VAYASAN

Table setup thread. Pics / Inspiration.

4 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

So much to paint.  Do you find your dedication to detail drops on terrain with so much to do or can you stick at it well?

I think it depends on the terrain. The imperial terrain is very nice with nice detail. The legion terrain next to it is more bland. I way wait to paint and wait for my prusa 3d printer to arrive so I can print some detail parts for it. I have time from now and release date. I love the SW theme. I want to paint to the best of my ability. I really  don’t have the most experience doing this. I watch YouTube vids for tips. I only been doing this for 4 years or less. I, so far done robotech rpg tactics and 3 team yankee armies.  It gets better as you go along for me. This is one of them things that you either like or have. I also have board games that need to be painted. I done Dark Souls and it was great practice. But terrain I find it easier than minis so I’m ok with painting it. I do want a nice place to match my minis!!

How have you found the MDF kits are to paint? I tried my hand at trying to paint some kits up for another game... and they were a real pain to get primed up as they tended to drink up paint like it was their job! Have you found a good way to get them primed without losing details to multiple base coats?

After weeks of work, here's what I have so far on our desert mat and terrain. Seeing it all at once makes it apparent that more size variation would make the board look more natural, so I'll be making some boulders. 

0vq1cUU.jpg

I also should have ironed the brand new canvas before making the mat.

0jTj4s0.jpg

Statue rubble from a bygone era.

quzfKFh.jpg

Vaporator for scale, still WIP. Cork bark outcropping.

mn8XElF.jpg

Old ruins.

6auDPBN.jpg

Speeder wreck makes some sand trenches for troopers.

a8iHVEr.jpg

Next up, my Lah'mu mat

On 3/4/2018 at 11:39 AM, VAYASAN said:

Endor Done

O2SaMU8.jpg

G8GNINg.jpg

58VHJgx.jpg

Q1RsgrQ.jpg

XurbgIU.jpg

b3rKQrm.jpg

wEpvSIF.jpg

Scariff work in progress.  Got to base the Palm Tree bases, got to paint the water nd then add some scatter Rogue one things like the masterswitch etc.

wC3tUkX.jpg

LOZwU2T.jpg

en8Jx7B.jpg

What size trees and where did you get them?

1 hour ago, Kanawolf said:

What size trees and where did you get them?

If you mean Scariff, this is a copy of a PM I sent somebody on same subject.

Hi.     There are 2 types of Palms in there(both off Ebay).  I based on wood and a layer of sand.  Added in some very cheap plastic plants and some lichen on the bases round the trees too.  The dark green lichen really helped I think despite normally thinking lichen looks a bit fake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Tropical-Palm-Trees-Model-Train-Railroad-Wargame-Diorama-Scenery-1-65-14cm/282112722183?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Tropical-Coconut-Palm-Tree-Model-Train-Railroad-Wargame-Scenery-1-65-16cm/281996792181?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I think I bought 3 bags of each and I had quite a few spares.  They came MUCH quicker than was advertised, maybe a week, not sure if thats just lucky or not.

Brilliant first effort.  Looks good.

If I were to be super critical, if you make moe area terrain, try make some that are more rounded too as well as squared.  

I think one of those hills would be nice in the middle too, break up LOS a little more and give a position more central to 'fight over' rather than possibly somebody just setting up camp on a hill in their start zone.

5 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Brilliant first effort.  Looks good.

If I were to be super critical, if you make moe area terrain, try make some that are more rounded too as well as squared.  

I think one of those hills would be nice in the middle too, break up LOS a little more and give a position more central to 'fight over' rather than possibly somebody just setting up camp on a hill in their start zone.

thanks and I agree, i was using a skill saw to cut my 1/4 MDF plates to make the bases so they all ended up pretty square.  Most of the way through the project i realized i had a jig saw somewhere and some of the smaller tree clumps have better more interesting bases.  Most of the paining and things are done just a couple more plates to flock.  Since I took these I also bought a river that can stretch across the board, my water effects turned out very poorly.

Edited by azavander

2 minutes ago, OMGBRICK said:

@Big Easy what material did you use to build up the dirt around that crashed Airspeeder? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing

Styrofoam and a $8 bucket of filler from Home Depot. After doing a bit of this I'd advise to get the shape as close as possible with the foam and use the filler just to harden/texture.