious about wave 8 to see what they do. Maybe SA/Pryce/Bail is the end of what they want for activation shenanigans and they move on.

That gif is truly phenomenal though. Nice! Of course it was a Catan game too. 

And my beard reaches my ears if you must know. 

3 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I’m griping about game design, not players (or trying to). My post may have come off wrong in that particular point. If I go to a tourney, I’m expecting activation gimmicks and other gameplay that might be frustrating to face. It’s a tournament. I try to not get wound up as I will probably be trying to abuse some different mechanic as well.

My problem is that I guess I don’t like her implication for what FFG wants Armada game mechanics to revolve around when I see Bail/Pryce/SA. It is an already powerful mechanic and these cards supercharge it. Which is rough to me as I enjoy so much else about this wave. I’m not going to cry “Armada iz ded!” I’m just going to be more cautious about wave 8 to see what they do. Maybe SA/Pryce/Bail is the end of what they want for activation shenanigans and they move on.

That gif is truly phenomenal though. Nice! Of course it was a Catan game too. 

And my beard reaches my ears if you must know. 

Fair enough. 

It's one of my favorite gifs of him... right up with

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24252-1331327230-31

and

giphy.gif

lol

2 hours ago, ripper998 said:

I would be curious to see what a double cymooon with vader could do to this.  With the amount of red dice it throws out with good rerolls it should be able to knock out that ISD before it gets close enough.

It's exceedingly unlikely. That ISD has to blunder into range, and you have to hit nearly perfect shots both times. Consider it another way, that is two Ackbar Assault Cruisers with QBT and LS procs. Do I want to get caught in that zone of death? Of course not. Is it likely it will kill me? Also no. I won't survive the third shot very probably, but you don't have a third shot. Also requires a definition of close enough, because anyone dumb enough to wander into two Cymoons with Vader with his single ISD better have a plan.

2 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

It's exceedingly unlikely. That ISD has to blunder into range, and you have to hit nearly perfect shots both times. Consider it another way, that is two Ackbar Assault Cruisers with QBT and LS procs. Do I want to get caught in that zone of death? Of course not. Is it likely it will kill me? Also no. I won't survive the third shot very probably, but you don't have a third shot. Also requires a definition of close enough, because anyone dumb enough to wander into two Cymoons with Vader with his single ISD better have a plan.

So I actually proxy'd this last night against a very skilled player using a normal sloan list with an ISD1, QF and 2 Gonzo's.  We were both amazed at how well the dice were rolling because I killed the ISD1 in three shots.  He did get one of my Cymoons but it came down to a last roll on dengar otherwise I would have landed on the station and repaired and his QF went down at the start of the next round so he wouldnt have been able to kill it the damaged Cymoon.  I also am reworking the Fighters as I only had Valen, Cienna and an advance.  He had 8 Fighters, 2 Shuttles. 

7 red dice at Long range is very nasty with vader because you dont have to lose a dice to reroll them, you dont have to be slower then them to get your 1 blue with QBT for LS which means you can dictate the speed a bit more to get in range, and adding IF to one of them is icing on the cake.  This allows you to roll your 7 dice (CF Dial and Spinal), Vader what came up blank and if you still get a blank, use IF to switch one blank to a hit.  I think out of like 5 or 6 total rolls I had one red dice that was blank after all the modifications.  Its brutal.  

I am not saying its unstoppable, but it was nice to kill things from long range.

1 minute ago, ripper998 said:

So I actually proxy'd this last night against a very skilled player using a normal sloan list with an ISD1, QF and 2 Gonzo's.  We were both amazed at how well the dice were rolling because I killed the ISD1 in three shots.  He did get one of my Cymoons but it came down to a last roll on dengar otherwise I would have landed on the station and repaired and his QF went down at the start of the next round so he wouldnt have been able to kill it the damaged Cymoon.  I also am reworking the Fighters as I only had Valen, Cienna and an advance.  He had 8 Fighters, 2 Shuttles. 

7 red dice at Long range is very nasty with vader because you dont have to lose a dice to reroll them, you dont have to be slower then them to get your 1 blue with QBT for LS which means you can dictate the speed a bit more to get in range, and adding IF to one of them is icing on the cake.  This allows you to roll your 7 dice (CF Dial and Spinal), Vader what came up blank and if you still get a blank, use IF to switch one blank to a hit.  I think out of like 5 or 6 total rolls I had one red dice that was blank after all the modifications.  Its brutal.  

