VAYASAN

Table setup thread. Pics / Inspiration.

Im looking to put Modelling Sand down to make Scariff, whats the best way, paste some PVA and Water to the surface then sprinkle the sand onto it?  

Its very white/light sand, will the moisture/glue darken the sand?

1 hour ago, VAYASAN said:

Im looking to put Modelling Sand down to make Scariff, whats the best way, paste some PVA and Water to the surface then sprinkle the sand onto it?  

I live somewhere full of sand. Literally the countrys a dessert and i would love to find this out as well

1 hour ago, VAYASAN said:

The sand i used probably wasn't as light as yours, but mine did not darken a whole lot in the gluing process. I would start with a light coloured base. The base of mine was simply white Styrofoam I salvaged from a shipping box. My sand was a beach so i wanted it pretty flat. If you were to do wind blown dunes, now is the time to add thise details using filler (spackle), or clay, or whatever.

I sifted my sand 3 times to get a precise selection of different grain size. I used kitchen sifters. I would then start with PVA, as you mentioned, and lay down a solid coat of the finest sand. Repeat after it dries if you need to thicken spots where your base shows through. If darkening the sand is a worry, I'd skip the watered down spray PVA until the end. After your fine sand is dried, do a layer of slightly coarser sand. Dont cover it as thick or solid as the fine sand. Use it more like an accent to give texture. If you have another coarse sand, do the same again, but even more selectively. Once all the PVA is dried, then give it a final spray of water/PVA to solidify it.

Personally I had the exact opposite issues, as I was trying to achieve a black sand beach that looked natural. I woukd suggest using a tiny piece of foam, and doing that process in a test phase. See if it dries the colour you want. If not, using a mixture of light coloured paint in the process might help.

2 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

What is model sand?  

Would that be a REALLY fine Woodland Scenics type product?

20 minutes ago, Dash Two said:

What is model sand?  

Would that be a REALLY fine Woodland Scenics type product?

Sorry ive no idea really, just the Sand I noted on Ebay was called Modelling sand...think its just....sand :)

3 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Sorry ive no idea really, just the Sand I noted on Ebay was called Modelling sand...think its just....sand :)

10-4

Fortunately, I live in a area that is rocky; sandy; full of cacti ... walk in my backyard and get most of that but it is not fine/to scale for the models.  Thus, trying to find a solution.  Yet to find something at any of the hobby stores fitting the bill.  

The most economical product I’ve found is the Play sand bags they sell at home centers.  They’re only a few dollars and you could probably get a full 6x3table done with a single bag.  It’s a little too fine for general basing IMO but would be perfect for a desert table. 

I would suggest a visit to a hardware store.

They will sell sand that would be suitable for a child's sand pit and even sand that would be used for mortar in brick work (washed river sand). The Washed River Sand was nice and coarse and included a variety of textures, from fine sand to small rocks, which was perfect for basing models. I purchased a 5kg bag and my wife threw it out in a clean up, so the $5 bag probably would have lasted me a lifetime.

Beach sand in Sydney is so fine it has almost no definable surface once glued down to a piece of terrain or on the base of a model.

12 minutes ago, Amanal said:

I would suggest a visit to a hardware store.

They will sell sand that would be suitable for a child's sand pit and even sand that would be used for mortar in brick work (washed river sand). The Washed River Sand was nice and coarse and included a variety of textures, from fine sand to small rocks, which was perfect for basing models. I purchased a 5kg bag and my wife threw it out in a clean up, so the $5 bag probably would have lasted me a lifetime.

Beach sand in Sydney is so fine it has almost no definable surface once glued down to a piece of terrain or on the base of a model.

I know what you mean. I grabbed a couple of handfuls from Narrabeen and found exactly what you said......Then luck would have it, this morning a truck delivered a load of sand across the road where their doing some building!!!

On 24/01/2018 at 2:33 AM, Copes said:

6ZuaQkO.jpg

If you make a new piece that takes up all of the bottom-right quadrant (replacing the small piece next to the tape), then lay it out on a blue cloth, then add some palm trees, you could have a Scariff board too. 

:D

Got the 6x3 Endor and the 3x3 Tattoine finished...and with the laterthan hoped for release date im now fully underway with a Scariff board.  

Got the boards cut to make the 'island' shapes and I have sand etc ready....just the 2x  3x3 Base boards delivery has bee delayed.  Pics as soon as something worthy of pics is ready :)

I am always blown away by everything you guys post on these forums. Your tables and dioramas are amazing. My contribution to this thread is my Raxus Prime inspired table set up. I don't necessarily know that I would use every single one of these pieces in a real game, but I wanted to make sure I had lot of set up options to keep things interesting. I pretty much built all of this from scratch with trash and around the house items other than the Bandai ATST and T47 models. I hope you enjoy the pics!

d9b79acef74879df4b1e9b163721c3ca.jpg

4e1dcf07dea01e74dad828fac32597f9.jpg

e1c4e25de7c8b52e9f3f318f39baa373.jpg

838baecb5c147e52b8327acd76cfe9d4.jpg

e2dc7ba0ecf2d4e2d777dfa708e86dcb.jpg

cc3d640e95393055be5766216670e288.jpg

3a9cbd76a5aa7af64a6ba909641e5541.jpg

529b0914d4681d830537b1e1186ec543.jpg

5770594a8b0e0b4a82caf796ac148b12.jpg

489f7547696244c9eb09c9594d99ed32.jpg

b06b5fec5331730a1989f099384a02a6.jpg

7409c154e58b902d8004e1a354796a19.jpg

4 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Looks great....looked at that myself too.

I think it would look great with a building or two or a few Moisture Vaporators from Imperial Terrain too.

That’s exactly what I’m doing. I’ll print some cool stuff of thingyverse too.

40 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Has anyone found any Scariff/Rogue one stuff to print online such as the scatter(technical stuff laying round the base area?)

Anyone who could design and print these boxes would definitely make money on it. I'd pay a premium for a pack of these!

tumblr_p0uvmu5SSq1vfnoi0o2_1280.png