Sign in to follow this  
Green Knight

Early Warning System

I don't think it is worth 7 points for general play. We have had Montferrat for ages and I haven't seen him that often and he doesn't have to pre-announce his hull zone. Generally I think defense slots are more valuable than an officer slot that's why players sometimes swap one for the other with Tua. 

EWS does work v squadrons however so that's a big plus if you know you will be facing slow B-wings or uncommanded fighters who rely on a large ship overlapping them each turn. Evens speed 3 fighters however will be able to dance round to a different shield.

25 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

I don't think it is worth 7 points for general play. We have had Montferrat for ages and I haven't seen him that often and he doesn't have to pre-announce his hull zone. Generally I think defense slots are more valuable than an officer slot that's why players sometimes swap one for the other with Tua. 

EWS does work v squadrons however so that's a big plus if you know you will be facing slow B-wings or uncommanded fighters who rely on a large ship overlapping them each turn. Evens speed 3 fighters however will be able to dance round to a different shield.

Montferrat doesn't apply to squadrons, though. And yes, this isn't a 100% foolproof squadron defense, but denying a whole hull zone to them makes a BIG difference in defending against them. One of the great strengths of squadrons is the ability pick and choose target hull zones--to soften up the zone your big ship is about to follow-up into, or exploiting the shot it just made, regardless of where the damage was dealt. This gives you a squadron black hole to redirect that all into without penalty.

This also dramatically improves maneuver-based defensibility when dodging squadrons on your way in to kill the carrier. Usually, shrimp and sometimes CR90's can position so that squadron fire has to come from a particular direction. It's a core competency for flying those ships against squadrons: be able to point the hull zone you want in the direction you want. This just rewards good play even more, while adding some flexibility by letting YOU decide which hull zone that will be.

I don't think this is an auto include upgrade for all ships by any means. But since it was sorta-spoiled, I've been paying attention to occasions when I'd benefit from it on my shrimp, and they are numerous. Much more so than RBD or ECM.

Edited by Ardaedhel
brain faster than fingers. forgot paragraph. must coffee.

3 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

Montferrat doesn't apply to squadrons, though. And yes, this isn't a 100% foolproof squadron defense, but denying a whole hull zone to them makes a BIG difference in defending against them. One of the great strengths of squadrons is the ability pick and choose target hull zones--to soften up the zone your big ship is about to follow-up into, or exploiting the shot it just made, regardless of where the damage was dealt. This gives you a squadron black hole to redirect that all into without penalty.

I don't think this is an auto include upgrade for all ships by any means. But since it was sorta-spoiled, I've been paying attention to occasions when I'd benefit from it on my shrimp, and they are numerous. Much more so than RBD or ECM.

I think this will be a big boon to MC30s more than anyone else. 

16 minutes ago, jamie nasmyth said:

I think this will be a big boon to MC30s more than anyone else. 

But the cost is my worry. 7 extra points on a tooled up MC30 that may have already bought Admonition, APT, OE and maybe an officer. Plus MC30s love to double arc opponents so it may not be that useful.

23 minutes ago, Mad Cat said:

But the cost is my worry. 7 extra points on a tooled up MC30 that may have already bought Admonition, APT, OE and maybe an officer. Plus MC30s love to double arc opponents so it may not be that useful.

Based on my past history bombers have been admonition’s down fall forcing them to move around more will help a lot and be more effective than rbd’s. Damage avoided/prevented is better than damage removed. 

While it is a tool against squads... most of them will just go for another zone and kill you anyway. I'm not sold on this one, if it was around 4 points, I'd toss them on arq-s who just circle around the edge of the fight anyway. Too expensive for small ships, too situational for big ones for my liking.

5 minutes ago, Coldhands said:

While it is a tool against squads... most of them will just go for another zone and kill you anyway. I'm not sold on this one, if it was around 4 points, I'd toss them on arq-s who just circle around the edge of the fight anyway. Too expensive for small ships, too situational for big ones for my liking.

Anything that forces Yavaris squads to move Halves their damage output.

5 minutes ago, Coldhands said:

While it is a tool against squads... most of them will just go for another zone and kill you anyway.

Where this really helps is early game, that very first engagement, which often means so much to a game of Armada. Last tournament I was in, the game I lost I'd suffered about 10 damage before ships were ever even in range. My opponent's squadrons couldn't have gotten to my sides, we're talking early, long range engagement. This would have completely negated that damage, letting me push both undamaged ISDs into his carriers. This card is massive for a no squadron ISD list.

Just now, IronNerd said:

Where this really helps is early game, that very first engagement, which often means so much to a game of Armada. Last tournament I was in, the game I lost I'd suffered about 10 damage before ships were ever even in range. My opponent's squadrons couldn't have gotten to my sides, we're talking early, long range engagement. This would have completely negated that damage, letting me push both undamaged ISDs into his carriers. This card is massive for a no squadron ISD list.

This.

I've been saying this.

I'd like your post, but I'm out of likes.

This will help lists that have a small fighter contingent of 30-40 fighters.  Use them to protect your flanks and put the chaff on the front.  This wave really is working to make big ships great again

14 minutes ago, TheToad said:

I’m toying with the idea of running a pack of exodus fleet 30’s. I’m curious if they’ll be tankier than admo and foresight... EWS could help

Mitigation is better than recovery imo. Plus to get use out of exodus you have to not Nav or confire- much rather just cancel the incoming damage altogether