I am not saying its unstoppable, but it was nice to kill things from long range.

That is much closer to what I expect, though I would like to know how fast the I-1 came in. Knowing that you're facing Cymoons with Vader, you need to close fast, and speed 1+speed 3=speed 4=the entirety of weapons range. It's not necessarily easy to arrange, but that is definitely my play there.

Imagine a Cymoon attacking at long range....

Then imagine an Arquitens with Enhanced Armament and Concentrate Fire, also rolling 5 dice at long range.... but for only 64 points!   

I have a feeling Raddus is gonna put the kibosh on my Arquitens Conga Line success though.  

5 minutes ago, GiledPallaeon said:

That is much closer to what I expect, though I would like to know how fast the I-1 came in. Knowing that you're facing Cymoons with Vader, you need to close fast, and speed 1+speed 3=speed 4=the entirety of weapons range. It's not necessarily easy to arrange, but that is definitely my play there.

Positioning is important as well.  I lost the game based on tokens since I wanted to try to see how fire lanes with his two shuttles would stack up and if I could get to his carrier in time (which I couldnt) because we deployed on opposites sides of the board about and I did a flank manuever in and had vader on the outside coming in at speed 3 to try and snipe his carrier and my strategic advisor carrier was on the inside.  The mistake on my part was I should have had swapped them and had vader on the inside as he has the EWS which would have blunted his squadron softning up stage.  His ISD came in at speed two and slowed to speed 1 but was using the station as obstruction while he racked up tokens.  It worked out in his favor because he killed one of my cymoons.  But still, the damage output is what my point is and it was the best I have done with an ISD on a consistent basis at longer range...ever

26 minutes ago, Crabbok said:

Imagine a Cymoon attacking at long range....

Then imagine an Arquitens with Enhanced Armament and Concentrate Fire, also rolling 5 dice at long range.... but for only 64 points!   

I have a feeling Raddus is gonna put the kibosh on my Arquitens Conga Line success though.  

I've got my local Regionals two weeks after the wave drops, and I'm currently planning on running a Cymoon and a pair of Arquitens under Vader, with a Gozanti bumbling along feeding a couple of CF tokens to the ISD and pushing my tiny squadron screen around otherwise. Having SA filling the officer slot on the Cymoon does mean I have to be a lot more careful about ensuring I have the tokens necessary for at least a couple of effective IF rounds, but I imagine that essentially going from 4 activations to 5 will more than make up for that.

1 hour ago, BrobaFett said:

Given this gif and the other one posted, it seems like he's getting his heart rate up pretty regularly already.

7 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

I think it's seeing daily hardcore usage. It's just that these guys are eating too much brown rice, sweet potatoes, and broccoli and not nearly enough bacon, and butter in their coffee...

21 hours ago, X Wing Nut said:

And this card only makes things worse 

Imperial II 120 • Admiral Sloane 24 Strategic Adviser 4 • Boarding Troopers 3 • Electronic Countermeasures 7 • Leading Shots 4 • XI7 Turbolasers 6 • Avenger 5

Gozanti Cruisers 23 

Gozanti Cruisers 23 

Gozanti Cruisers 23 

Maarek Stele 21 Colonel Jendon 20 Saber Squadron 12 Valen Rudor 13 Zertik Strom 15 Ciena Ree 17 TIE Fighter Squadron 8

Total 398

22w3yf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator 

PASS RULE LIKE IN IMPERIAL ASSAULT WHY IS THAT SO HARD???

lose 1 gozanti for a 25 bid and it's even more worse.. maybe bump up 2 non coms net goz to assault with a 15 point bid.... flotilla spam is the problem with the activation advantage rules.. until they nerf flotilla spam in some way there is no fix.    

2 hours ago, Daht said:

lose 1 gozanti for a 25 bid and it's even more worse.. maybe bump up 2 non coms net goz to assault with a 15 point bid.... flotilla spam is the problem with the activation advantage rules.. until they nerf flotilla spam in some way there is no fix.    

Until the game stops using turn order there will be no peace. 

:0